It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:38 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: zook

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:47 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ok gurus ,,, pics are of a 5 speed f10a box with integral transfer ,,,, and a g13 box (sierra) question is has anybody tried to place the transfer from one of the f10a integral boxs Carry 4x4 behind a sierra box , yes the shift rails would be different ,, but looks to me the extension housing of the sierra box is of the same bolt pattern as the carry transfer .. result would only be slightly longer then sierra box ,,,, carry low 1.87-1 add that into stock 1.3 gearing and transfer = 57-1 crawl ,, little better then after market 4-1 (=54-1) Ideas ?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: SJ51 LWB, SJ70 SWB

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:17 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Woah. Interesting idea. Highrange might be a drama but the carrys didnt run large tyres so could be 1:1.

Lock the Carry case in 4wd and you've got a PTO.

Case length looks similar but will need a shorter jackshaft with 2 flanged uni's.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:23 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
That's neat as, I hadn't seen how 4x4 carrys had the transfer. Thanks for posting. For my driving I'd love twin transfers. Standard/carry low range for sand and general trail driving, 4.16s in a sierra transfer for most trail obstacles and of course compound low for the odd times I'd like a gear that low.

Because we have reduction in high range on a Sierra you'd have to multiply carry low by the high range number if you were going to use carry low with the Sierra transfer in high. For stock 1.3l that's 1.87x1.409 = 2.63 or for 1l/4.16 high that would be 1.87x1.58 = 2.95. With 2.95 you'd still have a realistic 50+km/h cruising speed in low, that'd be a pretty sweet setup with a gear for every situation.

Seeing as it's passengers side drop you might even get away with not welding up the front output side, would depend on exhaust clearance. If you could a figure out a way to have 2wd low in the carry box you could use that front output for a PTO.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:35 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
BlueSuzy wrote:
Woah. Interesting idea. Highrange might be a drama but the carrys didnt run large tyres so could be 1:1.

Lock the Carry case in 4wd and you've got a PTO.

Case length looks similar but will need a shorter jackshaft with 2 flanged uni's.
yep apparantly 1-1 ,, yes maybe even a god winch as the malaysians used to call them from the 'pto" ouput (they would create a winch using pto shaft to a modified diff centre attached to a spool for the cable) rainforest winch challenge stuff.

Vehicle: Vitara 1994

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:01 am 
Reply with quote Top  
sideways wrote:
That's neat as, I hadn't seen how 4x4 carrys had the transfer. Thanks for posting. For my driving I'd love twin transfers. Standard/carry low range for sand and general trail driving, 4.16s in a sierra transfer for most trail obstacles and of course compound low for the odd times I'd like a gear that low.

Because we have reduction in high range on a Sierra you'd have to multiply carry low by the high range number if you were going to use carry low with the Sierra transfer in high. For stock 1.3l that's 1.87x1.409 = 2.63 or for 1l/4.16 high that would be 1.87x1.58 = 2.95. With 2.95 you'd still have a realistic 50+km/h cruising speed in low, that'd be a pretty sweet setup with a gear for every situation.

Seeing as it's passengers side drop you might even get away with not welding up the front output side, would depend on exhaust clearance. If you could a figure out a way to have 2wd low in the carry box you could use that front output for a PTO.

So with 4.1’s you looking at:
1.58 high
2.95 mid
4.1 low
7.67 extra low

That is a sweet range of gears that would work with a few different tire sizes.

If you are thinking of doing the twin transfer instead of gears your looking at:
1.4 high
2.26 mid
2.63 low
4.24 extra low

Not really that great. You could compensate with diff gears slightly, but your still going to be limited in tire size and crawl speed.

The other issue I see is the stress on the transfer. Having the torque multiplied by 1.87 before it hits the input shaft of the transfer isn’t going to give it an easy life, even in a 4.1 case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:09 am 
Reply with quote Top  
vet 180 wrote:
sideways wrote:

1.58 high
2.95 mid
4.1 low
7.67 extra low

If you are thinking of doing the twin transfer instead of gears your looking at:
1.4 high
2.26 mid
2.63 low
4.24 extra low

Not really that great. You could compensate with diff gears slightly, but your still going to be limited in tire size and crawl speed.

The other issue I see is the stress on the transfer. Having the torque multiplied by 1.87 before it hits the input shaft of the transfer isn’t going to give it an easy life, even in a 4.1 case

Not sure on your Ratio Maths there ,,,, Its pretty simple stuff really
If i do it it will be a 1ltr transfer with 1.58 high ,, giving the little bit of gearing for tire size on the black top.
results for the setup in low
3.652 first
1.87 low-1 carry
2.51 low-2 sierra
3.9 diff
66.85-1 crawl ratio,,,,

A stock setup using aftermarket 4-1 transfer gears ,, gives the same ratio on the black top
stock with 4-1 setup in low
3.652 first
4 Low transfer
3.9 diffs
56.97-1 crawl ratio

Even using the 1.3 transfer in the duals gives a better crawl ratio at 60-1 then the 4-1s 56.97-1

overall 5th gear ratio can even be tweaked a little more if you be sure to grab a post 89 box as there are two listed ratios for 5th .795 and .865
all said and done it still remains a mystery if the cases will attach and the shift rails will mate,,,, seems the guys with knowledge are reluctant or have plain Missed the question i will try to post up some more pics of the cases and scribbled measurements lol

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I rarely get the appeal of dual transfers (I think sideways would be one of the very few people who would find them useful,) but the real key is what axle ratio and tyre size that carry setup is for. Most people need the high range reduction of transfer gears to offset big tyres, and the direct high range of the carry box isn’t countering that. 4.1 transfer gears are good for 31’s, and 7.67 is useless for anything really, so the advantage is really a 2.95 ratio, which is think is too low for sand, the one time duals show promise over just transfer gears.

Also, don’t underestimate how hard it would be to get an acceptable shift pattern and feel when converted to a Sierra location.

All up much easier to fit an auto and have more drivability with less work.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:21 am 
Reply with quote Top  
,, It is extremely difficult to carry on a thread in sequence on this forum when you have a days wait for a post to appear ,, My last post hasnt even appeared on the board yet , annoying .. and strange .

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:45 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:

All up much easier to fit an auto and have more drivability with less work.
some time ago I'd have been happy to argue that point but having driven the auto Vit now for a decade, I tend to agree.
The only area auto can leave you feeling it's inadequacies is on big downhill runs, but now-days we have much better brake compounds available, along with disc brakes.
The novelty that 4WDs are now actually fitted with quite serviceable brakes at the factory is a big bonus.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:11 am 
Reply with quote Top  
That depends on gearing. 1st low is too low for steep descents in my car- I descend in 2nd low.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:25 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Siesta wrote:
vet 180 wrote:
sideways wrote:

1.58 high
2.95 mid
4.1 low
7.67 extra low

1.4 high
2.26 mid
2.63 low
4.24 extra low

Not sure on your Ratio Maths there ,,,, Its pretty simple stuff really
If i do it it will be a 1ltr transfer with 1.58 high ,, giving the little bit of gearing for tire size on the black top.
results for the setup in low
3.652 first
1.87 low-1 carry
2.51 low-2 sierra
3.9 diff
66.85-1 crawl ratio,,,,

A stock setup using aftermarket 4-1 transfer gears ,, gives the same ratio on the black top
stock with 4-1 setup in low
3.652 first
4 Low transfer
3.9 diffs
56.97-1 crawl ratio

Even using the 1.3 transfer in the duals gives a better crawl ratio at 60-1 then the 4-1s 56.97-1

lol

Not sure why your post didn’t appear earlier. Strange. Anyway my maths was based on 4.1 gears and stock 1.3 transfer gears with the carry case. Did not discuss crawl ratio as there was no mention earlier of tire size or diff gears and there are many different combinations that could work. However there is no surprise to me that you came up with a better crawl speed on the carry and 1.3 transfer compared with a 4.1 transfer as 4.24 is a lower ratio than 4.1.

What tire size are you planing to run?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:03 am 
Reply with quote Top  
probly 225-75r 16 ,,, ,, will probly a be a simarler build type to a japanese style thing ,, it will be living on a car trailer towed behind our Bus-motor home ,, the boat rack is has a 2mtr clearance so height is restricted. as we all no so much stuff we do is a compromise between off and on road drivability,, ,, The story goes --we sold our house 5 yrs ago ,, and went for a drive ,and we never came back in a gu patrol tray top towing a van ,,, got bored with with the Van ,, brought a Bus and made the mistake thiniking i could live A-framing a terios behind it ,, i fish (sand work) and like propecting (steep stuff) and look at shit a say Hold my beer lol Steve (gwagon) knws me from outerlimits - as Dozoor , rockapes. did have an acc here few years ago but couldnt get back into it

Pic of the centre to center bolt spaceing mm for the transfer to transm -- yolk measurment, and lenght of case to yolk mating surface,,,,and the cable shifter for transmission (if the shift rods also could be retained)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:00 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Siesta wrote:
probly 225-75r 16 ,,, ,, will probly a be a simarler build type to a japanese style thing ,, it will be living on a car trailer towed behind our Bus-motor home ,, the boat rack is has a 2mtr clearance so height is restricted. as we all no so much stuff we do is a compromise between off and on road drivability,, ,, The story goes --we sold our house 5 yrs ago ,, and went for a drive ,and we never came back in a gu patrol tray top towing a van ,,, got bored with with the Van ,, brought a Bus and made the mistake thiniking i could live A-framing a terios behind it ,, i fish (sand work) and like propecting (steep stuff) and look at shit a say Hold my beer lol Steve (gwagon) knws me from outerlimits - as Dozoor , rockapes. did have an acc here few years ago but couldnt get back into it

Pic of the centre to center bolt spaceing mm for the transfer to transm -- yolk measurment, and lenght of case to yolk mating surface,,,,and the cable shifter for transmission (if the shift rods also could be retained)

Wouldn’t a 30x9.5 R15 offer much more choices, be cheaper, and perform better?

For your size the 1L transfer on its own should be adequate for most driving.

If you did want twin transfers for varying terrain (I would love as I drive a lot of sand and rock/ mountain which require different ratios) the 1.3 and carry with diff gears to correct on road would be enough for just about every situation for your tyre size. If it was myself though, 1L transfer and call it a day. The twin transfer starts to become appealing when you are talking 33+

The other factor with twin transfers that is very real is the load going into the second transfer when double low. You are multiplying the torque by 1.8 on the input shaft of the second transfer putting a lot more stress into it.

Jump to: