It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:37 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: 2006 suzuki jimny

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:09 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Im thinking of getting a roof basket one of the ones that bolt to the original rail holes ones, just looking into it as i want to get an awning aswell just seeing if i need roof racks or if i can just bolt it to the roof basket instead

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:13 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi Daniel,
Most of the roof baskets I've seen, have tapered sides - bigger dimensions at the top & smaller at the bottom - this can make fitting an awning tricky.
A suggestion, is that if you have original roof rails, get some basic cross bars (not too fancy, curved aero things), then you have greater size choices of baskets, which will be easier to fit & will have an easier time of fitting up the 'L' shaped brackets that the awnings come with.
One of the combinations of things I had on my roof, was the above set up. I eventually scrapped that idea, as I felt it all sat up a bit high, but in the mean time, I drilled through the basket top rail (20 x 20mm box section) & had folded up a couple of large 'L' shaped plates - these bolted to the top rail, went under the basket floor mesh & then had another plate on the floor of the basket to sandwich the floor mesh with nuts & bolts through the lot.
This then gave me a vertical surface to mount an awning off.
Rgs, Michael

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for the help Michael, yeh i have the original rails i was thinking the easiest way to do what I want would be to get cross bars then bolt the awning and a basket to that.
Than i seen these other roof baskets that bolt into the original rail holes, they are about the same price as cross bars but with that style it doesnt look like i could bolt an awning onto it without modifying abit some how.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I live here!
I live here!

Vehicle: JB74

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:15 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
An awning would bolt up to that rack easy, just some flat plate with a couple of holes

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Joe wrote:
An awning would bolt up to that rack easy, just some flat plate with a couple of holes

Thats a good idea, i might do that, ide be getting more for my money just buying that bolt on roof basket and attach the awning that way, instead of buying the crossbars then a seperate basket to attatch to that, thanks

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:54 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Can anyone reccomend a good roof basket for the jimny? I found 2 different ones, theres x2 pictures attatched, ones 500$delivered of a site i found or there one for $350 delivered i found on ebay both look identical to me

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I live here!
I live here!

Vehicle: JB74

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:16 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
If they both look the same go the one for $350

Jump to: