It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:03 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Trailers and Camping

Vehicle: 98 SQ420, 05 JB420, 21 A6G415

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
jono165 wrote:
Also with a trailer it doesnt matter how much I break my car I can still tow it home.

This I suspect is the driving factor in the decision, the reason why flat towing is not a consideration, rather than the tow vehicle requirements.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:00 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
In victoria (I believe most of this applies nationwide) the tow vehicle is rated to tow whatever the vehicle manufacturer stipulates. In the case of my Touareg I can tow 3500kg braked or a maximum of 750kg unbraked (the is the legal limit for all vehicles for a non braked light trailer)

Trailers up to 750kg gvm require no brakes
Trailers up to 2000kg require some form of braking (hydraulic or mechanical override, or electric brakes)
Trailers over 2000kg require brakes with a brake away system that applies the brakes if disconnected from the tow vehicle, this is generally electric brakes only.

A weighbridge certificate is required when registering a new trailer to prove the unladen mass. Other than that for a 2000kg trailer vicroads just make sure it has some form of brakes and that lights etc all comply.

Flat towing in Victoria has its own rules as posted by 30ONA, it's usually assumed the flat towing is done by a big heavy vehicle like a truck or motor home. It would require a engineers certificate which is more expensive than me building my own trailer which is also handy for other things.

Fordem, I hope that answers what you were asking.

Vehicle: 98 SQ420, 05 JB420, 21 A6G415

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:10 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Yes - it does - thank you.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:15 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Same rules in Queensland. Transport department also run a tape over it to confirm the axle position and overalls dims

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:45 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Had a chance to revise my plans and below is where I'm at. The colours are just for my reference for each size of steel. I've still got a bit of work to do, add suspension mounts, drawbar etc.

I've got aluminium planks that are used for ute tray floors for the decking which are light and strong. The floor will weigh about 50kg. I'll add some bracing to the side rails and thinking about cladding these in alucabond as its light and wont rust and should be durable enough. I'll at about 500kg all up which I think is pretty good

Jump to: