It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Trailers and Camping

Vehicle: 87 Samurai

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:23 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thinking about making a light weight tear-drop trailer to tow behind the Samurai.
Pretty sure the max towing weight for a stock Samurai with no trailer brakes is 1000 lbs or so. So, I would make it less than 1000 lbs [ loaded with camping gear ], hopefully closer to 600 or 700 lbs. Yes, this would be marginally-more than a tent on wheels.....

Wondering, what IS towing like with a Samurai? I've not towed anything with mine yet. Gutless? Noticeable loss in power / hills? OK?
So no towing in 5th gear...….that leaves fairly high rpms when driving in 4th at 85 kmh. Hummmm.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:16 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Make sure the sierra suspension is in good condition, with good springs and shocks, and the steering is in good condition.

Too much weight in the rear of the sierra or soft shocks (under damped), may cause deep death rolls, where the car rolls back and forth and due to the suspension design feeds into itself, causing bigger and bigger rolls that happen faster and faster.
The car and trailer will snake all over the road, and you have to slow down gently.

I'm not sure what the death wobbles from incorrect caster/knuckle preload/not enough weight over the front tyres feel like etc but I would want to avoid that too.

Brakes on the trailer is desirable, trying stop quickly isn't possible with 400 kg of loaded on the back.

A trailer with a long draw bar, makes the trailer better to tow. It pushes the trailer phase further from the sierra meaning in the event of an emergency maneuver (a quick steering input to avoid something etc) the trailer is less likely to take control of the sierra.

Jump to: