| auszookers.com http://auszookers.com/forum/ |
|
| EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? http://auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3123 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Chinny [ Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
I'm in the middle of putting a GTi motor conversion to my sierra and would like any tips of what to do for the fuel pump. I've seen this one http://pulsr.net/g13b/ But my fuel tank doesn't have the extra hole that this guy has used. Would i be ok with say an external bosch one? or would i need another low pressure pump and surge tank. Any suggestions or experiences please post Thanks |
|
| Author: | royce [ Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:02 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
easiest way is to get a coily tank and fit a vitara efi pump into it |
|
| Author: | Damo [ Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
I used my stock tank and cut a hole in the top to accept the fuel pump assy. out of an RX7. I had to shorten the 'leg' that the fuel pump is mounted on but that is pretty easy. I do have to put a baffle around the pump/pickup so that the fuel doesn't drain away when cornering, but other than that it works good. The only other thing I can suggest is to get yourself an external surge tank and feed that with a low pressure/high flow type fuel pump (these are generally used on carburetted engines). Then you can feed fuel from that surge tank to an EFI fuel pump. A mate of mine is using an external Bosch (VL Commodore) pump and they are known for being pretty NOISY. I was thinking that a custom surge tank with an internal EFI fuel pump would be a good solution. |
|
| Author: | zooker [ Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
Check out the diagram in this thread http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/ftopic954 ... rge+return I did the same setup except I had the return fuel line running back into the surge tank to keep it topped up. High pressure pump I used a Bosch 0580464070 from a Vl commodore. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BOSCH-070-FUEL-P ... dZViewItem For the lift pump any low pressure high volume pump should work. I picked up one from the local Autopro for $40, the brand is Racer. Heres the same one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Racer-Electric-F ... dZViewItem Heres my setup
|
|
| Author: | Hybrid [ Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
Do you find that setup noisy zooker? I'm running just a vl pump near my rear shock mount. Its not the quietest and its under the car. I originally had a lift pump before it and that clicked constantly so loud that I pulled it out. Also with the return line running back to the surge tank do you run another return from the surge tank to the fuel tank? I would have thought you'd over fill the surge tank with the engine return running into it. |
|
| Author: | Damo [ Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
zooker wrote: Check out the diagram in this thread
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/ftopic954 ... rge+return I did the same setup except I had the return fuel line running back into the surge tank to keep it topped up. High pressure pump I used a Bosch 0580464070 from a Vl commodore. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BOSCH-070-FUEL-P ... dZViewItem For the lift pump any low pressure high volume pump should work. I picked up one from the local Autopro for $40, the brand is Racer. Heres the same one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Racer-Electric-F ... dZViewItem Heres my setup ![]() Love the little bit of extra room there that the LWB gives you. That's nice! |
|
| Author: | zooker [ Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
Hybrid wrote: Do you find that setup noisy zooker? I'm running just a vl pump near my rear shock mount. Its not the quietest and its under the car. I originally had a lift pump before it and that clicked constantly so loud that I pulled it out. Also with the return line running back to the surge tank do you run another return from the surge tank to the fuel tank? I would have thought you'd over fill the surge tank with the engine return running into it. If you stand right next to the back corner you can hear a bit of a buzz, not what I would call loud though. Anymore than 2m from the car you cant hear them over the exhaust/engine noise. Just using the single VL pump would be noisier because it has to lift as well as pump the petrol. I did try a facet style lift pump for a while (till it died) and i found it clicked quite loud, but the lift pump Im using now is a different design and isn't as loud. Yes there is an overflow from the surge tank back to the fuel tank. Damo wrote: Love the little bit of extra room there that the LWB gives you. That's nice!
Yes the LWB was handy for the extra space, otherwise the whole setup would have to be under the car leaving it quite exposed. |
|
| Author: | joeblow [ Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
if anyone wants to put this in tech feel free. this is the external setup i use on most of my conversions. yes in-tank pumps are good, but when they fail they can be a pain in the arse to access, with this they can be easily changed, and you'll get a bosch pump anywere. oh, and i have an in-tank pump, only becuase i'm a tray top and i can get to it easy.
|
|
| Author: | Damo [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:10 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
joeblow wrote: if anyone wants to put this in tech feel free. this is the external setup i use on most of my conversions. yes in-tank pumps are good, but when they fail they can be a pain in the arse to access, with this they can be easily changed, and you'll get a bosch pump anywere. oh, and i have an in-tank pump, only becuase i'm a tray top and i can get to it easy.
![]() Yeah true, mine is a real pain in the arse to get to. So much so that earlier when I was reading this thread I thought it would be good to cut an access hole in the back to get to it. |
|
| Author: | basketcase [ Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
zooker wrote: Check out the diagram in this thread
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/ftopic954 ... rge+return I did the same setup except I had the return fuel line running back into the surge tank to keep it topped up. High pressure pump I used a Bosch 0580464070 from a Vl commodore. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BOSCH-070-FUEL-P ... dZViewItem For the lift pump any low pressure high volume pump should work. I picked up one from the local Autopro for $40, the brand is Racer. Heres the same one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Racer-Electric-F ... dZViewItem Heres my setup ![]() What type of engine is this set up for?? |
|
| Author: | antt [ Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
zooker wrote: Check out the diagram in this thread
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/ftopic954 ... rge+return I did the same setup except I had the return fuel line running back into the surge tank to keep it topped up. High pressure pump I used a Bosch 0580464070 from a Vl commodore. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BOSCH-070-FUEL-P ... dZViewItem For the lift pump any low pressure high volume pump should work. I picked up one from the local Autopro for $40, the brand is Racer. Heres the same one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Racer-Electric-F ... dZViewItem Heres my setup ![]() that looks identical to my setup i had. initially i had the pump solid mounted inside the cabin, and it was noisey as hell, but i moved it underneath, and rubber mounted it, and it wasn't too bad at all. worked good, never had fuel drama's |
|
| Author: | zooker [ Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
basketcase wrote: What type of engine is this set up for??
Vitara 16v MPFI |
|
| Author: | Chinny [ Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
Awesome thanks everyone. I'm going to try a single VL pump mounted underneath. If it gets loud i'll make a box around it with sound deadening. |
|
| Author: | joeblow [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
in tank ONE PUMP....external TWO PUMPS. |
|
| Author: | Chinny [ Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:01 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
oh ok ta joeblow |
|
| Author: | Chinny [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:41 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
This may be a silly question but why do you need have 2 pumps if they are external? What is wrong with one external on the existing line just outside the tank using the old pickup? |
|
| Author: | royce [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:00 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
the tanks arent designed to keep fuel around the pickup all the time, especially when on an angle or low on fuel. in a carby car its no drama as the float bowl keeps a reserve of fuel to overcome the short times its sucking air but in an EFI car there is no buffer so you end up running lean and misfiring or leaning out and hurting things |
|
| Author: | Damo [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
Apparantly it's not good for the EFI pump either. |
|
| Author: | Chinny [ Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:26 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
I'm getting the impression 2 pumps is the most reliable setup then? its getting confusing. Can i use the existing carby solid fuel lines? |
|
| Author: | Damo [ Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:59 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
Chinny wrote: I'm getting the impression 2 pumps is the most reliable setup then? Yep. Chinny wrote: Can i use the existing carby solid fuel lines?
Yep. |
|
| Author: | Chinny [ Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
YES!! thanks Damo |
|
| Author: | something_else [ Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
im buying a gti twin cam engine today. does anybody know how much fuel itll save assuming i drive it exactly the same. and if the power increase is noticable? |
|
| Author: | zooker [ Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:26 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: EFI conversion what to do for fuel pump? |
You should notice the power difference, fuel economy should be a little better. When I went 1.6efi I noticed a huge improvement in fuel economy, now I get 10-11L/100km (runnin 32's), but the old 1.6 carby engine I had previous was shagged and using 15L/100km |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC + 9:30 hours |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group https://www.phpbb.com/ |
|