It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » I made it and fabrication

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:07 am 
Reply with quote Top  
After seeing a Jimny with a Kwicky pop-up roof top tent I finally made my mind up and began making a roof system I would have some faith in, to support a tent on my swb GV.
The factory roof racks use a plastic foot and an aluminum rail and factory rated to 40kg, the kings tent is 58kg although ive seen factory rails used with a tent I also wanted the option of mounting other accessories so.....

The mounting points are wider at the front, they also angle outwards and do not align front to back the roof is also curved along its length. my first attempt had feet welded to a 25x50x2mm frame which i could then not remove due to the bolt alignment.

Back to the drawing board, I made feet that would create a flat plane to allow a rack to be built off, everything I did was there-abouts measurements using 50x3mm plate and 30x3mm angle. the roof bolts are m6 and are 70mm apart.
I tacked the highest sitting end then with both mount bolted down I used a long spirit level to align them front to back then leveled side to side.

I added some side plates then final welded them, dont look to close to my welds i am trying to problem solve an inconsistent arc with my welder.

the main arms of the rack are 50x50x2mm sections and dimensions are around 1100mm wide by 1600 long with 25x25x2mm reinforcing. The plan is a kings rooftop tent a 40" light bar and possibly a solar panel. ill update as I acquire parts.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:35 am 
Reply with quote Top  
finished it and took it for a trip up the beach, however, had 4x4 failure so turned around and came home but put it through some rough terrain and feels solid.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 1995 Suzuki Vitara JX LWB G16B

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:06 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Looking good, shame about losing 4x4

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:51 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I have built the rack on my SQ625 GV & had real concerns about 2 x M6 studs at each corner being up to hanging onto any sort of load, but it has bee rock solid & I put an RV3 Oztent (18kg) plus custom rack sack bag with folding chairs, clothes bags, tarp, extra poles & pegs - ie, all sorts of crap up there.
The feet on my rack are shaped & folded to closely follow the roof & even wrap over into the roof channel to lock in place.
The rack itself is 25mm x 25mm box & has 2 x M8 allen cap bolts going horozontally through angle at the top of the feet that the rack sits on.
Rgs, Michael

Jump to: