It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: Lj50 Suzuki

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:40 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi all, just picked up my new baby lj50

She is a runner, but I would like the freshen up the motor.

I live in adelaide, am I going to have issues getting and conrod kit/bearings and seals???

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:39 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Yahoo!!!! Post pics!!!

You can certainly give it a fresher up however most (myself included) may advise against it.

Firstly, why is it you’d like to give it a freshen up?

Is it using oil, lost some compression, just plain sluggish or running crap?

If these are a problem you might find you can throw a lot of money at it and end up with a motor which is not much better or doesn’t last as long as you’d hope for a fresh motor. These motors are not designed as a highly serviceable/freshenable motor, so to do it properly will likely cost more than it’s worth.

But not all bad news!! You can find replacement motors that still have some life left in them for very little cost. Plenty of people pull out good motors for GTI or Baleno conversions. The last replacement 1.3 Sierra motor I bought cost me 100 clams and is still going strong!!!

If you really only want to throw a few parts at it to obviate some potential problems or give it all a birthday as you don’t know when it was all done and you want to give it some love, then consider this list and drive lots until you’ve considered your ideal cause of action.

Water pump and timing belt/tensioner (do these at the same time)
Carby clean, or if it’s knackered consider pro-rebuild (I advise against doing it yourself with a carby kit) or 4K carby conversion.
Radiator hoses, coolant manifold, check the radiator if it’s old I like to replace them.
Various seals like the manifold O-Ring. If your going to replace crank or cam seals please please please use genuine seals, not the ones that come with the kit.
All the filters, fuel, air, oil plus clean oil.
Get a manual and adjust the valve clearances and give it all some love.

Edit!! Also take the sump off and have a look. Sometimes the oil pickup needs a clean and often you’ll find old gunge or coagulated oil circulating in there.. if there is, seek reliable advice on how to give it all an internal clean.

Vehicle: 1987 WT LWB Sierra

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Wait but if it's an LJ50, it'd be two stroke right? I'm not familiar with the motors in those, but I'm pretty sure due to the nature of a two stroke, wouldn't have valves to do valve clearances (at least not as a traditional four-stroke would anyhow) and wouldn't have a sump nor oil pickup.

Please correct if I'm way off base, by all means, for all I know it could have had a 1.3 transplant :)

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:01 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Oh dear!! Please forgive me!! I was at the end of a few very long and brutal night shifts!! Geez, what shift work does to the brain eh!?

So please 100% disregard my advice, it really doesn’t apply here and in the case of 2 stroke LJ50 I really don’t have experience so can’t really offer much sorry.. thanks for the pickup technotron!! My bad :)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:13 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Fatlj50 wrote:
am I going to have issues getting and conrod kit/bearings and seals???
Oooohhh yesss!

Actually I think supply may have improved a bit in the 10 years since I tried.

But in reality, It is quite possible that a bit of a cleanup will work wonders. Take off the intake manifold, and .. very very carefully, scrape off the gasket remnants, and even more gently prise off the reed valve frames. From here you'll be able to get a glimpse of the general condition of the bottom end. If the reeds are all intact, clean everything and put it back together. Don't worry about gaskets, just use some gasket goo / silastic / or similar. This will give you a good idea of whether or not you need to get into major works.
Replacing rings is not hard, but once you get into bearings its a new world of hurt. Without a press you're at the mercy of the mechanical trades. (the entire bottom end is pressed together)

Jump to: