It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Good Tech

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:40 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Recently i put a G16B 16V EFI, out of a 1994 vitara, into my 1991 sierra WT. Thought i would post up a little "how to do it" type thing for anyone that is looking into doing it. PLEASE dont dribble on with rubbish in this thread, just add things that will help.. otherwise it will be 20 pages long full of crap.. and pretty much pointless!!
Well, i got an adaptor kit from BenT (through outerlimits.com). This cost $200AU inc shipping to my house. In the kit, you get eng mount adaptors, bell housing adaptor plate, studs etc etc, and very detailed instructions!! I got the motor locally with lume, comp, starter, airbox, dash, and exh manifold. I also got the EFI fuel tank. Firstly i removed the old 1.3.. RIP.
Nows a good time to clean the eng bay! My zook is SOA, so i didnt need to alter the sump. If yours isnt SOA, there is heaps of info about altering the sump around this forum! Next i prepared the 1.6. Put the 1.3 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate onto the new 1.6. Like most of the conversion, Its a bolt on fit :D . Next is the eng mounts. On the exh side of the 1.6, bolt on the 1.3 eng mount. In BenT's kit you get 2X 6mm thick washers.. these are to be fitted as shown (on the top two bolts of the eng mount)
The intake side 1300 mount needed the holes to be opened up a tad (2mm or so).. so it could fit the block. A round file took care of that!
Now, another part of BenT's kit!! Bolt the box section eng mount adaptor to the rubber eng mount..
Now, to fit the 1.3 clutch cable bracket to the 1.6, i had to cut a small triangular shape out of the bracket, so it would clear the eng mount.
then in the back of the block, i removed the 2 tubular dowels, and then removed the 2 studs from the gearbox.
Now again in the BenT kit, get out the 2 studs, and the 2 countersunk cap screws. Put the 2 studs into the top 2 holes in the block, with the longer stud going into the hole that had the dowel.
Then i bolted the adaptor plate to the gearbox.. using the 2 countersunk cap screws.
Now you can put the new 1.6 in place!! Lower it in, and then bolt it up to the gearbox using the parts that are in the BenT kit. I had to loosen the gearbox mount to enable the eng mounts to line up so i could bolt them on.. think this is a common thing to do though. As for the starter motor, it says everywhere to use the 1.6, cause its narrower. The starter that came off my 1.6 is exactly the same as the 1.3 starter!! So i put the 1.3 starter onto the new motor (cause it was fairly new).. and it works fine!! Not sure what happened there.. but im happy. You can get a 1.3 starter to fit, it just needs grinding. There is info about this on the forum though. Heres the motor sitting in place..
As for the EFI fuel line side of things, i brought some EFI hose, EFI filter, and EFI hose clamps.. and replaced the non EFI hose/filter with it. I did continue to use the original steel fuel line that runs along the chassis though, which saved heaps of mucking around! I made up some mounts for the new tank. This is one hell of a tight fit!! I have a custom rear shocky bar, which just allowed enough room. But using this tank made life easier, cause the pump is built inside the tank. I lost no depature angle/clearance either!!
All of the heater hoses and radiator hoses hooked straight up to the 1.6, cause their in the same spot!! As for the radiator, alot of people do run their 1.3 radiator with the 1.6 eng.. i tried, but didnt work.. kept overheating. A clean out of the radiator would have fixed it.. but for the same price i got a 1.6 radiator.. few custom mounts and it fits in beautiful. The exhaust, sometimes the manifold will hit the chassis rail. I was lucky again.. mine misses by about 15mm. If it does hit, they say extractors will clear. The eng pipe i used is off an SS commodore.. the flange etc was the same!!
Next was the wiring. I got help with this..it was a nightmare!! this isnt all of what i started with.. there was more!!
but i ended up with this
It was a pain to get the right diagram too.. www.suzukiinfo.com have all the wiring diagrams on their site for free!! If not, ask around.. heaps of people have them on their harddrive. Pretty much, you have to sort out what you do, and dont need. For eg.. you dont need the 1.6 interior light.. so snip snip. But you do need the 1.6 starter signal.. so dont snip snip. But before you do snip, you have to make sure that the wire doesnt supply power (or earth) to something else that you do need!! Its a pain in the arse!! You can buy lumes ready to go from USA.. or ask around on the forum, theres a couple of people that have done a bloody good job in the past that may be interested in helping you!! But it is a VERY time consuming job.. and a job that shouldnt be stuffed up.. so it may cost a fair few $$. I ended up mounting the comp, relays and diognostic plugs in the dash.
Now the VSS (vehicle speed sensor).. apparantly this has to be hooked up for a few reasons.. to tell the comp what speed your doing (or something like that).. which in return provides better fuel economy, but the most important, to stop that check eng light from staying on!! There a couple of ways to do it.. at the bottom of this page is one way to do it http://www.azrockcrawler.com/_images/te ... otor2.html

I did mine a similar way. I pulled apart the 1.6 and 1.3 dashes, and got to the speedo mechanisims (speedo).
On the 1.6 cluster, is the VSS. Its a lovely little thing.. which is very hard to describe. Its this thing here that has the 2 wires coming off it!
The 1.3 speedo was put aside.. and i then prepared the 1.6 speedo. I then hooked up the 2 wires, as pictured (remember this is on the 1.6 speedo now!!). The red one goes to the comp, the black one goes to earth. The 1.6 speedo will bolt straight back into the 1.3 cluster. The only thing that doesnt line up now is the backing plate (that has the speed etc on it). I cut the 1.3 and 1.6 plates in half, and put the 1.6 backing plate into the 1.3 cluster (same as the speedo.. so now its a 1.3 cluster and 1.3 backing plate, except for the speedo and the speedo backing plate, which is 1.6)
I cant think of anything else to put in here.. oh, heres what i did with the airbox. I used the 1.3 airbox, with the 1.6 air flow metre. Pictured here is the 1.3 radiator.. i now have the vitara radiator, so this set up has changed slightly.
Oh, i have 1" body lift.. and with this, it clears by about 2mm!!! Something else to consider.

The outcome is awesome.. im in love with EFI now!!!! 8O On road, theres heaps of power gain!!!!!! Off road, it crawls bloody beatiful now, and has HEAPS of bottom end grunt to. Wish i had of done it ages ago. Hope this help :D
Hope this helps..

Last edited by zookernator on Sun May 17, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:57 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Oh, and this is copywrighted too.. meaning it is not for outerlimits!!!! haha

Vehicle: A manly awesome man jimny

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:05 am 
Reply with quote Top  
zookernator wrote:

lol
good job mate. did you put the 1.3 sump on?

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:35 am 
Reply with quote Top  
My zook is SOA, so i didnt need to alter the sump. If yours isnt SOA, there is heaps of info about altering the sump around this forum! Next i prepared the 1.6.

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:55 am 
Reply with quote Top  
shep wrote:
zookernator wrote:

lol

no matey.. left the 1.6 as standard..

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:25 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
by the way. GREAT WRITE UP. WELL DONE
im impressed with the BenT kit, well worth the $200

Vehicle: A manly awesome man jimny

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:28 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
zookernator wrote:
shep wrote:
zookernator wrote:

lol

no matey.. left the 1.6 as standard..

i am SUA and left the 1.6 sump on, however lots of lift and moved the diff.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:55 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hello man,

Nice Job, Im buying the conversion kit from Ben soon, I have a 1994 Suzuki Samurai and Im preparing to convert its 1.3 standard engine into 1.6 Vitara but I have a small question>I didnt understand the part of the speedo meter, I just need to change the dash only right? No need to open the mechanism and play with it!

Concerning the lift kit, I dont know if I need to make it or not for the 1.6 cc 16 valce

Regards,

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
cutting off the 1.6 mount

the modified mount, done in vice

sump bashing

braised and mounted

1.6 end onto the 1.3 pickup

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 91 sierra, g16b,lift,30's

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:26 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hello it says u had a bodylift and were worried about clearences. Clearences for what exactly, I plan on doing this conversion very soon and am wondering if u need a bodylift as i currently dont have one and dont plan on on installing one.

Vehicle: '92 Sierra, 1.6efi, SPOA, 31s.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:52 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
i run 1.6 efi, with efi sump and jimny top end with no bodylift... pre-SPOA it still fit just fine.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:05 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Id like top know if it will fit just the standard g16b without bodylift.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:03 am 
Reply with quote Top  
The top of my G16B just touches the bonnet.. and i'm running a 1" body lift.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:07 am 
Reply with quote Top  
ill just have to modify the bonnet a little bit, its the only perks of living next to a panel beater.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:56 am 
Reply with quote Top  
i ave a G16A with no body lift but my bonet wouldnt close if i didnt have a gay little bonnet scoop

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:24 am 
Reply with quote Top  
ill do the bonnet scoop, i hate body lifts

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Nissan

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:58 am 
Reply with quote Top  
reeceh wrote:

or better yet buy these engine mounts which lowwer your engine so you dont need any bonnet mods :wink:

http://www.petroworks.com/Products.php? ... ductID=218

i got them here is my build thread, no i dont have a body lift:
http://www.auszookers.com/index.php?nam ... &start=360

Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Vitara, NGV

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:55 am 
Reply with quote Top  
alex wrote:
reeceh wrote:

or better yet buy these engine mounts which lowwer your engine so you dont need any bonnet mods :wink:

Or build some of these and fit a G16B under your 1L bonnet with no body lift :wink:

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:46 am 
Reply with quote Top  
What about the throttle cable dose the 1.3 one work on a vitara g16b

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Vitara, NGV

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 am 
Reply with quote Top  
85zooki wrote:

I've always use the vit throttle cable, as it has a 90 degree bend in it. The end just needs modifying. I just drill through the ball socket and put a bolt right through it.

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:25 am 
Reply with quote Top  

Vehicle: Sierra Ute '87 Sj70

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:52 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Fatzook wrote:
alex wrote:
reeceh wrote:

Or build some of these and fit a G16B under your 1L bonnet with no body lift :wink:

Where can I get some of those?
are they rubber mounted?
And how much lower are they how much sump chopping would I have to do with SPUA?

Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: G16b Sj80, Version 6 GC8 STi

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:24 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
This is awesome! I've got a G16B engine lined up with a wiring loom, I've also got a G16B fuel tank with fuel pump and a BenT adapter kit. What else do i need? Besides a Vitara dash? will be going in to my Coily.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Dont need to do the vss mod at all
My economy is 9.4 litres per 100km on hwy and 11 litres driving like a hoon around the city. Thats on 32"s and direct km comparison to a stock jimny to compensate for tyre/tcase

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:24 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Any chance on reloading the photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jump to: