auszookers.com
http://auszookers.com/forum/

Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned
http://auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3082
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Hybrid [ Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

Ok this seems like a completely dumb noob question but where do you buy crush sleeves in varying sizes. I've thought they'd be useful in chassis mounts, shock mounts etc. in the past but I've never really had any idea where to get em so I've made work arounds.

Can someone put me out of my misery?

Author:  Damo [ Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

Hybrid wrote:
Ok this seems like a completely dumb noob question but where do you buy crush sleeves in varying sizes. I've thought they'd be useful in chassis mounts, shock mounts etc. in the past but I've never really had any idea where to get em so I've made work arounds.

Can someone put me out of my misery?


I didn't think you could get them as on off the shelf kinda item, but would be quite happy to be wrong!!!

Author:  Hybrid [ Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

Not so much off the shelf to length. I mean lengths of "sleeve" in different diameters and wall thickness. I know technically this is just pipe but your regular steel supply doesnt sell steel pipe small enough for shock eyes etc.

Author:  royce [ Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

when you get down into 8 and 10nb its pretty small

plumbing supplies will have 200mm bits

Author:  Damo [ Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

Hybrid wrote:
Not so much off the shelf to length. I mean lengths of "sleeve" in different diameters and wall thickness. I know technically this is just pipe but your regular steel supply doesnt sell steel pipe small enough for shock eyes etc.


I think even hollow bar is too big.

Author:  steve [ Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

I have been making my own.

I use the Sierra B Pillar support brackets. Suits most size bolts. I cut to the required length. All the ones i have done are for smaller bolts, so i cut a slit down the tube lengthways, then hammer/work the joins together slowly hammering on each side to keep the tube round and not egg shape.

Author:  Hybrid [ Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

Lol I think I need that bit. Might buy a couple of donor zooks :lol: I thought of plumbing supplies but then thought they probably used copper. I'll actually have to go looking by the sounds of it. Thanks guys.

Author:  royce [ Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

no you can buy small PIPE used for water feeds in buildings over long straight runs

and all sorts of useful flanges and stuff too

Author:  TZAR [ Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

We always used just small 12 mm ID steel pipe so we could used 12mm HT bolts

Lots of small pipe will work and if it is the right outside diameter you can always run a drill down the centre to make it a little larger if you are using thick wall pipe


Also if you really need somethin exactly right then just get them made. Not that expensive. Find an engineering shop and ask if they could turn up some sleeves for you out of scrap. Most guys will do it for a 6 pack

Author:  mrw82 [ Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

HYDRAULIC PIPE you can get it in all sizes down to 1/4" and it has a heavy enough wall to work as crush tube.
Go to enzed with the bolt and ask if they have a bit of offcut that will suit. if they dont they usually sell by the amount you want.

Author:  hobzees4wdshop [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Crush Sleeves, dumb question....you were warned

x2 on enzed. thats where I have bought tube for my crush sleeves on front bar.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/