It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:12 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: 84 SJ410

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:40 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
My SJ40 currently has 2"lifted leaf's and upgraded shocks (with it when i bought it) but the ride is really harsh on and off road so i would like to change that. Im not looking for ridiculous flex or huge lift, just a bit more movement off road as the stiff set up has the car feeling like its about to tip on even a slight incline and a bit more comfort on road, not looking to put anything bigger than 30's on it and will more than like go a bit smaller. I have seen a few of the JA11 guys in japan running stock leaf springs with "dynamic shackles"

https://www.hm4x4.com/en/suzuki-samurai ... rticulated
https://www.hm4x4.com/en/suzuki-samurai ... ackle-pair

just wondering what peoples opinions are on these types and/or missing links for highway use? im guessing you would also need longer shocks and new shock mounts to get the most out of this kind of set-up but im wondering how it would handle on the road as i have read missing links can lead to a bit of steering looseness. Or is the general consensus that its best to just go for YJ conversion or SPOA?

any input would be awesome

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:30 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Some people love them, some people hate them. They aren't going to improve your ride.

I've driven a Sierra buggy with those (the first ones) and it felt so remarkably stable and predicable, even on side angles. Some people say they suddenly unload/open up on side hills but I didn't experience that and they owner said he hasn't felt that. He's had them on for 10+ years.

Still, I don't think there's any real point in having them on a street driven sierra. We can get all the travel we need with a conventional leaf setup without the potential complications these could introduce. They're also a very easy yellow sticker. It's certainly not a good value for money mod either, you could have all new suspension for what a pair of those cost!

Most aftermarket leaf setups are far too stiff. I'd suggest removing the bottom leaf from each pack and then trying the leaf after that if it's still too stiff. You might lose a bit of height but I wouldn't worry about that. You might find the shocks are too stiff. If you've got a safe place to do it you can remove the shocks and go for a drive. If it's still stiff as you know it's the springs, if it's all floaty you know it's the shocks.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:32 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
"Dynamic" (that's an new term for them) shackles do nothing to improve ride. They're actually likely to worsen ride as they're longer than stock when fully compressed, making the shackle angle steeper, which makes the ride harsher.

The japanese are only interested in bolt in parts and have a very different idea of what 4WDing is. i wouldn't hold up parts they use as the ideal of how to do anything even if some of their cars look cool.

You predominantly seem to debasing your ideas on overseas (US) ideas. SPOA and YJ springs are uncommon and/or undesirable here, either due to poor performance and/or difficultly finding parts. You don't need 5" + of lift to run 30" or smaller tyres (even if suspension lift created room for bigger tyres, which it doesn't) Follow Sideways advice and save yourself the heartache.

Vehicle: Carless

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:03 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
And read viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52270 like 5 times because alot of this holds true.

Vehicle: Vitara 1994

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:56 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
As sideways said start removing leafs. Follow his advice and you will have an improved ride on street, more flex off-road and generally a more capable vehicle.

If you re-do your suspension research RUF on this forum. There are many different ways to go about it so spend some time researching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicle: 84 SJ410

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:15 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
so i removed a single leaf and it is noticeably better, still a little stiff so i guess ill look into some new shocks but drive able now. looked into the RUF conversion, there is a few kits out there so that might be my next move

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:04 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I’m not aware of an effective RUF kit. There are some terrible “kits” made in the US that use “missing link” AKA “dynamic” shackles but the less said about them the better.

Jump to: