auszookers.com
http://auszookers.com/forum/

lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara
http://auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46047
Page 1 of 1

Author:  toopy [ Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:34 pm ]
Post subject:  lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

Anyone put a 1520-LR Lockright into their GV?

I just received mine and expected there to be couplers in the box, however there are none?
Does anyone know if there should be any in there?

Author:  Built4thrashing [ Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

Pic?

Some just use your factory side gear.

Author:  toopy [ Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

OK I should reword that, I was expecting a coupler setup, instead yes it's one that has cutouts for the side gears. I was hoping someone knows if this is the correct set for the GV first gen?
I'm just not sure wheather they sent me the correct lock right as it looks like the box has been opened and resealed.
I'll get some pics up tomorrow

Author:  3cyl [ Thu May 01, 2014 5:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

I don't know about the GV but 1520 does fit LJ80 Stockman and 1 litre Sierra. They are hard to get these days and will be easy to sell on if it's wrong for your GV.

Author:  jdk81 [ Thu May 01, 2014 7:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

umm I would almost guess the 1520 LR will fit into the front of the GV with the silly 2 pin air actuated front disconnect
From memory, the front centre internals are smaller then 1.3L sierra, so 1.0L internals would make sense.

I think you will want the 1512 or 1532 (couplers) which are the vitara rear autolockers

Author:  toopy [ Thu May 01, 2014 8:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

It's for the rear, the powertrax application guide shows the 1520-lr as the rear locker.
I just don't want to pull my diff apart only for the locker not to fit, have to put it all back together only to be pulled apart again once the part issue is corrected.
God help if it happened to someone who doesn't have a heap of mech knowledge and paid someone to install it, only for it not to fit.
While I'm going to do it myself, i'll still be pi$$ed.

also there are a few of 1520-lr's on ebay at the moment, which is where I got mine from
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trks ... &_from=R40

Author:  toopy [ Thu May 01, 2014 2:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

Pics as promised

Image


Image

Author:  Built4thrashing [ Thu May 01, 2014 4:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

Whats the measurement across the locking plates.... external dimensions....

Author:  jdk81 [ Sun May 04, 2014 2:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

any luck?

Author:  toopy [ Mon May 05, 2014 12:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

Built4thrashing wrote:
Whats the measurement across the locking plates.... external dimensions....


External dimensions of the locking plate is 63mm in diameter

jdk81 wrote:
any luck?


This weekend was wheeling at Five Rocks/Stockyard Point so haven't gone for install yet, waiting on new gearbox mount and rear main to arrive.
Will be doing new:
Rear main Seal
Heavy Duty Clutch
Gearbox Mount
Rear lockright (hopefully if it fits)

all at once, as well as new tie rods.

Now on to other issues that arose over the weekend, the dreaded 4WD light. Pretty sure its the pump as there was some water crossings and it quit a short time after a deeper one.
Initially the pump wasn't engaging I could only hear the relay in the 4WD controller clicking over, after looking quickly at it and shaking some water out of the connector It started working and it sounds different than it use to, so ended up coming home 2WD only. Then after airing back up, after the pump had some time to dry out decided to give it another shot and bang 4WD, dam thing.
Going to diagnose the system and take it apart following fordems tut etc later however I dropped by the wreckers I know has a GV in the yard this morning. Found the air pump and scored it for $33
don't know if it works as yet but for the money makes for good spares. Also going to be moving it to higher ground

Author:  jdk81 [ Wed May 07, 2014 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

I did some measuring for you with the junk diffs i have.

The internal dimensions of a GV diff (4.3 ratio) is approx 76mm internal, and the side gears are 75mm

vit fronts/sierra fronts/Sierra rear side gears are all 70mm

I can not find a GV front diff centre with the air actuated collar, I probably binned them a while ago.

Author:  zoukshin [ Wed May 07, 2014 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

Make sure your 4wd pump pipes are clean too. Dust, water etc. can be killers.
If you look hard enough in google, someone posted a complete rebuild of the 4wd pump - his had the rubber membrane broken.

Also, 33$ ? SCORE. When I had pump issues, the mechanic quoted 600$ new, at least 350 from a wreckers. (I walked away)

Author:  toopy [ Thu May 08, 2014 7:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

jdk81 wrote:
I did some measuring for you with the junk diffs i have.

The internal dimensions of a GV diff (4.3 ratio) is approx 76mm internal, and the side gears are 75mm

vit fronts/sierra fronts/Sierra rear side gears are all 70mm

I can not find a GV front diff centre with the air actuated collar, I probably binned them a while ago.



Hmm now you have me a little concerned, why would my locking plates only be 63mm diameter

Author:  Built4thrashing [ Thu May 08, 2014 5:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

toopy wrote:
jdk81 wrote:
I did some measuring for you with the junk diffs i have.

The internal dimensions of a GV diff (4.3 ratio) is approx 76mm internal, and the side gears are 75mm

vit fronts/sierra fronts/Sierra rear side gears are all 70mm

I can not find a GV front diff centre with the air actuated collar, I probably binned them a while ago.



Hmm now you have me a little concerned, why would my locking plates only be 63mm diameter



All 1.3 Sierra / Vit / X90 / GV diffs all have the same size side gears except the Air operated GV front. These are smaller. The 1520 would have smaller locking plates so they can fit inside the air operated diff center.


The 1510 and 1512 lock rights will not fit in an air operated diff...... Ive tried.

Author:  3cyl [ Fri May 09, 2014 4:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

I think the length of the cross shafts would be the best indicator?

Author:  toopy [ Fri May 09, 2014 7:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

3cyl wrote:
I think the length of the cross shafts would be the best indicator?



length of the full shaft is 100mm

Author:  jdk81 [ Sat May 10, 2014 2:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

More measuring

Length of full shafts in GV rear and vit front/sierra front/rear = 100mm

Vit front long shafts dont have the oil grooves cutout, they have small flat sections machined out to allow oil in, these would be less prone to cracking.

GV rear pins are not held in by rolled pins, as the 4.3 ring gear has extra material on the inside to hold the pins in place.

GV rear side gear is 75mm diam, and will not fit with correct spider gears in a vit/sierra centre.
It will not fit with an auto locker in it.

Sierra rear 26 spline on top, GV rear 26 spline bottom.
Image

EDIT: getting pic to work

Author:  Built4thrashing [ Sat May 10, 2014 7:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

But a sierra lockright (1510/1512) will fit in the rear of a Gv and Vit with out the need to swap the side gears.

Id never compared the rear GV side gears to a Vit or sierra with calipers...

Author:  jdk81 [ Sat May 10, 2014 11:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

It was more to see if the side gears from the gv could be used as 26 spline side gears in front diffs.
But whilst they drop in, they wont fit with a locker or spider gears etc.

Author:  toopy [ Sun May 11, 2014 8:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

Thanks for the pics and info, I guess I'll have to wait till my diffs come out.

Author:  Built4thrashing [ Sun May 11, 2014 8:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

jdk81 wrote:
It was more to see if the side gears from the gv could be used as 26 spline side gears in front diffs.
But whilst they drop in, they wont fit with a locker or spider gears etc.



That would be due to their height.....

Author:  jdk81 [ Sun May 11, 2014 1:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lockright 1520-LR Grand Vitara

Well due to the geometry an increase in diam, means an increase in height.
I was hoping they would be a bit shallower to allow them to sit at the same depth.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/