It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: suzuki jimny

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:24 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hello folks, wondered if someone could advise the absolute cheapest and lightest recovery equipment in the universe for a Suzuki jimny. Just bought my mums for mucking around in, will take it up the Cape. Nothing too serious, its stock, and I'm not a avid 4wder( more of a hunter) but on the odd chance I bog it somewhere, what's the bare minimum I need? I don't want to bulk it down with heavy stuff, nor to be honest spend a lot of money. Someone mentioned get a high lift jack and learn how to rig it up to steel cable, thoughts?

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
A snatch strap and a couple of bow shackles are easy and light to pack but clearly relies on someone else being there to pull you out. This is the minimum to pack.

If you’re not traveling with a group of cars then the more handy stuff you can pack the merrier!!

Hand winches, maxtrax etc can all be useful. But it really does depend on your experience, the places you’re traveling and how much your prepared to try terrain wise.

Other than a simple setup I really have to recommend traveling with another vehicle, and someone experienced to learn how to recover a vehicle safely. Don’t underestimate how difficult recover can be and how much damage to person and property a bad recovery could cause!!

Vehicle: Vitara 1994

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:11 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I run a pretty light pack. Snatch, couple d shackles, small light weight twin piston compressor, quick deflator and spare pressure gauge, fold up shovel, tire valve removal tool and spare valves.

It’s all you really need if you are going with someone else. All up wouldn’t be much weight, no more than 5 kg. I have found max trax to work well, but I won’t keep as they do weight a bit and take up a lot of space. The only place for them would be the roof and I don’t want the weight on the roof, same reason I don’t run a high lift jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:37 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Most zooks can be dug out by hand or packed with rocks if they get stuck. Id say 2 x snatch straps and shackles, compressor, tyre gauge, tool kit and a hand winch would be all you need

Vehicle: A manly awesome man jimny

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:00 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Long handle pointy ended Shovel.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:49 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
MrRocky wrote:
Most zooks can be dug out by hand or packed with rocks if they get stuck. Id say 2 x snatch straps and shackles, compressor, tyre gauge, tool kit and a hand winch would be all you need

Thanks can you suggest any brands or specs for compressor and the winch minimum?

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hand winch in my opinion are much of a muchness.

Snatch strap, brands don’t mean much but rating does IMO. Mostly make sure your not using a very high strength rating for a a light vehicle. 8000kg is more than adequate for a Jimny, higher rated straps aren’t ideal.

On this note, it’s advisable not to use your Jimny to snatch out landcruisers and patrols. It weight difference is immense and will increase the chances of breaking something on your Jimny or breaking your nose on the steering wheel when the big car fails to move and your Jimny stops dead.

I like the ARB compressors. They’ve always worked well for me and I haven’t had any failures. Others have but my experiences have been good. My only real advice here is to avoid cheap compressors!!

Tyre gauges I use an ARB one that isn’t also a deflator. The deflator ones I’m not fond of but that’s personal choice.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:54 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I'll be travelling alone , cheers for the advice folks!

Vehicle: '92 Sierra, 1.6efi, SPOA, 31s.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:28 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I used to carry 4 carpet squares in the back for self-recovery on sand. Worked a treat. Otherwise as above, though add to it some basic tools (sockets, cable ties, vice grips, small spanner, screwdriver etc, and some fuses).

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:27 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Ive tried heaps of compressors but arb get my vote for reliability

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: zook

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:05 am 
Reply with quote Top  

I had one of these in the Jimny. It's only a glorified fence strainer but it saved us once when we bottomed out in a 35" rut. It was slow but effective and it needs a decent length of rope to reach a tie off point as the spool is very short.
Cheap, light, peace of mind.

Vehicle: LWB Sierra (assembly required)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:11 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Stay away from high lift jacks. Heavy, dangerous and not as much use for a zook.

I've got a Nobles creeper winch, about half the size/weight of a Tirfor hand winch but plenty for a Jimny (still hard work though).

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:49 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks fellas they are just the sort of units I was chasing. So what are the recovery points on a Jimny or do I need to have some added?

Vehicle: 91 Tin Top

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:29 am 
Reply with quote Top  
steve125 wrote:
Stay away from high lift jacks. Heavy, dangerous and not as much use for a zook.

I've got a Nobles creeper winch, about half the size/weight of a Tirfor hand winch but plenty for a Jimny (still hard work though).

Guessing you’ve got the smallest 1.2T model?

Have you had to use it in anger yet, any concerns using it when the cable is wet or covered in greasy clay/mud?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:53 am 
Reply with quote Top  
shep wrote:

needs to be repeated.

Vehicle: A manly awesome man jimny

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 am 
Reply with quote Top  
shakes wrote:
shep wrote:

needs to be repeated.

It's all you really need if you use your brain while driving solo.

Vehicle: LWB Sierra (assembly required)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
pete_79 wrote:
Guessing you’ve got the smallest 1.2T model?

Have you had to use it in anger yet, any concerns using it when the cable is wet or covered in greasy clay/mud?

Mines the 800kg mini winch. 800 is the lifting capacity, can drag 1,250, have a snatch block to double up if needed. Have had three wins and one loss. Have dragged a tree off a track (no chainsaw). Unbogged a lightly stuck Sierra, just needed to move it a few metres to solid ground. And unrolled another Sierra that had fallen over. So quite versatile. The fail was a bottomed out lwb Vitara that was also up against a tree root, it just didn't move, an electric winch probably would have failed too.

The jaws clamp the wire rope very well so, I assume, would be OK with a little mud.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:10 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Jaw style Tirfor type winches don’t care how wet/muddy the cable is.

Jump to: