It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:57 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Just in the process of removing the transfer case at the moment and I'm trying (hoping) to do it without dropping the trans.

Just to be sure, where exactly does the transfer case end & gearbox begin? Is it the 12mm bolts which are in line with the back of the gearbox crossmember? Or is it the 14mm bolts in line with the front of the crossmember.

I was under the impression it was the 12mm ones (hence no need to remove the crossmember as its the gearbox which is bolted to that and not the transfer). If that is the case though, how does one get to the top bolt which appears to be underneath the gearstick tower/housing? I had read somewhere you had to remove the tower to get to it, but I cant actually see how you remove it (seems to be bolted from underneath/internally??)

Any other tips/tricks? Have already drained the case, removed the driveshafts, centre console and both gearsticks.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:04 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Farkin, looking at the manual it appears to be the 14mm ones? That seems a hell of a lot more difficult to do that with it in the car still...

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:06 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
its its the same as an older vitara i think the long one on the top still has to come out aswell as it holds all three layers.

Vehicle: 1999 GV. Locked and Lifted

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:50 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
have you tried removing the crossmember so you can lower the rear of the box a bit. Might be just enough to get the bolt undone.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 08 SV650

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:10 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
***the following assumes it's the same setup as an SE/SV Vit***

Crossmember out, you don't really have room otherwise. It's only 6 or 8 easily accessible bolts. Either strap the gearbox up to a bit of pipe or something through the holes in the tunnel, or jack under the gearbox.

Gearbox shifter housing has to come off - looking down the shifter hole the rear bolt is obvious, then there are two more either side further forward. (These are an absolute biatch to get to without a body lift. With the crossmember out I lowered the whole driveline a couple of inches until I could get my hands in.)

With the shifter housing off the centre bolt is obvious. It ties the transfer to the next two sections, so is about 3km long and takes ages to wind out. After that it's the 12mm rearward facing bolts that you need to undo. The two at the top corners are accessible from above, everything else from underneath. You'll need an extension to get at the bottom centre one unless you remove the mount.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:49 am 
Reply with quote Top  
since this is a relevant step in the process, but how do the gear sticks come out? its one thing that i have never needed to do lol. something like push down and turn??

cheers

Vehicle: 1985 Suzuki MightyBoy

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:42 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
shandy92 wrote:
since this is a relevant step in the process, but how do the gear sticks come out? its one thing that i have never needed to do lol. something like push down and turn??

cheers

lift the boot, and push down and turn the collar

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 08 SV650

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:38 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Keep track of the plastic bush thingy that sits around the end of the gearstick when you take it out! :lol:

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:34 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Jester wrote:
shandy92 wrote:

cheers

DarkHorse wrote:
Keep track of the plastic bush thingy that sits around the end of the gearstick when you take it out! :lol:

thanks guys, any chance of a photo so i can identify the parts when i do it? or is the collar pretty obvious?

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:13 am 
Reply with quote Top  
shandy92 wrote:
Jester wrote:
shandy92 wrote:

cheers

DarkHorse wrote:

thanks guys, any chance of a photo so i can identify the parts when i do it? or is the collar pretty obvious?

Yeah it's pretty obvious, remove the boot and you'l see a steel collar, push the collar down and then turn it and it'l pop up and you can pull the stick out. :)

Jump to: