It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Good Tech

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:51 am 
Reply with quote Top  
a questoion for those who use vc-vn commodore wagon shocks in the rear of the vits. the shock eye down the bottom has a 15mmx32mm metal sleeve and the vit one is 12x38. How do you change this over as it looks like it may need to be pressed in/out?

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: MY2019 Jimny

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:41 am 
Reply with quote Top  
BFH?

Vehicle: SJ51T

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:42 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I wacked a flat head screwdriver around the crush tube thing to remove the glue, then i used a drill to remove some of the rubber on the inside of the rubber bit of the commo shock and i wacked the vitara tube into the commo shock. used plenty of lube ;)

Vehicle: SQ625

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:12 am 
Reply with quote Top  
i used a vice and 2 sockets to press my old ones out and in to the commo shocks.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:31 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Has anyone out there in suzi land have a weber adaptor for 1.3 sierra if they have ,please PM me with info

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: SV420+SV620 Vitara's

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:37 am 
Reply with quote Top  
got_bar_work wrote:
i used a vice and 2 sockets to press my old ones out and in to the commo shocks.

Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:38 am 
Reply with quote Top  
mightymouse wrote:
Has anyone out there in suzi land have a weber adaptor for 1.3 sierra if they have ,please PM me with info

wrong thread maybe... :wink:

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:47 am 
Reply with quote Top  
the bush on the vit shock eye is 35mm diameter it looks like and bush diameter in commo shock is 30mm so the bush is too big to fit in the ring of the eye of the commo shock.

how do i handle this?

im still confused ay...

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:59 am 
Reply with quote Top  
good question, from memory i used the metal sleeve from the calmini shocks which had a thinner wall thickness.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:05 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
4x4ish wrote:
the bush on the vit shock eye is 35mm diameter it looks like and bush diameter in commo shock is 30mm so the bush is too big to fit in the ring of the eye of the commo shock.

how do i handle this?

im still confused ay...

I used a drill bit, I put the shock in a vice and went crazy with the drill. It carved little bits off the hole until the vitara sleeve fitted.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:08 am 
Reply with quote Top  
still confused...

so are u guys drilling the rubber bush in the eye?

is the aim to get out the bush with metal sleve intact from the vit shock and place the lot into the commo shock eye?

is the aim to get the 12mm metal sleeve only from the vitara eye bush and insert it into the commo shock bush after the 15mm metal sleeve has been removed from the bush from the commo shock?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:55 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I just removed the metal sleeve from the vitara and commo shock.. leaving the rubber bush in the eye. then i shaved some of the inside of the bush with a drill on the commo shock bush, then i wacked the vitara sleeve into the commo shock bush.

I never removed the bush from either shock.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:25 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I took my new Commo shocks to a suspension place and had them press the rubber bush and eyelet out, and replaced it with the correct size nylon one, cost me about $30 by memory and they should outlast the shocks so I will re-use them when it's time to replace the shock.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 am 
Reply with quote Top  
While on the subject, is the VC-VN wagon shock a better one to use over the VR shock?

I was told to use a VR shock as they are good for about 4"of lift, but atm I only have about 2"lift in the coils and on full flex I can pull the coil out becuase the shocks effectivley become too long! 8O

I am hoping to eventually change the rear coils to a 3"lift ???

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:54 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Mick70b wrote:
While on the subject, is the VC-VN wagon shock a better one to use over the VR shock?

I was told to use a VR shock as they are good for about 4"of lift, but atm I only have about 2"lift in the coils and on full flex I can pull the coil out becuase the shocks effectivley become too long! 8O

Your shocks wont have anything to do with your lift, only how much drop and compression you can have. your lift will depend on the coil you use.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:04 am 
Reply with quote Top  
matty_wall wrote:
Mick70b wrote:

Your shocks wont have anything to do with your lift, only how much drop and compression you can have. your lift will depend on the coil you use.

what he is saying is the length of the VR shock is too long allowing the coil to unseat & is asking if the VC-VN shocks are shorter and a better choice for his current springs.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 am 
Reply with quote Top  
atari4x4 wrote:
matty_wall wrote:
Mick70b wrote:

what he is saying is the length of the VR shock is too long allowing the coil to unseat & is asking if the VC-VN shocks are shorter and a better choice for his current springs.

baha now ive read it again i see what he really meannt. oops...

I have this problem as well, ive zip tied the base of my coils in. Its worked fine so far.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:08 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Ok i understand now. BUT the sleeve in the commo shock is thicker than the vit one so putting the vit sleeve in the commo one will be looser than a red light districk hooker.

The vc-vn wagon commo shocks by Gabriel are 530/320 open and closed measurements. this is good for about 2-3 inches of lift. Vt wagon commo shocks by Gabriel are 550/325 open and closed. this is good for 3-4 inches of lift/ travel. there are other commo shocks that are 650 long which is way too long, i dont know what model they are from.

82-88 rear camira shocks has a nice length of 552/324 that might fit also. Monroes part # 15-3145, $150 a pair from autobarn.

I just ordered some nissan nomad shocks today. will collect soon and let youz know how they go. lengths are good at 542/320, will have to see about the eye, bush situation.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:00 am 
Reply with quote Top  
4x4ish wrote:
Ok i understand now. BUT the sleeve in the commo shock is thicker than the vit one so putting the vit sleeve in the commo one will be looser than a red light districk hooker.

Thats intersting because my vitara sleeve has a bigger diameter then the commo sleeve, so i had to give it the beans to get the vitara sleeve into the commo bush even after i had removed some of the rubber from the bush.

Vehicle: 94 Vitara LWB

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:30 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi Mile .
Your Avatar shows your Rancho's installed . Aren't you happy with them ???

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:08 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Quote:
The vc-vn wagon commo shocks by Gabriel are 530/320 open and closed measurements. this is good for about 2-3 inches of lift.

Ah, this might be a better option for me unless I go for taller coils! Thanks for the info :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:12 am 
Reply with quote Top  
i post up a list of shocks for different cars and their lengths soon as i did alot of research to find longer shocks that fit vitara's.

Mick those Gabriel shocks are under $50 each from supercheap too.

Pete i like them ok but they are too long compressed length and i dont have anyone to extend my bumpstops and i dont know or have the tools to do it myself. I ordered 20mm bump stop spacers from ARB and the nissan shocks of closed length of 320. with this combination in its all done and dusted.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:18 am 
Reply with quote Top  
i just got some springs from the rear out of a silvia s13 /180sx, these give roughly 2-3" lift, so i need to know what shocks to run. just wondering of you (4x4ish) has got the shock lengths yet?

but looks like it will be VN-VC shocks.

cheers
Mitch

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:35 am 
Reply with quote Top  
yep, today i installed some shocks from a nissan nomad 87-93 model. they are about right length for my spring which is 360 long and gives 60mm lift. i had to gind approx 10mm of the metal sleeve in the bush of the eye mount. very easy mod.

the ride is like standard, not too hard or sift.

open and closed measurements are 320/542. they have 7cm more travell than standard vitara shocks and 3 cm less than the rancho's.

this is shocks for the rear vit side by side. standard vitara, monroe for a nissan nomad (part #15-0416), rancho (part # Rs 999179).

this is showing the metal sleeve in the eye of the monroe nissan nomad shock. it needs to be grinded back so its the same as the rancho size and fits in the vitara mount.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:57 am 
Reply with quote Top  
personally i think suzuki should be embaressed for puting such a short length shock. a nissan pulsar shoch is 8 cm longer than the vit one and clould possible fit. apart from the plastic front diff, this is the second stupidist thing they've done.

here are some rear shocks from other cars that might fit the rear of a vit for extra travel:
82-88 holden camira sedan. Open:552 Closed:324. monroe part #15-314

toyota tarago, nissan pulsar, holden astra, kia sportage. (sorry dont know what years). Open:545 Closed:326. monroe part #15-0211.

Holden commodore vt wagon. Open:550 Closed:325. Gabriel part #81865. (metal sleeve in bush eye needs to be changed from a 15mm to a 12mm)

Holden commodore vc-vn wagon. Open:530 Closed:320. Gabriel part # 81340. (same thing with metal sleeve here)

Unknown pedders shock but part # is 8019. Open 538 Closed:318. (they can fit correct metal sleeve in this shock also)

77-81 toyota cressida wagon. Open 513 Closed:310. Gabriel part # 81340

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Mitch can you measure exactly how much lift the 180 coils give and have u got a SWB or LWB vit and is it the 1.6L? the best way to measure is from the bottom lip of the rim to the wheel arch. this way tyre pressure/size doesnt affect the measurements.
Cheers.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Suzuki GV 03/ 2010 DDIS NGV

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:09 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
4x4ish wrote:
personally i think suzuki should be embaressed for puting such a short length shock. a nissan pulsar shoch is 8 cm longer than the vit one and clould possible fit. apart from the plastic front diff, this is the second stupidist thing they've done.

here are some rear shocks from other cars that might fit the rear of a vit for extra travel:
82-88 holden camira sedan. Open:552 Closed:324. monroe part #15-314

toyota tarago, nissan pulsar, holden astra, kia sportage. (sorry dont know what years). Open:545 Closed:326. monroe part #15-0211.

Holden commodore vt wagon. Open:550 Closed:325. Gabriel part #81865. (metal sleeve in bush eye needs to be changed from a 15mm to a 12mm)

Holden commodore vc-vn wagon. Open:530 Closed:320. Gabriel part # 81340. (same thing with metal sleeve here)

Unknown pedders shock but part # is 8019. Open 538 Closed:318. (they can fit correct metal sleeve in this shock also)

77-81 toyota cressida wagon. Open 513 Closed:310. Gabriel part # 81340

Why should suzuki be embarrased? Itsz the right shock length for a stock spring.

Chop

Suzuki's are like Mogwai's, they multiply!

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:33 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
ok cheers for those shock lengths, im sure they will be put to good use.

4x4ish wrote:
Mitch can you measure exactly how much lift the 180 coils give and have u got a SWB or LWB vit and is it the 1.6L? the best way to measure is from the bottom lip of the rim to the wheel arch. this way tyre pressure/size doesnt affect the measurements.
Cheers.

yeah will do, i havnt put the springs in yet as they are still in the strut from the previous owner. i will be getting that done when i can, and find someone who can do it, as i dont have a spring compressor. from memory they give 3" lift, i dont want this much as i have heard that it is to much for the stock suspension set up (arms, heim joint ect) so hoping for a bit over 2" (50mm) roughly 2.25-2.50" (65-75mm)

yeah its a 1.6 EFI SWB,

cheers
Mitch

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:14 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
yeah 3 inch is alot and you need to mod other stuff to accomodate.

changing shocks in the rear is easy as and you dont need a spring compressor. all u need to do is undo the bottom bolts of the shock, drive up a ramp so that the rear flexes out and opens up wide enough to take the old springs out and slide the new srprings in. sort of like my avatar pic. be careful not to drive down without a spring in there thou.

once new springs are in see how much lift they give. then drive up the ramp again a bit at a time until the flex starts to go let go of the spring then back up a tad just enough so the sring stays in its spot. measure the shock length needed from the top to bottom shock mounting points. Choose your new shock choice from there based on this flex measurement.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Chop wrote:

Why should suzuki be embarrased? Itsz the right shock length for a stock spring.

Chop

yes that is correct but they needed to put a longer spring and shock set in the rear. 30mm longer would be ok. A nissan pulsar and kia sportage have more flex looking at their shock lengths.

steel solid axle in the front would be sweet also. imagine if we could get the lift and flex in the front as what we can achieve in the rear. nice...

Jump to: