It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Suzuki Vitara JX '92

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:16 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi guys,
I'm looking to install a winch on my '92 JX Vitara SWB. After playing around in the mud over the weekend and having to get winched up a hill by a passing Jeep it's something I want to get installed so I don't end up stranded.
My Vit has a bullbar however it's not winch-compatable. I don't really want to drop $1-2K on a brand new bullbar and winch, are there any other mounting options?
Here's my little rig from the weekend. Oh how I would love a lift and muddies :lol:
Image[/url]

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:18 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Can you design and fabricate parts?
Are you willing to wait for a winch bar to come along second hand?

Also consider you'll want to upgrade your charging system and possibly the battery.

Oh, and 1-2K spent on the capability of your car (and a hand winch) might be a lot more rewarding than having a winch on the front.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:32 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
Can you design and fabricate parts?
Are you willing to wait for a winch bar to come along second hand?

Also consider you'll want to upgrade your charging system and possibly the battery.

Oh, and 1-2K spent on the capability of your car (and a hand winch) might be a lot more rewarding than having a winch on the front.

Not experienced/confident in fabricating something like a winch mount, and I don't really want to wait for the hens teeth that are used winch bars. Just wondering if there is a manufacturer that makes a bolt-in winch tray so I don't need to take out my perfectly fine bullbar, or if there is another simpler way of mounting it. I would have to get a fabricator to modify my bar (if possible) and install a tray to accommodate a winch.

That is a valid point, I would love to throw a lift and muddies on but for the moment I'm just looking at getting myself out of trouble if I get stuck in the middle of nowhere. That being said hand winches are cheap and might be the easiest option (and good motivation not to get bogged :mrgreen: )

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:36 am 
Reply with quote Top  
No, nobody makes a bolt in winch cradle, and fitting one would require you to cut up your bull bar around it. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of the style of bar you have. The lower loops are an anchor that’s going to be hurting your capability. Cutting them off will help a heap.

You’ve hit the nail on the head with the comment “motorvation not to get bogged” I like hand winches because nobody want to use one. So you drive with (appropriate) caution and don’t assume any problem can be fixed with the winch. Becuase it can’t, in fact, relatively few can, and the assumption made with an electric winch is the problem is always that you can’t drive forwards, which is where you want to go. That’s often not the case, especially if you’re by yourself just having a mooch around. You might more often want to go backwards to known ground rather than further forwards into uncertainty.

Whilst mud terrains might make a difference to where you can drive the real difference comes from lockers and gears. Lift rarely makes much difference and nowhere near as much as people like to think.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:12 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Good suggestion on chopping the lower bullbar off. As you can see in the pic it did cop a deep puddle and hinders clearance. Might be something I look into, cheers!

Jump to: