It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: suzuki jimny

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:10 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Am I an idiot for considering this. I inherited a jimny recently, it is stock and will stay stock. I do some 4wding , mostly moderate tracks to get to hunting areas, nothing hardcore. Similar vintage 3 door GV going nearby and figured the ride is more comfortable being 6'4" 120kg guy. Do I get a thumbs up or an uppercut here? I'm looking at more room-tick ,low range option- tick, decent clearance -tick, ladder chassis- tick, what's the underbody on the GV's like, soft as poo? how well do they go used in anger? Thanks for any replies. This is fairly newb type of question, mods can feel free to banish me where they will.

Vehicle: 2006 2.7 prestige auto.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:43 am 
Reply with quote Top  
The older up to 05 model GV seems to be a more capable bus . With good aftermarket and affordable support. The new grand vitara 08/05 on is from what I have seen a little softer and parts are about 20 to 30 percent more expensive. I have an 06 v6 and it LOVES the petrol to the point I am thinking of going to a V8 petrol discovery to burn less fuel. I have not driven an older GV so I can’t comment on how they go but as I said they seem to be the better off-road choice in the GV’s. I am a big heavy guy and my GV is quite nice to knock the KM over even with lift and chunky rubber. As an outsider to the Jimney world there will probably be a heap more help available if you need it re the jimneys online. And solid after market support also . So form someone that has never really driven a jimney of older gv for more than an few mins each if it’s a NGV I’d probably stay with the jimney or if it’s an older one I’d wait for more advice.

Vehicle: Suzuki Grand Vitara

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I would stay with the Jimny if you want to offroad, but if you want comfort go for the GV better room for the larger person.

Vehicle: Vitara 1994

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:22 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Driven both and don’t think your crazy. It sounds like for your needs the GV might be the better choice. The ugly duckling GV with the 6 is a very nice car to drive and kills Jimny onroad. The Jimny is a very fun car, but sounds like you will be happier with the GV.

I own a Jimny and drove a V6 GV every Thursday for a couple years, if it’s worth anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:35 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I'm a fan of the early GV's. couple small mod's and they can annoy alot of cars.

Undercarriage is fine, Sill's are fairly protected as the chassis is slightly lower. - Worth making a bash plate for the transfer, and steering/sump if your pushing it hard.
Alloy front diff and CV's are about the only two things to let you down. Steel diff, manual hubs and auto locker in the front and a gentle right foot and for the most part life is good. $500-$1500 depending on your bargain hunting and mechanical skills.

225/75/16 fit at stock height. Add a small lift for some more clearance, and if your wanting to get further than that takes you.... Your in the wrong car (or need more wheel time.)

I can't comment on the Jimny, other than it seem's there is alot more aftermarket support for it. GV is limited at best on that front.

Vehicle: suzuki jimny

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:44 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for the replies folks. Sorry should have mentioned the years and when I said similar vintage just meant similar age to each other. The jimny is 2011 and the GV is 2010. Any major differences to the points above? Did GV's stay decent buys into these later models? Sorry for changing the goalposts, thanks again!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Ok, so a 2010 SWB GV is a very different kettle of fish.

It doesn’t have a ladder chassis, not all variants have low range, and most would say they don’t have decent clearance. No doubt they are more comfortable as a road car and offer better performance but they are much more compromised off road. The suspension design limits lift to ~40mm maximum and from my experience travel is reduced when lift is installed.

Steve.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:14 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I drove a 2.4ltr 2dr 2010 gv for 100,000kms with a dobinsons lift and 245/75r16 muddies. Found it very capable on the beach as well as the rocks, once you get the way traction control works i found it the equivelent of having a locker in most scenarios.
As far as a comparison to a jimny goes i found it better for mild/medium stuff and alot more comfortable being 6"4
Given the choice for mild/med wheeling and touring id still choose the gv provided it had a lift and tyres.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:24 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I can’t say I agree about the traction control operation. From the NGV’s I’ve driven/spotted over the years I’ve found it far too “loose” (requiring excessive wheelspeed to engage) and the combination of tall gearing, limited travel and lots of wheelspeed before TC operation makes for scrappy/ spooky progress when in technical terrain, especially for an inexperienced driver.

Compared to a good TC system like the late model Defender it’s not in the same league and feels about 20 years out of date.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
MrRocky wrote:
once you get the way traction control works i found it the equivelent of having a locker in most scenarios.

Can you pick one point of view and stick to it? :thefinger:

MrRocky wrote:
The landrover traction control is unbelievable, suzukis attempts thus far have been worse than having nothing at all

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:46 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Haha you do have to keep your foot planted flat to get it to work certainly takes some getting used to. After some years passing to reflect i retract my statement. Maybe im biased because i think jimnys are a garbage car

Jump to: