It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:34 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: zook

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
There quick , available for the new model
http://www.tibus-offroad.com/en/product ... ls/suzuki/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:56 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I believe there are a number of issues with the Tibus design, least of which is they're semifloating - which puts a LOT of torque through a very short stub axle which also supports the weight of the vehicle. There is much discussion about these in the landrover community.

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:01 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I think they were able to say they are available for the New Jimny so quickly, because there is so much of the new car that is heavily based on the previous 20 year old design.
The Tibus design has it's issues/compromises, but on a light car like a Jimny, the issues would be less apparent than on heavier cars like Land-Rover, G-Wagen or 'Cruiser.
Would be a mission to get engineering for legal use on Aust. roads, however, possible in theory.

Rgs, Michael

Vehicle: Vitara 1994

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:38 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
I believe there are a number of issues with the Tibus design, least of which is they're semifloating - which puts a LOT of torque through a very short stub axle which also supports the weight of the vehicle. There is much discussion about these in the landrover community.

In a heavy car that would cause a lot of problems on a small Jimny less so. The reduction box at the wheel would take stress off the rest of the driveline which is the week point on the Jimny, but I also image the weight of the portal box would put a lot more stress on the axle housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:43 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I have no idea of the finer points regarding how portal hubs are made, or if there are advantages from different manufacturers,
but a while back I sent Aron [Alien] a link to a crew over in India who were making portal hubs for Maruti's.

If the design of the new Jimney is close enough to the Maruti - maybe they would fit,

Will see if I can dig up the link again / if not, maybe Aron can help?

EDIT - Found it / they make cable operated diff locks too - no more dodgy air leakers!

http://www.lamdacomponents.com/off-road ... cessories/

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:15 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I don't understand what I'm looking at on that page at all. I don't know what the portals in their images are designed to fit, but it's not a Suzuki, (look at the spindle/mount pattern, and what's with the coarse square spline driving thought to box?
The cable diff locks appear to require cutting the diff cover off the housing and welding a new cover on. The alignment issues possible with this (along with the effects of housing flex) are problematic. I think I'll stick to "dodgy" air lockers.

The photo of the maruti on portals has very, very wide track width. Scrub radius and leverage on the knuckles/kingpins/housings would be enormous, especially if larger diameter tyres were part of the requirement.

Many years ago I spent some time looking into portals. I still have two VW portal boxes at home that could be used to fairly readily make a portal, but the width and leverage really require a housing to be constructed from scratch, large diameter rims with lots of positive offset, and a host of other modifications, like custom stub axles, revised gearing etc.

whilst there are advantages with portals, no doubt, I don't believe they are the be all and end all - I'm my opinion the whole car needs to be built around them. just bolting a set of portals onto a car doesn't provide it with transcendent capability.

Jump to: