It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Trailers and Camping

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Coil Sierra

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:29 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I've recently heard when building a trailer that there can't be any vertical structural welds on the chassis/frame, is this correct or BS?

Vehicle: 91 Tin Top

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:33 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
BS.

Vertical welds on the sides of the drawbar do create a weak point though.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Coil Sierra

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:21 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
That may of been it, thanks

Vehicle: LWB Sierra & XL7

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:27 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Yep that's right. Should only make horizontal welds on the structual parts / chassis / frame of the trailer.

Vehicle: 91 Tin Top

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:28 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I would only be concerned with welding on the drawbar, between the box and the hitch.

If you do want to weld on the sides of the drawbar do it on an angle or use fish plates like everyone does on their vehicle chassis.

Fish plate example;

Vertical welds on the rest of the box are fine in my opinion, there is a structure to take the load and reduce risk of failure.
Once the side panels are welded to the RHS frame this is effectively one big I-Beam 450mm high.
For example, I recon Lost's spring mounts are a great idea.

There's less chance of these plates failing then the mounting brackets that came with my springs.
My spring mounts are only fixed to the bottom surface of the RHS frame, there is a chance that over time this can fatigue and 'could' tear the bottom of the RHS. Lost's design would not fail in that way and the vertical welds would not cause any problems because of the side panels as noted above.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:19 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Any weld across the draw bar should also be avoided, like the front of the box. There shoulder be a weld on the the front cross bar for the front of the box, should only be a weld on the under side along the drawbar. This is the highest stress point on the draw bar, attaching boxes onto the drawbar should also be done with care, you don't want to be drilling the top or bottom faces

Vehicle: <3 Edna <3

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:35 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
just_cruizin wrote:
Any weld across the draw bar should also be avoided, like the front of the box. There shoulder be a weld on the the front cross bar for the front of the box, should only be a weld on the under side along the drawbar. This is the highest stress point on the draw bar, attaching boxes onto the drawbar should also be done with care, you don't want to be drilling the top or bottom faces

Its to do with the structural integrity (as you know engineer). The strength in RHS (when its held at either end with force applied in the center) comes from trying to strech and compress the top and bottom of RHS. The sides only transfer the force into the top and bottom of the RHS. Look at an I beam, they have thick top and bottoms but thinner webs, you can cut most of the guts out of them and still keep 99% of the strength. Hence, why your not allowed to weld/break the top and bottom steel.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:18 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Second moment of area (moment of inertia)

Vehicle: Jimny sierra 2011

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:52 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
All my joints on the rhs frame have vertical and horizontal welds, as a matter of fact, the vertical ones appear the neatest. The gussets and rhs joining the drawbar also have vertical welds, is that a problem on a 1580 x 1010 frame?

Vehicle: 2024 2 door Jimny GLX

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:46 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Lets just start with BS
The welding on any member is only as good as the preparation and finish, the only section that is remotely attached to fact is that vertical welds tend to have more undercut (only talking vertical up here, vertical down is only for sealing, has very limited penetration etc.)
it you are talking about the attachment point, then fully sealed (weld all round) is always the best option), in so far as the members themselves, it is a matter of good welding not limiting the position of the welding.

All welding should be checked for undercut, this is the main surface defect that affects the strength, it is all about notch sensitivity, jot just that the member has been thinned but how the stresses transmit in the member, hence undercut is always bad.
Weld all round also helps with stress transmittal, and is a key method of reducing the corrosion senility.

Jump to: