It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:18 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: 2011 GV JT Sport

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hey Folks

I’ve a 2011 GV sport that’s having clutch problems. I pressed the pedal the other day and it sank completely to the floor.
20 -30 pumps later it was back up but would fade fast. Fluid in the reservoir had dropped as well but not to the point of empty

So far I have flushed the clutch hydraulics of old filthy fluid, checked for leaks from the master cylinder and piping, replaced the o-ring on the bleeder valve of the slave cylinder external of the bell housing (because I could see small bubbles coming from it while it was locked off).

After all that I flushed and bled the lines and was finally getting clear fluid however the clutch quickly faded again on a test drive. I bled the line again only to have the fluid come out milky and it looked like it had heaps of tiny air bubbles in it.

So before I decide to bleed the lines again, has anyone here got an insight of what may be the cause?

Cheers & Happy New Year

Rob

Vehicle: 98 5 dr SQ420, 05 5dr JB420

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:06 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Mossman wrote:
I pressed the pedal the other day and it sank completely to the floor.
20 -30 pumps later it was back up but would fade fast. Fluid in the reservoir had dropped as well but not to the point of empty

My suspicion - based entirely on the paragraph above - is that you have a defective clutch master cylinder - a leak anywhere else large enough to cause the symptoms you describe will also cause fluid loss and the clutch will not "pump back up" - fluid is leaking internally between the chambers in the master cylinder (it has two sections separated by one of the rubber seals on the piston).

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:55 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks Fordem, that’s easier to change out than the slave.

I’ll give it an eyeball in the morning

Cheers

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
So, after checking the master cylinder out, turns out there is a hairline crack at the front of the reservoir...

Jump to: