It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:33 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Street Suzukis

Vehicle: XL-7 (gone) + Kizashi

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:00 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Kizashi's haven't been mentioned in the "Street Suzuki" section yet, so I thought I'd start a thread. It's almost like Suzuki don't want to sell them- they're often missing from the Suzuki lineup in newspaper adverts and hidden in the dealer yards out of sight. :?

I've got a 2011 Touring model (FWD 6 spd manual) and it's a nicely made midsizer - however smaller than the current gen Mazda 6 and Accord Euro. That alone would lose it quite a few sales. It's reliable and has a nice balance between ride comfort and handling. The interior is also a step up from other Suzuki's I've seen.

With the CVT equipped models, there have been a few reports overseas of them failing :roll: . They should have used a traditional 6spd auto as the performance of the CVT apparently also sucks.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Suzuki GV 03/ 2010 DDIS NGV

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Too expensive, use's more fuel than it's rivals with similar size cars. And didn't come with enough variants. They should've bit the bullet and released a wagon straight away and also a v6 option.
They may have another one on their hands with the S-cross, base model only has 1.6 litre and the other has the 2 litre motor option and the only one that looks any good is the top spec one and its over $30,000.

Suzuki's are like Mogwai's, they multiply!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Only too expensive if you somehow pay full retail. There are 3 models in the range, I wouldn't look at the top two as the value isn't there. It would be different if you got a better engine with the higher spec models. Mine was brand new and under $25k drive away.....

I agree they're not competitive now and really need an interior "tech" upgrade.

Fuel economy (on my manual) is quite good. It matched my previous much smaller 2 litre hatch on the same route to my old job (9.2/100km) in suburban stop/ start traffic. Commuting from Adelaide's NE suburbs to Adelaide CDB I'm averaging 8.2l/100km. You need to weigh up the whole cost of ownership (servicing, insurance, rego etc) anyway. Fuel is only one component.

I haven't had a close look at the S-cross. They've gone for a lightweight body with less power, which I guess is fine until you load it up! I agree about the pricing.

Suzuki have also "realigned" their servicing schedules since I bought my Kizashi. Mine is 12mth/ 15000km with optional 6mth interval. The newer models have had "fixed price" servicings introduced, but they're now at compulsory 6mth intervals :roll: . I much prefer how mine is set up as it only cost me $330 for the 2yr/ 30000km service (which includes brake fluid, pollen filter etc.)

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 2002 Suzuki XL7

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:38 am 
Reply with quote Top  
They had the Kizashi in the pipework for years before they released it as a concept, peed me off that hyandi brought out a simalar looking car at or around the same time suzuki released the kizashi.

Also i think suzuki toned it down tooo much, still looks good but bit to toned down. They should step out the box and bring some concept looking cars on the market.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/kiza ... 2yq4s.html

Wagon Concept

and the orignial concept that it was ment to look like bar the lights and different grill then got toned down allot. The grill should of kept its larger style .

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Suzuki GV 03/ 2010 DDIS NGV

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:59 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Concepts look like concepts, they're all hesitant to bring out what they do as concepts as they're far to radical looking for the average Joe. It's usually to get everyones view on them, then they usually make them not as harsh.

Suzuki have admitted they fucked up with the Kizashi, it falls inbetween the gaps of not being good enough and being like so many far cheaper cars on the market.

Suzuki's are like Mogwai's, they multiply!

Vehicle: Grand Vitara

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Me and her indoors took one for a test drive. It felt cramped with lots of road noise and the feel of the CVT doing its thing was awful. The interior was just so so - run of the mill. We were offered to take it home for the weekend but didn't accept as by then we already knew we weren't going to buy one.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:53 am 
Reply with quote Top  
GVX2 wrote:
Me and her indoors took one for a test drive. It felt cramped with lots of road noise and the feel of the CVT doing its thing was awful. The interior was just so so - run of the mill. We were offered to take it home for the weekend but didn't accept as by then we already knew we weren't going to buy one.

What were you comparing it to? The noise was quite likely the CVT, they've got a reputation for rumbling noises while driving and loading the engine at low revs (people complain of it feeling like it will stall at lights).

The interior is way behind the pack now, but when they were first released it was widely praised eg. http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews ... view-12072
Quote:
As with all Kizashis, the steering wheel adjusts for rake and reach, has cruise control, keyless entry and start, dual zone climate control and trip computer. The interior is particularly well-executed and includes generously upholstered leather inserts on the doors and silver stitching unique to this trim level, with perforated panels on the squab and back.

I'm over 6ft and can fit behind the driver's seat easily (knees don't touch it) with the driver's seat in my normal driving position. Size wise, it's about the same as the first generation Mazda 6 - Suzuki sort of got left behind with the opposition "upsizing" over the years.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:59 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Chop wrote:

Suzuki have admitted they fucked up with the Kizashi, it falls inbetween the gaps of not being good enough and being like so many far cheaper cars on the market.

They have? :lol:

The big difference to cheaper vehicles is a Kizashi is actually built well, nice to drive and handles well. They're also mechanically relatively low tech- which can be a good thing with less to go wrong. If only they fitted a proper auto trans instead of the CVT..... :roll:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:29 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
murcod wrote:
GVX2 wrote:

What were you comparing it to? The noise was quite likely the CVT, they've got a reputation for rumbling noises while driving and loading the engine at low revs (people complain of it feeling like it will stall at lights).

We test drove quite a few different brand cars with values up to around the $35G mark.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:10 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
What did you end up buying? I'm guessing something with a normal auto and not fitted with a CVT? :)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:03 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Correct- no CVT. We bought an auto Suzi GV 2WD Urban Navigator for her.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 2002 Suzuki XL7

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:16 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
http://www.suzuki.com.au/suzuki-life/ne ... rbo-debuts

I live here!
I live here!

Vehicle: Which one?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:43 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Quote:
Suzuki has unveiled a high performance concept version of its stunning new Kizashi sedan, pulling back the covers on a high powered Concept Kizashi Turbo at the 2010 Australian International Motor Show.

:roll:

Vehicle: 07 Grand Vitara

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:55 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
GeckoXL7 wrote:
http://www.suzuki.com.au/suzuki-life/news/kizashi-turbo-debuts

I would get a turbo Kiz, when I was looking for a car a few years ago the only reason I didn't is because the standard is just another slow 4 pot.. This opens up a whole new market

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJ80V-II, SJ40, SJ40T, RS415

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:26 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Considering the fact that, apart from Kei Engines, Suzuki dont seem big on turbo donks, makes me think this will never happen.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:32 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
They had a turbo Kizashi here in Australia that journos got a ride in - it was an RRM kit (they're a USA company) , so nothing to do with Suzuki. They only turbo charge the manual trans versions, which means no AWD turbo kits. http://www.suzuki.com.au/suzuki-life/ne ... rbo-debuts http://www.caradvice.com.au/125400/suzu ... bo-review/ http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/in ... cts_id=680 I've read of at least one kit being imported and fitted to a Kizashi in Sydney.

The manual transmission Kizashi's get along very well, for what they are. The engine has torque where you're normally driving and lugs high gears with ease. It's certainly no Honda Vtec engine, but is very flexible where you normally drive.

The CVT models are a totally different kettle of fish (from what I've read, I've never driven one to compare.) If you're after an auto best to look elsewhere. ;)

Vehicle: 06 Jimny VVT

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:12 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Chop wrote:
Too expensive, use's more fuel than it's rivals with similar size cars. And didn't come with enough variants. They should've bit the bullet and released a wagon straight away and also a v6 option.
They may have another one on their hands with the S-cross, base model only has 1.6 litre and the other has the 2 litre motor option and the only one that looks any good is the top spec one and its over $30,000.

No S Cross come with a 2.0L motor. All variants are 1.6 M16 motor.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Yes, well spotted. A 1.6l with a whole 86kW @ 6000 RPM/ 156Nm @ 4400RPM.

Much like the Kizashi range, your extra money doesn't get you more grunt - only more weight to lug around. :)

Edit: Just checked and the S-Cross gains 105kg extra across the model range, the Kizashi is similar with an extra 155kg.

Jump to: