It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:49 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: 1997 suzuki vitara LWB V6

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:10 am 
Reply with quote Top  
:D I need some help in replacing my headlight ,complete ignorance , on my 1997 LWB v6 vitara .

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:00 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Ok, from memory so might not be 100% correct! & the car is old, so may have bits missing or changed from standard.

Remove the grill fixings in this order
- there are 3 longish self tappers along the bottom, just above the bumper, hard to see, down holes
- there are 2 (1 each side) 10mm headed self tappers (I have seen proper M6 bolts her as well - still have 10mm head) a the back top edge of the bumper, in front of the wheel, where the bumper, grill & mudguard all come together
- there are 2 plastic clips (1 each side) at the top, above the headlights - these are very fragile, so you are likely to break them (if not already broken) trying to get the grill out of them. There are plenty of cars driving about with these clips broken. As long as the other screws are in place, the grill shouldn't flap about with these being broken.

Next bit is trickier
There are 4 nuts per headlight, mostly in a square pattern, sort of in the corners. Access from the engine bay
These nuts are on M6 studs moulded into the back of the headlights - 10mm spanner & 1/4 ratchet with 10mm socket needed.
Originally there was a black plastic cover that enclosed the opening in the radiator support panel & protected the back of the headlights - these are a pain & most don't get refitted.
Start with the passengers side, as these is less stuff in the way.
When the 4 nuts are off, the light will come forward, out the front of the car - pulling it forwards a bit, gives easier access to the wiring, although the wiring can be removed with the headlight still bolted in place.
The wiring for the indicator / parker has a short harness that can be unpluged, or the bulb holders can be twisted & removed from the headlight housing.
The wiring for the headlight needs to be unpluged from the globe. There should be a 75mm approx diameter rubber boot over the back of the headlight assembly, peal that back using the tab at the top. The plug a tight fit on the pins of the globe - leave the globe in the headlight, or if you do remove it, don't touch the glass bulb bit with your fingers - will shorten the lifespan of the globe if you do.
*Note: the headlight doesn't need to be removed to change any of the globes.
Drivers side is the same deal, but the washer bottle needs to be removed + the front diff breather tube is there & sometimes an aftermarket alarm 'bonnet open' plunger.
As usual, replacement is reversal of disassembly.
I'd give yourself an hour & 20minutes to have it all apart & back together again - you will swear at the grill, unless the top clips are already broken.

Have fun, Rgs, Michael

Jump to: