auszookers.com
http://auszookers.com/forum/

ARB air compressor
http://auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3246
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Rockhopper [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 am ]
Post subject:  ARB air compressor

Hey guys. For a few hours helping a mate build an exhaust for his tuff truck, he gave me an ARB air compressor which he no longer uses. It's the type that you can use to operate air lockers and use aux air to pump and tyres and stuff. Just wanted to know if anyone has got one mounted in a Sierra and where about's it is mounted. I've being looking for a mounting position and the best one I found so far I think is behind the rear seat.

Author:  steve [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

I put mine on the left front guard

Image

Image

Author:  royce [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

I had mine under the front seat with the lines running through the floor

Author:  Damo [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

I mounted mine on the top of the wheel arch behind the driver's seat. There is a pic in this thread.

When I had it installed in my LWB I had it mounted under the bonnet in front of the battery.

Author:  lump_a_charcoal [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if one was used to just inflate tyres, is the cut off switch necessary?

Author:  royce [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

if it has the tank to store air then yes it is otherwise it will pump it full
I think the portable ones have the hose fittings set up so that it just blows air out the chuck and cant build pressure up

Author:  lump_a_charcoal [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

ah ok, hope u are right
thanks ROcye

Author:  royce [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

pretty sure they have the fitting on the tank back to front of normal so it blows air there and the chuck is a non sealing type

if you are going to mount it in the car its worth setting up with the switch, a quick shot of air can be useful sometimes for blowing carbs, drying dissyz, running air horns and so on

Author:  lump_a_charcoal [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

yeah, i am going to eventually, but I need to get a smaller toolbox made so it fits in the engine bay...

The toolbox I have in there at the mo is too long.

Author:  royce [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

put it in the toolbox, or somewhere else, you could bolt it to the firewall behind the glovebox even

Author:  lump_a_charcoal [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

Yeah I was going to bolt it on the end of the toolbox, which is pretty much where behind the glove box is... I wanted it outside the toolbox just for better air flow. Eventually it will go to a tank, so I want to be able to turn it on 5 mins from where I want to air up - if it was in the toolbox it would cook!

Author:  royce [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

nah I mean on the inside side of the firewall, its cooler and less dustier there too

if you are going to run a tank you should wire it through the switch then for sure, then you can jsut plumb the tank inline later on, try and get a schrader valve (tyre valve) adapted in there somewhere as well, then you can prime it all at a servo and not overload the little compressor

Author:  lump_a_charcoal [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

oh - in the cab, i get you now... do they not get hot there though?

Author:  royce [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

nah mines even OK under the seat, theres enough veontialtion compared to under the bonnet and we dontrun em hardf cause we arent pumping 35's up to 40psi :)

Author:  Rockhopper [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

royce wrote:
I had mine under the front seat with the lines running through the floor


Will it fit under the seat?? I admit I only had a quick look, but looked like it would'nt fit under the seat. If thats the case, I might mount it under the drivers seat, so I can still slide the passenger one to the front to let passengers in the back.

Author:  royce [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

yeah I jut laid the tank over so it sat beside the motor and had the outlets out the side

I think my vit is the same I'll get a pic

Author:  zookernator [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

Image
Got mine here.. having no probs :)
I did have the prob of only having one of those blue hoses.. that prob is fixed now ;) hehe

Author:  lump_a_charcoal [ Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

Yeah that's where my toolbox is...

Blue hoses FTW!

Author:  Rockhopper [ Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

zookernator wrote:
Image
Got mine here.. having no probs :)
I did have the prob of only having one of those blue hoses.. that prob is fixed now ;) hehe


Did consider putting mine here too, although my compressor is like the one Steve posted up. I decided against putting it there though as I figure that dust and dirt and mud and also heat from the exhaust is going to affect compressor life.

Author:  Dee [ Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

Image
i since bought a tyre inflation kit.

No matter how much thread tape i use the fuckn thing won't stop leaking..

Author:  lump_a_charcoal [ Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

That is a great spot for it - Once I remove my old alarm, it is going there.

Author:  Rockhopper [ Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

Actually yes, that is a great spot for it. Never even crossed my mind. We have a new winner. :)

Author:  Zook_Fan [ Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

does it vibrate the firewall and consequently dash because of this or does it not vibrate to badly

Author:  Dee [ Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

not too bad, although i dont really know as i'm not sure how much it would vibrate if fixed to the wheel arch in the engine bay, so cant really compare.
Bit noisy there, but its only ever on for a second at a time due to the small tank. (unless inflating)

BUT it is a pain in the arse to install there. Trying to get the bolts through & done up on the 'top' side of the mounting plate sucked.

On the right side of the tank where the pressure switch is, its now rotated up so that the fitting for the inflation kit points straight out towards passenger seat (doesnt hang down).

now i have a leak in the air-locker :evil:

Author:  Rockhopper [ Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ARB air compressor

Zook_Fan wrote:
does it vibrate the firewall and consequently dash because of this or does it not vibrate to badly


If you mount it using some small rubber mounts with crush tube, it should alleviate any vibration through the firewall. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/