It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:02 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Good Tech



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:00 pm
Posts: 5063
Location: perth, Australia

Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Taff wrote:
I put gabriel 69609 in the rear of my vit on the weekend

I went to bunnings and bought a piece of steel tube with the ID of the bolt and the OD of the bush.. cut it to length, slipped it straight in and reused the old bolts.

cost $4 and took 1 minute.

no need for pressing or cutting+welding and the only tool you need is a hacksaw or grinder.


damn, u must have a good bunnings. i tried that but nothing :( i wish it was always that easy.

 Profile  

Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:00 pm
Posts: 79
Location: Adelaide
Vehicle: LWB Vitara

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:28 am 
Reply with quote Top  
can you put up a pic of what you mean taff.

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:31 pm
Posts: 832
Location: Melbourne

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:15 am 
Reply with quote Top  
So as most of you know using commodore shocks requires a bit of modification to the bushing in order to get a 12mm ID for the vit bolt.

I bought a set of commodore shocks for a VC-VN wagon where the bush has an ID of 16mm. My solution to fix this was to get some 16mm OD 2mm wall tube and cut 2 lengths at 38mm to fit inside. I had trouble finding tube in this diameter and wall thickness.

So to plan B. Superpro list a bush for a Gemini rear upper control arm bush and the 2 crush tubes it comes with are 16mm OD, 12mm ID and 40mm long so all i had to do was file off 2mm. Part# SPF0401K. Nolathane make a bush that comes with exactly the right length and diameter tube but its about $60 vs the superpro one that needs a bit of persuasion $30
All that needs to be done once the 2mm is filed off is a bit of dish washing liquid to lube it up and slip the crush tube into the bush and its all sweet.
SPF0401K

Image

Finished product ready to go in.

Image

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 4660
Location: Brisbane

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:48 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I had the same problems with the little rubber bushes on the Commo shocks.

Commodore shock on the left, Zook shock on the right
Image

Off with their heads! cut the eyes off both the Commo and Zook shocks, here's the bits ready for welding
Image

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt! Don't get 'em too hot :lol:
Image

Just like a bought one
Image

_________________
SJ50.4.LYF

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:31 pm
Posts: 832
Location: Melbourne

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:51 am 
Reply with quote Top  
that works pretty well too.

how safe is welding a gas charged shock though?

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 4660
Location: Brisbane

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:09 am 
Reply with quote Top  
jono165 wrote:
that works pretty well too.

how safe is welding a gas charged shock though?


Parental guidance recommended

Do not try this at home or at all :lol:

_________________
SJ50.4.LYF

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:00 pm
Posts: 5063
Location: perth, Australia

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:58 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Damo wrote:
I had the same problems with the little rubber bushes on the Commo shocks.

Commodore shock on the left, Zook shock on the right
Image

Off with their heads! cut the eyes off both the Commo and Zook shocks, here's the bits ready for welding
Image

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt! Don't get 'em too hot :lol:
Image

Just like a bought one
Image


thats why i got done to mine, i dont know if it would be rd legal tho. i think next time ill do the above :D
cheers

 Profile  

Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 249
Location: Darwin, N.T

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:56 am 
Reply with quote Top  
i run a front 2" lifted shock for a jeep XJ in the rear of my vit. it is soft, and longer than the commo ones. they are a straght bolt in jobby.

these will only work with 3"+ of lift, as they are fully closed on a std vit. you will also need to run a long-ish coil, other wise at full droop, the coil will fall out.

i used to run commo ones, but they weren't soft enough for me.

_________________
Zook = off-road weapon = BAZOOKA

 Profile  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:00 am
Posts: 3600
Location: Wollongong NSW
Vehicle: LWB Sierra & XL7

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:37 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Just to add to this thread... (to suit Vitara)

Calmini Vs VT commodore IRS Gabriel Pt #81865

As you can see, the calmini shocks are slightly longer. :(
However there has been talk that Calmini use Gabriel as their manufacturer, I havn't investigated this yet but the calmini part number is 658489

Image

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 6446
Location: Radelaide ofcourse!
Vehicle: Suzuki GV 03/ 2010 DDIS NGV

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:14 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I think you'll find its a VL commo shock you want for the vit. My kyb ones are alot longer than the cal ones.

_________________
Chop

Suzuki's are like Mogwai's, they multiply!

 Profile  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:00 am
Posts: 3600
Location: Wollongong NSW
Vehicle: LWB Sierra & XL7

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:43 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I had a close look at the VK / VL shocks when I was at the wreckers yesterday, but they seem to be the same length. I suppose I could get one and put it next to it to compare.

_________________
'92 Vitara & Camper trailer

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 6446
Location: Radelaide ofcourse!
Vehicle: Suzuki GV 03/ 2010 DDIS NGV

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:28 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ok just checked and the VL ones i have are'nt "alot" longer but they are 30mm longer than the cals.

_________________
Chop

Suzuki's are like Mogwai's, they multiply!

 Profile  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 5513
Location: Holland Park
Vehicle: Awesome!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 am 
Reply with quote Top  
buzbox wrote:
Just to add to this thread... (to suit Vitara)

Calmini Vs VT commodore IRS Gabriel Pt #81865

As you can see, the calmini shocks are slightly longer. :(
However there has been talk that Calmini use Gabriel as their manufacturer, I havn't investigated this yet but the calmini part number is 658489



Calmini slightly longer but which has the overall most travel from compressed to full extension?

_________________
Lil Foot!
http://tiny.cc/gtsw1

 Profile  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 am
Posts: 553
Location: Adelaide, SA
Vehicle: 92 SWB Vit G16A

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:29 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Ok, read this thread and now a little confused...

I have a 92 SWB vit and just want a 2" lift but without the bank loan of a Ironman/OME kit.

Rear: Which model holden shocks? Which springs?
Front: I think I am right in saying I need to buy Vitara struts with longer springs as other model cars don't fit?

Edit: Still needs to be comfy as it's driven to work and back every day.

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:04 pm
Posts: 236
Location: Perth

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Poita wrote:
Ok, read this thread and now a little confused...

I have a 92 SWB vit and just want a 2" lift but without the bank loan of a Ironman/OME kit.

Rear: Which model holden shocks? Which springs?
Front: I think I am right in saying I need to buy Vitara struts with longer springs as other model cars don't fit?

Edit: Still needs to be comfy as it's driven to work and back every day.


X2
Can you buy a decent kit off the shelf or do you mix and match?
Short of going a Calmini, what are the options for about 2"lift?

_________________
That is bucketload of stupid questions, not cash!

 Profile  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:00 am
Posts: 3600
Location: Wollongong NSW
Vehicle: LWB Sierra & XL7

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:11 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Dobinsons make a really good 2" raised shock and struts. They also do springs to suit and are very reasonably priced too.

_________________
'92 Vitara & Camper trailer

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:15 am
Posts: 1602
Location: Gold Coast

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:29 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
i currently have a 2inch lift thats very mix and match.
up front i have king springs (30-40mm lift), kyb struts and strut mount flip, which is only about 1.5 inch lift but with coil spacers i could easily bring it up to 2 inch.
on the rear i have commodore VC-VN wagon shocks, 30mm spacers and unknown springs. they were on the car when i got it and they have suzuki written on then but they a longer then stock so i think the must be GV coils.
this gives me 2 inch lift in the rear. sounds very ghetto spec but seems to all work well together, front sits lower but thats only coz i havnt put front spacers in yet.
a set of lifted coils, commodore shocks and a strut mount flip will give you about an inch lift fairly cheap but i think you would be better off with a aftermarket kit for around $800-900 then get spacers if you want more height after that.

 Profile WWW  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:00 pm
Posts: 5063
Location: perth, Australia

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:29 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
buzbox wrote:
Dobinsons make a really good 2" raised shock and struts. They also do springs to suit and are very reasonably priced too.


is this personal experience? ill be getting these soon, so im hoping that this is still correct.

 Profile  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:00 am
Posts: 3600
Location: Wollongong NSW
Vehicle: LWB Sierra & XL7

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:55 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I got the front in and, yeah they are good. The limiting factor are the brake lines, So I didn't bother putting the retaining clip back in and are just mounted above where they live, held on with good 'ol cable ties. Of course longer brake lines would be the better solution.

I bought them from the Sydney office and are much cheaper than buying them from a re-seller. You could buy direct from them and they will post it out to you, Or go onto their website and find your local supplier.

_________________
'92 Vitara & Camper trailer

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:04 pm
Posts: 236
Location: Perth

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:19 pm 
Reply with quote Top  

_________________
That is bucketload of stupid questions, not cash!

 Profile  

Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 21
Location: Gold Coast, QLD

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Does anybody know what size sleeve will be in the Camira shocks?

I'm probably going to buy some tomorrow, listed measurements are 338/579mm which is about right for my lifted Vit on 31's.

shandy92 wrote:
buzbox wrote:
Dobinsons make a really good 2" raised shock and struts. They also do springs to suit and are very reasonably priced too.


is this personal experience? ill be getting these soon, so im hoping that this is still correct.


I sent Dobinsons an email recently about their Vitara front struts GS57-620 and how much lift they supported, they replied with a price quote and simply said
"Hi, our maximum height for this vehicle is 35mm." :crazy: ?

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 6446
Location: Radelaide ofcourse!
Vehicle: Suzuki GV 03/ 2010 DDIS NGV

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:24 am 
Reply with quote Top  
jabtronic wrote:
Does anybody know what size sleeve will be in the Camira shocks?

I'm probably going to buy some tomorrow, listed measurements are 338/579mm which is about right for my lifted Vit on 31's.

shandy92 wrote:
buzbox wrote:
Dobinsons make a really good 2" raised shock and struts. They also do springs to suit and are very reasonably priced too.


is this personal experience? ill be getting these soon, so im hoping that this is still correct.


I sent Dobinsons an email recently about their Vitara front struts GS57-620 and how much lift they supported, they replied with a price quote and simply said
"Hi, our maximum height for this vehicle is 35mm." :crazy: ?


Yes thats correct, their maximum height springs is 35mm. the struts however are 50mm longer than stock :wink:

_________________
Chop

Suzuki's are like Mogwai's, they multiply!

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:00 pm
Posts: 5063
Location: perth, Australia

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:18 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Chop wrote:
jabtronic wrote:
Does anybody know what size sleeve will be in the Camira shocks?

I'm probably going to buy some tomorrow, listed measurements are 338/579mm which is about right for my lifted Vit on 31's.

shandy92 wrote:
buzbox wrote:
Dobinsons make a really good 2" raised shock and struts. They also do springs to suit and are very reasonably priced too.


is this personal experience? ill be getting these soon, so im hoping that this is still correct.


I sent Dobinsons an email recently about their Vitara front struts GS57-620 and how much lift they supported, they replied with a price quote and simply said
"Hi, our maximum height for this vehicle is 35mm." :crazy: ?


Yes thats correct, their maximum height springs is 35mm. the struts however are 50mm longer than stock :wink:


well i call bullsh*t, i got atleast 50mm when i put my springs in. maybe mine we saged. but it makes mine sit nose high, but only just.

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 6446
Location: Radelaide ofcourse!
Vehicle: Suzuki GV 03/ 2010 DDIS NGV

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:58 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Yeah their xl7 springs are 45mm, the rest are 35mm.
Probably just a difference from old to new shandy?

_________________
Chop

Suzuki's are like Mogwai's, they multiply!

 Profile  

Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 21
Location: Gold Coast, QLD

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:14 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
For those wondering, Holden Camira shocks can be made to fit.

I got some from this store
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Rear-Gas-S ... 675wt_1139

Dimensions say 338/579 but when I measured them they are larger, about 350/620? Maybe I'm not measuring them correctly.
The sleeve ID is 10mm but on mine the sleeves were glued into the bushes so I was able to progressively drill them out to 12mm and the bond didn't break. Also the sleeve width is slightly shorter than Vitara so I spaced mine out with washers.

Anyway being around 620 they might be too large for most. I have no idea what springs are in mine but I have about 600mm of clearance before the spring starts to unseat.

Pics
Image
Image

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:15 am
Posts: 1602
Location: Gold Coast

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:43 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
hey guys, if you get 50mm bump stop extensions you can run Gabriel #81556, they are 650mm fully extended. You will still need to drill out the sleeve just like all the others.
heres some pics of how i've done it. note that i've tried to make the bump stop smooth-ish so the coil slides up it nicely. these are 35mm king springs.

Image

Image

Image

 Profile WWW  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:00 am
Posts: 3600
Location: Wollongong NSW
Vehicle: LWB Sierra & XL7

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:59 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hmmm..

VT commodore IRS Gabriel Pt #81865

Vs

VL Wagon Pt# 69609


I was under the impression that the VL Wagon ones suppose to be longer than the VT, There is very little difference between them and they are a perfect fit for the crush tube, no modifications required.

Image

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 6446
Location: Radelaide ofcourse!
Vehicle: Suzuki GV 03/ 2010 DDIS NGV

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I pretty sure its VL sedan thats longest :wink:

_________________
Chop

Suzuki's are like Mogwai's, they multiply!

 Profile  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 543
Location: Casula
Vehicle: Vitara 90'

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:42 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Make sure you do your springs too cos all that drop is just sexy and not very useful. I've gotta do mine because once the spring is clear then it may as well be in the air.

 Profile  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:00 am
Posts: 3600
Location: Wollongong NSW
Vehicle: LWB Sierra & XL7

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 am 
Reply with quote Top  
3" Calmini springs ;)

I may upgrade them soon to some custom KMAC springs.

_________________
'92 Vitara & Camper trailer

 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to:  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gwagensteve and 33 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Untitled Document


Untitled Document


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group :: Style based on FI Subice by phpBBservice.nl :: All times are UTC + 10 hours