It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Sierra SJ 70

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:10 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi, I have just taken possession of a 1992 Sierra and it appears the vacuum set up is beyond me. This is my first petrol motor since a 308 in 1977. When cold it wont get a rev up so I flick the fan on to boost her revs till it warms a bit, the choke butterfly appears to work. If I pull the vacuum line off from the inlet manifold to the aircleaner box then this improves things as well. I have aquired with the car a Gregory's workshop manual that balks when it comes to the vacuum lines. I would dearly like to remove as much of this crap as possible as it is to be towed out bush for prospecting then made to go where a 4 wheel bike would so I cant afford the hastles.
I am wanting to run the timing light over it as well but cant work out which hoses to remove or block off while doing this. I guess I will have to get a vacuum pump to advance the timing while doing this unless someone has some ideas. I tried checking out previous posts but none of the pics will open up for me. (you may have guessed that I'm more into lifting heavy things than being computer savvy)
She got an oil and filter change with fuel and air cleaners too as well an emery rub under the dizzy cap in preparation. The plugs are clean and set and the leads appear to be quite new.
The exhaust is via extractors and the muffler and pipes dont appear to be too old. (can I bypass that catalytic convertor without drama?)
When it is warmed up it seems to run quite good except for some exhaust smoke, I have a compression tester in the mail but wondered if this could be vacuum related too, I seriously have had no experience with all them hoses. Having said that, from what I can see they all look in good condition and they all go somewhere.
I look forward to any help and suggestions on this matter and will toast your good health if they come to fruition.
cheers
Packhorse

Jump to: