It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:27 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Trailers and Camping

Vehicle: suzuki jimny 2009

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:56 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi,

I have organised a year off for myself to travel round australia. I have a custom made offroad teardrop camper and am debating getting an engine swap to a 1.6 or 1.8. THe Jimny is a 2009 automatic.
The trip up from Sydney to Brisbane went well with the camper towing nicely however there were some interesting steep spots on the new england highway. A bit more power would make sense.
The car only has 70,000 on the clock. I have been talking to a company on the Gold Coast called one Stop Suzuki shop and they have a 1.6 vitara engine with 80,000 and a liana engine 1.8 with 110,000 and can do the swap for me.
Reliability is my key requirement with any power upgrade.
So my questions are:
For a little bit of extra torque/power to get me up the hills will I see enough of a difference with the 1.6?
Do you see much risk in getting an engine swap done form a reliability perspective.
Is 110,000 too much on the clock to be looking at for the 1.8?
Does having an automatic gearbox mean I should restrict the amount of extra power the engine has (I have read a lot of posts and there seem to be concerns with the auto and the 1.8)?

The alternative I looked at was a super charger from bullet cars but IT is more money than I really want to spend.

You can check out the rig here:.
http://www.nomadpod.com

Any thoughts and advice gratefully received
I'll do a formal review of the teardrop/pod once I have everything squared away.
Cheers
MAtt

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny 2013

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:54 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I feel like a 1.8 would be really straining the auto transmission particularly when towing long distance

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:04 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Perhaps a performance workshop could add a toyota supercharger that operates on a a/c type of switching arrangement and an aftermarket ecu so you could have a nice increase on tap only when you need it. Prob still cost you around the 5k mark but at least you arnt loading up the auto 100% of the time

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 2000 Jimny

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:19 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
the vitara engine might be a G series & won't fit (or is there an M series vitara ??).

the engine swap isn't that complicated, high odds you could do it yourself if you have a mechanically minded friend to help you.

reliability won't be an issue, but from what i've read the auto trans is already at it's torque limit with the 1.3, you could potentially kill it with a bigger motor if you just put your foot down more to go up hills etc.

what tyres are you running ? if you've increased your tyre size at all, consider going back to stock. also smaller tyre diameter on the trailer reduces rolling resistance & will make towing easier also (but will make the bearings work harder as a trade off).

Vehicle: Jimny sierra 2011

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:35 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
You need one of these:- http://www.4-wheeling-in-western-austra ... i-4x4.html

Jump to: