It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny 2009

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:33 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I have developed a small amount of extra play in the steering box or at least it seems to be the steering box. I had a wheel alignment done and the fellow said the king pins and all other joints seemed to be OK but there was excessive play in the box. He could be correct.

There is a worm shaft torque adjustment screw on top of the box. Does anyone know if adjusting this is the correct method to remove excess play. Has anyone done this successfully.

Are there any tips for doing this correctly without removing the box from the car or does it need to come out as per the workshop manual? If I have to take it out then I might just replace it.

Car has done 60,000 km.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I had the box adjusted by a power steering place. It need not need much and it made no difference but at least I know the box is fine. replacing the panhard rod bushes next as I suspect this might be the problem.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: SJ51 LWB, SJ70 SWB

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:30 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
60k isnt really much. Sounds like something else but you should be able to see and feel the play in the steering wheel while looking at the box/pitman arm movement. Most likely draglink rod ends and/or panhard like you've said

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:46 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
It is definitely the Panhard bushes. Took the front out today and they are shot. I got a set of replacement bushes from SuperPro thinking that my after market adjustable rod would use the same bushes as the originals but I was wrong. I put the original front rod back in temporarily while I source the right bushes. Unfortunately I don't have the original rear rod beacuse it was badly bent which is why I got the stronger ones.

The Panhard rods are ones I got from Outdoor Auto many years ago (the blue ones that can be adjusted on the vehicle). They are a European design because my front one is for a LHD vehicle (has the bend in it) so they were probably sourced from overseas. I am pretty sure ODA is no longer in business? Has anyone located replacement bushes for these.

Once I get them pressed out and measure them I will look at the Nolothane site where you can shop by size unless anyone can point me in the right direction.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:04 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I got a new set of custom bushes from PolyTuff in Qld. Really helpful and knowledgeable guy. They have arrived and I will fit them this weekend. I am sure will get the car back to normal.

Jump to: