It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:22 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: 1988 sierra baleno conversion

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:30 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi :) my daughter and I are very new to the maintenance and repairs side of things - please be kind - we really want to learn. Firstly, the sierra has a lift kit on it - where do you put the jack i.e. where are the jacking points? TIA :)

Vehicle: 1987 WT LWB Sierra

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:06 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Welcome to the forum!

I believe the "correct" position to jack from is under the spring perches (I assume it's a leaf sprung sierra?) if you're using the factory provided scissor jack.

I personally, when using a trolley jack with a concave lifting surface, jack from the diff pumpkin. This usually lifts the whole car off the ground if you keep jacking, otherwise just the wheel closest to the jack will lift (because the diffs are offset to one side).

Hope this helps!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Many thanks Technotron 101, with a scissor jack, that is what we ended up doing. However, I am thinking that we will just put the wheel back on and try and find someone to fix the fuel pump - its too hard :(

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:15 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi Jacky.

Technotron is correct - under the spring plate closest to the wheel. This isn't like a road car where the jack goes under the sill or chassis.

It's not a stupid question at all - I've read angry posts from blokes adamant their standard jack is now too small because they have a lift kit.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Not so good with 35" tyres though

Vehicle: 1987 WT LWB Sierra

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 am 
Reply with quote Top  
jackyg wrote:
Many thanks Technotron 101, with a scissor jack, that is what we ended up doing. However, I am thinking that we will just put the wheel back on and try and find someone to fix the fuel pump - its too hard :(

What's up with the fuel pump? Some details would help, and I'm sure some of us here could be of some assistance.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:28 am 
Reply with quote Top  
just_cruizin wrote:
Not so good with 35" tyres though

I have 100x50 RHS welded to the foot of mine and 50x50 SHS welded to the top. Lifts the car with 35’s no problem and still fits under the axle with a 15” rimmed tyre fully deflated.

Of course it no longer fits in the factory spot but that’s the least of your problems running 35’s.

Sounds like your car is running an external in line fuel pump roughly where the stock fuel filter was?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Technotron101 wrote:
jackyg wrote:

What's up with the fuel pump? Some details would help, and I'm sure some of us here could be of some assistance.

Well.... what is wrong with the fuel pump.... I have no idea. It is 17 year old daughter's first car - a 'must have' and 'I'll learn and do all the work'.....
When we test drove the car, it ran well - no issues. Get the car home - doesn't start in the mornings at all - discover 'Start you Bastard' which worked beautifully, but car was still missing around 60k's (not sure of revs). Then, it just conked out - RAC reckoned the fuel pump was broken but maybe a blockage somewhere in the filter, lines... the possibilities are endless...
Mr Rocky and Bumstein have been helpful so far.

Jump to: