It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:56 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Not Enough

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:21 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi All,

I’m about to start fitting out the back of my 89 SWB Sierra and would like to make sure I do it right the first time. If anyone is happy with their set up could you please post a pic. I’m hoping to take bits and pieces from everyone’s ideas to make it a good set up. I understand everyone has different requirements but just looking for ideas. My Sierra is used for remote beach access for fishing, random 4x4 trips & for shooting at the farm.

My current plan is a rifle case on top of the wheel arches, drawers underneath and some tie downs on top of the rifle case / drawer for an esky or small fridge.

Any tips or pics will be appreciated.

Vehicle: 1987 WT LWB Sierra

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:34 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ooooo. Yes!

Not at my computer right now, but will post up shortly. I haven't got mine finished as of yet, but I've been designing it for a few months, and building over the last few weeks (slowly).

I have a lwb sierra, so slightly different to your scenario, but even at the stage I'm at now with construction I can tell I'm gonna love using it.

Measure 500 times, cut once. Try to think of everything before you get anywhere near thinking you've got the designs done, then go back and double triple check everything again, because chances are you've either mismeasured, neglected to check up on, or completely ignored a certain aspect of the build. Just my 2c.

Good luck! Will post pics and a bit more detailed writeup soon!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ok, here it is. Bear in mind this is not yet a finished product, I'm still constructing it.

So, the spiel. Elevator pitch if you will :roll:

I wanted to design a system that would maximise the available space in the car, and give me flexibility. I set aside my main requirements for the build, as follows:

1. Permanent storage for my mechanical tools/fluids/rags/fan belts/rad hoses etc, that wouldn't interrupt my access to the space in the car (at the time, everything I had for the car was stacked in a cardboard box which I had to keep shuffling around if I wanted to put something in the back)
2. A flat floor, long enough for me (6ft 1/2") to sleep on comfortably, for camping trips, to negate the need for tents or trailers.
3. Maximum storage, lockable and out of sight, for my work equipment - some form of drawer/s for easy access to things that may be packed a long way in (LWB Sierra, so fair bit of length to reach from the tailgate)
4. Drawer/s dimensions suitable for the type of equipment I'm carrying, and strong enough, even when extended, to support the weight, without being too heavy in itself.
5. Be suitable for primarily transporting my gear, and secondly for camping ie. food and gear in drawer, then bed on top. Independent of each other.

So with that said and done, the next thing was to work out how I was to make that all come together. Hint: many hours of thinking :wink:

I decided to go with a single drawer, because the losses that come from having drawer wall, sliders/bearings, and divider, and more sliders/bearings and the other drawer wall, in between the two drawers, are too big to offset any gains that come from having two drawers. So keep that in mind.

So the design was to be a single drawer in the centre of the car, the absolute maximum width possible between wheelarches, and as high as possible to fit my gear in. Also, I had to be careful not to make the floor too high as not to make sleeping and otherwise accessing the area on the top of the floor too difficult. The storage for the tools/car stuff was to go in the pockets between drawer+frame and the side walls of the car. One side I have two fuel fillers, so that would be used for smaller and more malleable objects, while the other side was to be for large items, like toolboxes, oil bottles etc. The front half of the floor would be double thickness, and that board would fold over completely 180° to form a sort of headboard, which lines up with the position of the seats in their folded forward position. The back half of the floor would be liftable for access to the drawer below, in the event that the drawer can't be fully opened for whatever reason (for example, the tailgate table is up and in use). I just tried to think of everything.

Anyway, you get the idea. Enough talk, more pics Armsup

Here's a photoshop mockup I did to give me an idea of what it would look like:

So, moving on, here's where it's at, as of today:
View from the back:

Roughly what the drawer will look like when closed:

View from inside with drawer shut (bear in mind that the drawer has no floor or sides... What you're seeing is the cladding on the surrounding frame):

Glorious space! Storage storage storage!

Here's how I mounted it to the car. These tabs are angle iron, size dependent on where they were, and are welded to the frame, with bolts welded onto them as studs. This way I only need to put nylocks on from the bottom to secure the frame. There are four of these - two picked up the old seatbelt holes, and the two at the front I had to drill new holes. But my floor is full of holes anyway, so I'm not uber concerned at this point.

Here's that foldover headboard I was rambling about. Not mounted, but here's roughly what it'll look like when in the unfolded position:

It just touches the seats when they're fully folded forward and when closed the seats only just touch the box/frame/false floor when pushed all the way back. The driver's seat is one click forward from max from memory because it sits more reclined than the passenger for whatever reason.

When it's extended and I'm laying on it (6ft 1/2") here's where my feet come to:

So plenty of room.

Anyway, that's about all there is at the present, but I hope it's of some benefit to you, and indeed to anyone else looking to pursue a false floor/storage system.

All I can say is really heavily plan out what you want, exactly what you need it to achieve, and find the best possible way to make it do that. Measure 500 times cut once :wink:

And, seeing as I've written it all out, lemme just copy and paste this into my build thread real quick :lol:

http://www.auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54494

In all seriousness though, I hope it helps!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for the tips, really appreciated. I have built these for friends 4x4’s but have never built one with such limited space. I have now made up a rough sketch and have decided to go with a drawer between the wheel arches and another sewer the full width of the back on top of the arches to the height of the body.

I have only just ripped all of the back out last night so give me a week or two and I’ll post some pics up.

As I’m using it for when I go away, mainly fishing or shooting I have decided the bottom drawer will be for rods and lures, top drawer will hopefully be a rifle rack.

Although this will take up the whole back I will have good storage for my precious items (rods & lures). I will have to find somewhere for the spares & Tools.....

Thanks again for the extremely helpful post and keep an eye on this page for a week or two and I’ll put up some progress and completion pics

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:22 am 
Reply with quote Top  
After way to much over thinking & 10’s of sketches I have now decided to go with no box....

Pelican hard cases make a rifle case that fits tightly in the back above the wheel arches & my fold up BBQ, rod tubes and lure boxes will fit snug underneath.

I’m liking this idea better as it will be removable and the rear seat can now stay folded up and used when the boxes are removed with minimal effort.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:06 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Well there ya go.

You'll end up with more space, and as you said, removable.

Jump to: