It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:04 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:14 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ey I’m about to good look and might buy a Suzuki Sierra that has a swift gti g13b engine conversion done.
One question is will it need a engineers for the conversion for Vic.
The owner reckons it dosent. Any info or people that done the conversion in Vic how did you go. Thanks

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:29 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Owner is wrong. Engine was not an optional engine for the vehicle and has more than 10% more power than the original engine.

The “loophole” is that the capacity hasn’t increased and the engine # is still g13xxx so people just inform VicRoads of the engine # change, which is not telling the whole truth. Walk into a VicRoads and ask whether fitting an engine with a 50% power increase requires an engineering certificate.

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:59 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
So if I don’t say anything and just get the Rwc should it be fine as the engine number is the same at the start

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 am 
Reply with quote Top  
OK, here's the source documents. You can read this and determine yourself if you need a VASS. Bold is my interpretation.

From Vicroads website- you require a VASS certificate if "engine changes where the engine is not an option offered for that model by the vehicle manufacturer" - which a G13B wasn't.

And here are the facts from VSI 8. the source document. This is available on Vicroads website. The document for what is engineerable is VSB14, it's a federal document, and open to some interpretation, but that's not relevant to you - there's no question the G13B GTi is easily engineerable, the question is only if it needs to be, which is covered in VSI 8 below.

6. Engines
6.1 VSB 14 Modification Code LA
The following are modifications that may be performed without certification providing the modifications are carried out in accordance with the Sub-section 2 General Requirements of Section LA:
fitting a replacement new, used or reconditioned engine identical to that originally fitted (No it's not)
fitting a manufacturer’s optional engine together with any associated components (e.g. brakes, suspension, etc) as supplied by the manufacturer for that same model vehicle
fitting replacement original equipment engine and exhaust components (no, you're not)
fitting replacement original equipment, equivalent or better components that have no in influence on engine performance or emissions, (e.g. higher volume oil pump than original) (No, it's not that either - both performance and emissions are affected)
In all of the above cases, if the engine is modified such that the resulting power increase is greater than 20% it must be certified by a VASS Signatory under the relevant Code of Section LA.
Well there you go, VASS required. Even if ALL OF THE ABOVE CONDITIONS WERE MET (which none of them are) you still need a certificate., because the new motor is more than 20% more powerful

My bad I thought it used to be 10%, but there you go. In any case, even a G13BB at 59Kw requires a VASS. As I said, the owner is wrong.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:57 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Stevo87 wrote:
So if I don’t say anything and just get the Rwc should it be fine as the engine number is the same at the start

Engineering aside, if the car has been registered with the new engine number before you take ownership it will transfer across with ease.
If you get a friendly mechanic, again it will transfer to your name with ease.

BUT it becomes a very grey area with insurance, and you still run the risk of a cluey cop or vicroads rep giving you a defect over it.

Vehicle: Coily.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:55 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
shakes wrote:
BUT it becomes a very grey area with insurance, and you still run the risk of a cluey cop or vicroads rep giving you a defect over it.

Yep,Insurance Co.'s Assessors love seeing the wrong Motor in the car when you are making a claim,likewise with Vitara PS fitted or those conversions where the driver need a step ladder to enter the cabin.

Jump to: