It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Good Tech

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Vehicle: 1994 suzuki sierra swb wt

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Is there certain model faclon that the alt is required from?
Cheers

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:53 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
EL/EF. It's a Mitsubishi product. Depending on model you'll be looking at 100A or 110A. Either is plenty, but I think fairmont ghias run the 110A variant.

Vehicle: 1991 Vit JLX G16A 3 door s/top

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:52 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I would like to add to all of the above regarding a 91 Vitara G16A carby engine since it differs a little from most of the others, my check list is as follows:

1. Ford EF/EL 110 amp Mitsubishi alternator $50-75
2. 4pk830 belt $25
3. Unbolt the bottom engine mount and drill bottom mount from 8mm to 10 mm
4. Heavy battery lead from alternator to battery, 10mm should do it, $15

From there it is simply a matter of bolting bracket back onto the engine, bolt the alternator in place, fit the new longer belt and new battery lead.
I popped the connectors out of the round Suzuki plug and plugged them into the alternator, used my trusty crowbar to massage the lower steel coolant pipe about 5-10mm away from the alternator and the job is done!
No need for different pulleys, grinding mounts either top or bottom, so for around $100 give or take, it is a very worthwhile upgrade to the 60 amp unit that had so much trouble running everything on my car, without running the battery flat.
It is currently charging at 14.75 volts from idle.

This is the beauty of forums like this one, I came here looking for a second hand alternator and ended up with a great result!

Edit: I just noticed the posts previous mentioning the need for the Falcon alt wiring to the fuse box, I will do this mod also, is it required for the Vitara?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:01 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Basically yes. If you have an under bonnet fuse box with, from memory, a 60a fuse between the alternator and battery. If you've wired through this, this fuse will blow under heavy charging load.

If you have run directly from the alt to the battery, that's not an ideal situation as a short in the alt or leads will result in carmeggeddon.

Stock sierras have a fusible link wire between the alt and battery. Can't recall what carby vitaras have.

Steve.

Vehicle: 1991 Vit JLX G16A 3 door s/top

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:59 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Good to know Steve, I will upgrade that too. Thanks again.

Vehicle: Xr6

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:25 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
As my current stock alternator sounded like a vaccuum cleaner (thanks aron) from being submerged in water, I decided to upgrade today. Funny enough the coily actually made it easier. Popped out the rad and old alt, put in new bolts on the bottom as the stock ones were too short, replaced a rad hose while I was at it and bolted everything back up. Had to put on a 4PK825 ($29) belt and all is good, new coolant and new alt. No drilling/shaving anything off.

Deering autronics at midland quoted $40 for new wires and fuses fully installed, so save me plugging something in wrong, I will get them to do it tomorrow. Suzistore said they don't stock wire and plugs, strange since they are a auto shop??

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:14 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Just need a quick clarification on the original loom/plug to the ef/el alt 2 pin plug point (95 wt sierra) ... which way do the two wires from the original plug orientate on the falc alt??

Or if i just connect them up which ever way, how can i test if its the right orientation??? Cheers

Bally

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Drover pickup turk

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:18 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Top pin (with alt installed) is the battery light.

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:33 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Cheers mate. This install was literally a bolt on case for me. No nasty surprises or unforseen tricks of any sort

Vehicle: Vitara 1.6

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:46 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I know this is an old thread but it also seems like the logical place to ask...

I hav never been able to find the alternator by the part number in this thread though it seems more findable if i swap the first two letters.

I see various bosch alternators stating the replace the mitsi models and that they are internal regulator models. Which se3ms to say there are several bosh models.

Is this correct? Do i just need to verify its internal regulator model?

I prefer to get a new one rather than a wrecking yard buy.

Thanks
Mathew

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Vehicle: 1990 swb auto vitara soft top

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:04 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I am currently part way through doing this conversion on the wife's SWB carby Vitara, unfortunately the wreckers are closed today as well as other places that I might have found the bolts and wire from the alternator to the battery.

I'm not sure about what the alternator part number is but I looked at the photo's and found one that looked the same, it was an aftermarket item I found on gumtree that had only been used for 2 days. The part number on mine is AMG 371 0206020311 and I'm told it was from a 6 cylinder Fairlane. I had to grind down the spacer that holds the captive nut down to fit properly too.

I also discovered Repco has the 2 wire plug brand new, its part number HXK-24. I payed $23.24 for it. Apparently the plugs have a habit of breaking so its cheap insurance to me.

*Edit* looks like I worked this photo posting thing out!

Last edited by drdave on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:33 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
That alternator looks like the correct one.

I haven't seen a broken plug myself, but the terminals on the alternator accept a standard spade connector so it's not hard to eliminate the plug altogether.

Steve.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:50 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
That alternator looks like the correct one.

I haven't seen a broken plug myself, but the terminals on the alternator accept a standard spade connector so it's not hard to eliminate the plug altogether.

Steve.

I agree that you could get away without the plug but I'd rather do it right and do it once, especially as its the wife's daily. Although it probably wont do any better through water or mud I'd rather do my best.

Now I'm electronically challenged, does any one know if I could use a 100 fusable link in the stock fuse panel and add larger wires or is the standard fuse box not up to the task?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Vitara's (G16A) all done, had to grind the upper mount a little to clear part of the alternator and the usual lower mount mods.

I ended up using the main wires from the falcon alternator to the fuse box and fuse box to battery terminal. Used the stock 100amp fuse in the stock fuse panel, cut the stock plug off and soldered the wires to the new plug with the white/red stripe wire to the top of the alternator. I used a 4PK 825 belt and didn't need to modify the lower radiator hose, it was just a little fiddly to get the belt on.

Word of advice have various sized heat shrink on hand, I didn't but would have preferred to. All up it was a simple conversion, while I had it apart I did a timing belt change but didn't worry about the water pump as it never goes over a 1/4 on temp. I also plastic welded the front timing cover up as it was pretty hacked up, simply clamped it to a piece of sheet metal and used zip ties as filler rod which seems to have worked well.

Vehicle: LN46 Hilux (hopeful future zoo

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:23 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I couldn't find an answer to this, but i'm sorry if I just missed it :(

What year swift should I be looking for to get the harmonic balancer? I realize it's a 4 bolt ribbed, but i'm trying to order one new because I can't find wrecked Swift where I can actually see whats on it before paying :(

Are any Barina's suitable for the part?

Thanks in advance guys!

Vehicle: LN46 Hilux (hopeful future zoo

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:23 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I know this is an old thread, and I may of just missed the answer (I also might of double posted this)

But does anyone know which model/year swift to grab the crank pulley from for an sj413? And are barina's suitable donors?

Vehicle: Suzuki Escudo Nomade 1992 LWB

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:19 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I have just finished putting this alternator in a suzuki G16a motor however is sending 15volts through at idle anyone else had this issue? Ideas on what to do to fix?
Also battery warning light is now showing despite being charged and receiveing charge.

Vehicle: 98 SQ420, 05 JB420, 21 A6G415

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:24 am 
Reply with quote Top  
The battery warning light will come on for both overcharge & undercharge, or it may simply have been miswired, which can also affect the regulation - recheck the wiring around that area and if it is correct, the problem will be the alternator's internal regulator.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:48 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Is it a new alt or 2nd hand? A lot of 2nd hand falc alts have dodgy regulators.
For some reason they dont like powersteering fluid.

Vehicle: 1973 lj50 fully restored

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:31 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I have a lj81 tray with a f10a motor fitted the alternator has just died, I am going to Cape York in July and need to run an Engel fridge and a few led camp lights can anyone suggest a suitable conversion as the present altenator is only 35 amp .

Thanks in anticipation.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:01 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Se416 / g16a upgrade.

Has anyone just upgraded the fuse and wiring in the OG ‘link’ box?
Can’t see what it wouldn’t handle it, also don’t wanna burn down my car.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Jump to: