It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Jimny 08 VVT

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:02 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hello everyone, recently I have purchased a 04 jimny that comes stock with an m13a, there is a few things that i'd like to do to it and I was wondering if anyone could help me.

at the moment I have a 2'' suspension lift and want to get a body lift and am wondering if I will be able to fit 31'' tyres once I have 4'' clearance, along with cutting guards and flares etc etc.
In the long run I also want to swap an m18 and am wondering the best way to source one at an affordable price, If anyone has some tips and advice for me on the issues that could pop up or present themselves that would be good to know from someone who has experimented in doing this.

Thankyou

Kieren

1st Post by the way.

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Only body lift, guard cutting or bumpstop spacing creates tyre clearance. Suspension lift doesn’t have anything to do with it, and is mostly counterproductive.

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:47 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Others will weigh in, I'm sure, but....
31" tyres are big on a Jimny, as in too big to be road legal.
IMO, 31" tyres are at least a step too far. Combinations of coils too light, tyres/wheels too heavy, control arms too flexy, caster too hard to re-introduce, gearing harder to get right = lots of things to attempt to sort.
I say attempt to sort, because most of it is near impossible to do, while keeping the car legal & half decent to drive.
We have an early one with stock G13BA, geared right, respectably suspended, 31"s & it is a tiresome thing to drive around town & really has it's moments at highway speed - bouncy, pitchey, wobbley, shakey, really just lots of eeeeeyy
Drive line strength, especially the rear diff, will be an issue, especially if you put an M18 in it.

I don't hate Jimny's, but they seem to be one of those cars, where the useful / nice performance envelope is not very far from stock.
235/75R15 (even they will need a bit of body trimming) on 6+" rims, with an off the shelf 30-40mm suspension lift, a rear diff lock - drive it & learn to love what it will do - especially if you are new to Suzuki's &/or 4WDriving. That sort of set up, driven well, should impress.
I fear that if you do all that you plan, you will come to realise that it is not the sort of car you were hoping to end up with.

Rgs, Michael

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:53 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Much truth there Michael.

Jump to: