auszookers.com
http://auszookers.com/forum/

Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator
http://auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14415
Page 1 of 2

Author:  vitara83 [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:13 am ]
Post subject:  Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

hi everyone, i was just wondering what was the biggest alternator you can fit on a 1992 1.6L vitara? As in amps, mounting etc.

Thanks

Author:  needmorelift [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

falcon alternator! search

Author:  Fatzook [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

needmorelift wrote:
falcon alternator! search


Easy 8)

You aren't really limited by amps.

Tell us what you are running that draws on your electrical system, and it may give some of the sparky members here a better idea of what size you should shoot for.

Peter

Author:  atari4x4 [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

needmorelift wrote:
falcon alternator! search



Grimbo.... is that you? 8O :lol: :lol:

Author:  steak_knife [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

atari4x4 wrote:
needmorelift wrote:
falcon alternator! search



Grimbo.... is that you? 8O :lol: :lol:


That's what I was thinking, bit rude...... :roll:

Author:  tombutt [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

i should upgrade mine sometime my head lights have a small dimming problem

Author:  atari4x4 [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

steknig wrote:
atari4x4 wrote:
needmorelift wrote:
falcon alternator! search



Grimbo.... is that you? 8O :lol: :lol:


That's what I was thinking, bit rude...... :roll:


It's a pretty common conversion on the Sierra's but I've never read/heard anyone doing it to a Vitara.

Author:  royce [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

atari4x4 wrote:
steknig wrote:
atari4x4 wrote:
needmorelift wrote:
falcon alternator! search



Grimbo.... is that you? 8O :lol: :lol:


That's what I was thinking, bit rude...... :roll:


It's a pretty common conversion on the Sierra's but I've never read/heard anyone doing it to a Vitara.


All the bits that make it less than bolt on on a sierra are already fitted to a vit, its easier to fit than it is to type bigger and alternator into teh search box :)

Author:  atari4x4 [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

royce wrote:
atari4x4 wrote:
steknig wrote:
atari4x4 wrote:
needmorelift wrote:
falcon alternator! search



Grimbo.... is that you? 8O :lol: :lol:


That's what I was thinking, bit rude...... :roll:


It's a pretty common conversion on the Sierra's but I've never read/heard anyone doing it to a Vitara.


All the bits that make it less than bolt on on a sierra are already fitted to a vit, its easier to fit than it is to type bigger and alternator into teh search box :)


ohhh that sounds promising.... what about the SV420's J20a?

Author:  royce [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

arent they like coilys?

should fit I would think, but who knows try it :)

Author:  Fatzook [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

royce wrote:
arent they like coilys?

:)


:lol: :lol:

Author:  atari4x4 [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

this sounds like another job for Captain TSOR to prototype on the test mule

Author:  tombutt [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

then he can make one for me and ill test the h20a version


mine doesnt like the sub and i only have one in at the moment people think im flashing them sometimes

Author:  Fatzook [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

tombutt wrote:
then he can make one for me and ill test the h20a version


mine doesnt like the sub and i only have one in at the moment people think im flashing them sometimes


You need a better battery. Or a capacitor. The alt will never keep up with the draw of a sub.

Author:  tombutt [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

yeah i should get a capcitor and dual batteries and really should upgrade the alt cabling that helps alot usally but its all work and u know im a lazy prick

Author:  needmorelift [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

atari4x4 wrote:
steknig wrote:
atari4x4 wrote:
needmorelift wrote:
falcon alternator! search



Grimbo.... is that you? 8O :lol: :lol:


That's what I was thinking, bit rude...... :roll:


It's a pretty common conversion on the Sierra's but I've never read/heard anyone doing it to a Vitara.

Timbo up here did the swap on his Vit!

:D :D

suprised more Vit owners havent done it

Author:  atari4x4 [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

needmorelift wrote:
atari4x4 wrote:
steknig wrote:
atari4x4 wrote:
needmorelift wrote:
falcon alternator! search



Grimbo.... is that you? 8O :lol: :lol:


That's what I was thinking, bit rude...... :roll:


It's a pretty common conversion on the Sierra's but I've never read/heard anyone doing it to a Vitara.

Timbo up here did the swap on his Vit!

:D :D

suprised more Vit owners havent done it


cool, but tell me how to search for something that hasn't been posted before? :wink:

maybe we need Timbo to do a write up?

Author:  royce [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

On a 1.6 vit its literally remove old alt, put new on in with a longer belt and change the plug to suit

Author:  needmorelift [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

atari4x4 wrote:
needmorelift wrote:
atari4x4 wrote:
steknig wrote:
atari4x4 wrote:
needmorelift wrote:
falcon alternator! search



Grimbo.... is that you? 8O :lol: :lol:


That's what I was thinking, bit rude...... :roll:


It's a pretty common conversion on the Sierra's but I've never read/heard anyone doing it to a Vitara.

Timbo up here did the swap on his Vit!

:D :D

suprised more Vit owners havent done it


cool, but tell me how to search for something that hasn't been posted before? :wink:

maybe we need Timbo to do a write up?

Yeah had a brain snap thought it was a common swap for sierras and vits :oops:

As royce said though pretty sure Timbo just swapped the units over and did some customising on the top bracket and bobs your uncle

Author:  want33s [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

atari4x4 wrote:

cool, but tell me how to search for something that hasn't been posted before? :wink:

Check my build thread... I had an EF Falcon 110A alt on my 1.3 and then swapped it to the G16B when I upgraded.

Author:  2stroker [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

2 x headlights
2 x tail lights
2 x brake lights
2 x indicators (at a time)
1 x reversing light
1 x windscreen wiper motor
1 x tiny starter motor
and a little bit for the coil

get a 2 stroke they don't need much...

(and may not have the power to spin a falcon alternator...)

Author:  steak_knife [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

2stroker wrote:
2 x headlights
2 x tail lights
2 x brake lights
2 x indicators (at a time)
1 x reversing light
1 x windscreen wiper motor
1 x tiny starter motor
and a little bit for the coil

get a 2 stroke they don't need much...

(and may not have the power to spin a falcon alternator...)


So a eng that run's on oil won't need to see in front of em, because thay can't see behind em?? :?
thay still need all of your list!! :wink:

Author:  royce [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

2stroker wrote:
2 x headlights
2 x tail lights
2 x brake lights
2 x indicators (at a time)
1 x reversing light
1 x windscreen wiper motor
1 x tiny starter motor
and a little bit for the coil

get a 2 stroke they don't need much...

(and may not have the power to spin a falcon alternator...)


You start your car, in reverse, with an indicator on, headlights on and foot on the brake with the wipers running?

Geez ive heard of funny things you need to do do start some old cars but that takes the cake :)

That must take some prior planning, do you have a pre flight checklist you go through?

Author:  Poita [ Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

Ok...
I used the search button and found this, so threadmine time :)
I thought this would be preferable to a new thread.

I am looking at doing this (92 SWB 1.6 Vit) and from what I can see, I need the alternator and a new belt and thats all.

What belt do I need?

Thanks!
Pete

Author:  CairnsZook [ Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

Here's a Falcon alternator on a G16B.

Image

I'm pretty sure I just used the original belt...

:)

Author:  fire60 [ Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

I have done the falcon alt swap on a 92 vit. You will need to grind some of the housing away on the top of the new alt to get enough adjustment. You will see this when you try to mount it up. Get the falcon plug with the alt so you can swap the wires over.

I took the charge wire strait to the battery and did away with genuine wire which dissapears into the loom. You will also need to drill out the bottom mount holes because the falcon bolt is bigger. It is an easy swap over and there is a good post on here somw where for it. I also put in a large fusable link in the lead to the battery, I don't know how nesesary this is, but i like having fuses in things especially when big currnet is involved.
The alternator you need is a mitsi brand ( they have a ford sticker on them) 110 amps I think the part no. is ad110. I have also come across a 100 amp model in a Falcon that looks to be identical.

I hope all this helps.

Author:  Poita [ Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

Thanks heaps! Did you use the factory belt?

Author:  fire60 [ Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

I am running a 4pk 825. I think the original is a 810? standard both belts are the same.

Author:  joel [ Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

dont gv have a 110amp alt?

Author:  stocker [ Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bigger Vitara 1.6 Alternator

Grab the Wiring Harness and Fuse Box out of the Falcooon too :) I mounted it up above the brake master and it supports a 100A fuse. i'll post a couple of pics up 2morro :)

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/