It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Suzuki sierras

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:08 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Has anyone seen or have a pto transfer case for a suzuki sierra? i would like to have a pto winch on one but i have never seen it done.
Cheers Jack

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:35 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
The PTO was a drive though from the input shaft, so it was on the back of the transfer case. It was never offered in Australia. I have seen photos of early Japanese cars (typically SJ30's) with various PTO attachments. However, as the transfer case input gear was unique to the PTO version, using it with aftermarket transfer gears would be impossible. (well, without an impractical amount of work and cost) It appears they are really only used with the 1.0 litre case.

here's a photo and an exploded daigram (which doesn't clearly show the relationship between the PTO and the transfer case input gear):

Personally, I don't really get the appeal of a PTO winch on a Sierra. The only readily available PTO winch (Thomas) is enormous and very heavy. I don't know what the torque rating of the Sierra PTO is, but it would be fairly low - the shaft out the back of the transfer is pretty small diameter where it drives through the bearing, and on top of that, the PTO can't be used to winch the car back onto it's wheels or out of deep water because they're two places the engine won't be running. Even on steep enough hills a carby sierra engine won't run well at all to support winching.

I completely understand a PTO in a heavy, typically mechanical diesel "working" 4WD, but how much winchching do you envisage doing?

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:18 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Still not useful if the engine is not running, but you could use the PTO to drive a hydraulic pump?
Then something like a Red Winch Warrior?.
Don't know enough about this - might be able to be driven from a dedicated P/S pump?
Sounds like hypothetical, if the t/case is going to be rocking horse poo level hard to find anyway.
Rgs, Michael

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:14 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Yes you could, although by the time you deal with hydraulics on top of the PTO it makes even fitting an 8274-50 look straightforward.

I can’t see a reason to run a hydraulic pump off a pto myself- it wants engine rpm- might as well drive it from the crank pulley.

Vehicle: Suzuki sierras

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:19 am 
Reply with quote Top  
If you ran a P/S pump of the crankshaft would it hurt it to be spinning all the time when not winching and would you need a large reservoir?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:32 am 
Reply with quote Top  
No it doesn’t hurt. Same as your power steering pump.
No you don’t need a huge reservoir but you do need to manage heat, and that will sometimes best be dealt with by a large reservoir.

What’s the issue with an electric winch? Trying to avoid an electric winch is going to result in a more complex, heavier and more compromised outcome in my opinion, least of which is you’re stuffed if the engine can’t run.

Trying to avoid electrical issues is a bit of a pointless exercise when you have to rely on a spark ignition engine to keep the winch going.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:37 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
I can’t see a reason to run a hydraulic pump off a pto myself- it wants engine rpm- might as well drive it from the crank pulley.

Because belts will want to slip in a number of situations where you want to use a winch. The pump doesn't need to see engine RPM if you size everything appropriately. Still I absolutely agree, a PTO driven winch doesn't make sense on a Sierra, there's a big weight penalty and still a number of diadvantages. The big advantage to a PTO winch is the unlimited duty cycle but I don't think that really applies to Sierras, we're not expecting to have to have to winch hundreds of meters.

I recently had a farmer contact me chasing a solution for a Sierra he has set up for weed spraying. Ideally he wanted a PTO type setup but he was very happy with the idea of mounting a centrifugal pump to the spot where the AC compressor would go and fitting an electromagnetic clutch to it (he had all the bits to do it on hand). Of course, the PTO only works while you're in gear with the clutch out and the shaft speed varies depending what gear you're in so it would have been a poor solution to that problem. Personally, I'd fit a falcon alternator and run an electric pump.

Some of the Japanese power companies had fleets of LJs with large PTO driven winches mounted in the load area that they used for winching transformers and so on into place. I don't know if they had Sierras too, 303 might have some info on it?

Jump to: