It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: Suzuki Vitara 92 SWB

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:57 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hey guys,
I do apologise for a probably over asked question, but after quite a bit of research and searching through the forums, i couldn't find any straight answers and am just confusing myself!

I've bought a 92 SWB Vitara with a cracked Engine block. My plan was to just swap out the block with a new one/rehoned one, but i'm actually thinking it might be worth just converting to a G16B EFI engine instead.
I've found someone selling a fully rebuilt 1.6 G16B Engine with the Vitara wiring, computer etc (i need to find out what "etc" actually includes haha) for $1800 (good price??)

What else will i be needing to source in order to fit that to my Vit?
I've read something about fuel tank OR a external fuel pump. Is there anything else?

Thanks in advance! Appreciate your helps!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Do not bother with this swap. you'll just end up spending a lot of time and money building something suzuki already built.

$1800 is drug money. Rough but complete EFI Vitaras are now close to free. I would absolutely avoid a "fully rebuilt" vitara engine. They don't like being opened and generally don't last once they have been.

Buy a factory EFI vitara and swap your parts/modifications over. Much less hassle and likely to result in a better outcome.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:20 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks Gwagen,

I have no parts or Mods to swap over, the one i currently have is already stock. So i was planning on building this one up.
Spending time isn't an issue for me, as it's more of a project anyway, but money is.
I've costed the total build at about $3k, with an extra 30% just incase.
I'm struggling to find one for less/same as that all ready to go (in perth anyway)

I've also already got the car, which is in really good nick.

Vehicle: 1993 suzuki vitara

Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi McCellery.
Your pretty much right on the money for cost.
I have just spent the last 4months rebuilding a suzi
G16A.
For me it was priceless getting to know the guys at the local machine shop.
By the way I had the same problem with a crack between the core plugs under the intake manifold.
A second hand block set me back $350.
A bit steep but it was stripped.,clean and ready to machine.
Any other questions feel free to ask. I have definitely learnt a great deal from the rebuild.
Happy building!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:18 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks Mozza!

Ended up going with the conversion! Sourced an engine from a guy south of me with the harness, fuel tank and manifold.
It's been a mission, and has definitely taken longer that i'd have liked but it's going well so far! New engines in, just gotta hook up all the new hoses and wiring. and also swap the fuel tank over. Bit perplexed atm but we'll get there!

Jump to: