It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:50 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » I made it and fabrication

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
So you have that 2000 Baleno you brought to part out and make some money from (as the missus thinks, haha) and you think those seats would be much better in the SJ51.
But you read through all the threads. Just drill 2 holes. Oval out 2 holes. Weld a bit here, cut a bit there. Make these plates etc etc. Then the drivers seat is too high, cut the mounts out bla bla bla. :deadhorse:

Well that sound pretty shit. Lets break out the tape measure. Hmm, I think I have a better idea!

Remove seats from both vehicles. Remove both sets of adjuster rails. If you need instructions on doing this, it is best not to proceed.
2000 GLX Baleno on the left. Rooted seats as fitted to the Sierra on the right.

Remove recliner knob and side plastic trim from Baleno and recliner shield from Sierra seats

Cut all of the upholstery clips to release the seat covers from the Sierra seats. Wear eye protection.
Roll up the seat back cover to access the back rest recliner bolts.

Undo the bolts on the recliner and remove seat back. Keep the Sierra recliner and seat base. Discard the Sierra back rest. Suzuki made the foam part of the seat base. Remove seat cover from base then get outside and strip all of the foam from the Sierra seat base as best you can. Wear a facemask as the dust is disgusting!

Now unclip the upholstery on the Baleno seats. Only a couple of clips on the seat back to be cut. The others just pull forward and slide off the seat base frame. Keep the back rest, base foam and base cover. Discard base frame.

The next job is to fit the Sierra seat base frame to the Baleno seat foam and cover. You will note that the passenger and drivers foams are slightly different. I needed to trim some foam to make the passenger seat sit a bit lower at the front.
Passenger side sitting high at front before trimming

Stretch seat cover over frame and either hook onto frame or use new upholstery clips to retain as required. Don’t have upholstery clips? Go to Bunnings and buy a pair of fence wire ring pliers and wire rings!
Passenger side after tensioning cover.

Drivers side

Now you will need to redrill the holes for the Baleno seat backs into the Sierra recliner. Seems I forgot to take pictures. :oops: Easy to work out. Spacing is the same between the 2 recliners. Temporarily fit the Baleno seat back to the Sierra base and level the seat back to the seat base. Mark 1 hole and drill. Use Baleno recliner as a template.
Once drilled. Refit Baleno seat back to Sierra base and tension bolts. Back recliner bolts first then base recliner bolts. Roll back down seat back cover and resecure with upholstery clips.

Refit Sierra recliner covers.

Your seats are now ready to fit your Sierra rails back onto and fit to the car.

Factory seat runners and seat base frames that bolt to the floor as per the factory. That has to be a good thing?

Problems?
The seat back is ever so slightly off centre. I can not feel it when sitting on them..
The driver’s seat base is lower at the front than the passenger side. This is due to the difference in the seat foams and the Baleno’s driver’s seat being designed with the lifting mechanism. The backs are at the same angle when fitted to the car though so not obvious until you look at the seat bases. I may add extra foam to the drivers side to lift the front as it is quite flat. Plenty of headroom and vision though.

Pictures fitted to vehicle coming soon..

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:43 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Nice write up mate. You still in the suzuki game then i see?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:28 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Brenno wrote:
Nice write up mate. You still in the suzuki game then i see?

Cheers mate.

Yep. Poor old Toyuki is not getting its rego paid this year. Too long in way to many pieces.
I brought a very rough 85 SJ51 JX 4 seater early last year and put alot of Toyuki's good bits in it. Am doing this one the way I should have done Toyuki in the first place!
No angle grinder through the tub or Toyota parts in this one..

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:39 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ah awesome, make sure you do a build thread! Make AZ great again!

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:08 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
As promised. Pictures of seats installed

Showing the slight offset in the seat back to base. I think this will easily be fixed with a tweak to the inner seat back mount.

I am expecting this to be treated as new foam and covers rather than a different seat install so no need for a seat mod-plate.

I live here!
I live here!

Vehicle: JB74

Post Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Brenno wrote:
Ah awesome, make sure you do a build thread! Make AZ great again!

Armsup

Jump to: