It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:38 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Sukuki Sierra SJ70

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:00 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi
My brother's Jimny has just cracked the chassis near the steering box. It looks like the previous owner had it repaired before my brother got it as there are old welds. He was quoted $2800 to fix but the guy wasn't confident it would work as he thought the chassis was high tensile steel. The car is straight, runs well and has a 50 mm lift, other than that it's stock.

Questions to help us work out next steps.

1. Is this a common issue?
2. If yes, is that a standard price?
3. Has anyone welded theirs and how hard was it? We welded an old Hilux up years ago with Success but it was a paddock basher and easy to access with the tray romoved
4. Would we be best off getting a cheap Jimny (eg panel damaged or motor issues) and swap the good bits from his over to make one good car? Leaning towards this at the moment

I realise this is open ended but every bit helps

Thanks
Rohan

Vehicle: '92 Sierra, 1.6efi, SPOA, 31s.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:05 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
It's probably a write-off from an insurance point of view if that's an option... Take the good bits off, swap it onto another vehicle, then make the insurance claim and get some funds back??

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately he doesn't have comprehensive insurance as it's not worth much. He is now looking at getting another one and keeping this for parts or selling some stuff on.

Vehicle: '95 Vitara JXI LWB G16B

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:19 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Get a boilie to look at it.

bye

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:37 am 
Reply with quote Top  
1) it's not common
2) there wouldn't ever be a "standard price" - the cost of repair is a function of how bad the cracking is. Repairing it properly will be a big job though - its not as simple as welding over the cracks or even veeing them out and smashing some more weld in there - ideally, doubling plates will be fabricated to cover and reinforce the cracked area.
3) I've been welding Sierra chassis successfully for years with MIG and regular mild steel consumable. I think the "guy" doesn't want the job.
4) Yes, sourcing a complete damaged vehicle and swapping everything over is a good idea, but do consider the legal consequences - the car will likely need an engineers approval and may be a hassle to re-register.

I have never heard of cracking around the steering box on a Jimny. I think it's likely the car was subject to previous crash repair, and that's what caused the cracking. Panel shops don't know how to deal with anything that's not sheetmetal.

Vehicle: MY13 2.4 SWB GV (02 Paj Io)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
x2 gwagensteve, look for someone who is comfortable to do the job. There are mobile welders who are happy to weld and plate up chassis cracks and plate them - mobile boiler makers especially.

keep calling and talking - you'll get someone who'll likely go- "sure, no worries - seen worse on a GQ before" etc

I chased someone for a month to weld a mount back onto my old lada niva when I lived in Adelaide. Lots wouldnt touch it but the guy was happy to do it and welded and plated it no worries - never had an issue again.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks guys. Yes i am suspicious of previous damage as the original cause. Will try a few more people and see what happens

Jump to: