It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: suzuki sj50

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:16 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I'm soon to be wiring up a winch on my sierra. Part of that will involve a battery upgrade. I've seen a few examples of the battery being mounted (usually an optima) under the passenger seat - this makes a lot of sense as far as weight distribution and wiring for the winch goes, so I'm interested to do it.

I'm aware people's opinions on optima's vary these days. It seems they definitely weren't what they used to be, but I'm not really sure if there's better options out there for specs/performance, price and the ability to mount it on it's side etc. I'm happy to run one - I've had one in my daily for ~6 years plus however long it was in there before I got the car and it's been great (admittedly not under much stress) and I sold a previous car that had one in it for a few years, so my experience has so far been good, but if anyone has any other options I'm all ears - something lighter and smaller would be ideal but I'm aware performance will suffer.

My main question though, for anyone who's mounted it under the seat is: Can it be done without moving the seat/changing seats and without a body lift?

The few examples I've seen are body lifted/ different seats. I had a quick go over with a tape measure and it looks very tight between fitting it under the seat and clearing the chassis/transfer mount. I think on it's side with the terminals facing forward is the best bet?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:54 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I'm still happy with optimas.

I don't think the battery will go under the passenger seat without a body lift. In fact, even with a body lift, there's really only one spot the battery can go due to the sweep of the chassis and the transfer mount. From memory that stops the battery being able to sit flat on the chassis rail, so the most you can recess the battery through the floor is about 3", which still leaves 4" above the floor.

I don't think the battery will go "across" the car (terminals forward) because of the transfer mount - I think it has to go along the car (terminals facing out to the side or up)

Could be wrong though.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:16 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for the info. On second look, terminals facing the side does make more sense and i think There might be juuust enough height without a body lift. Some minor modifications will need to be done to the seat adjustment lever and the wire that links the two rails so the battery can be pushed as far to the passenger side as possible (to get it away from the transfer mount), but I think it could work.

I might give it a go, what's the worst that could happen? I'll only have a giant hole in the floor... :|

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: SJ51 LWB, SJ70 SWB

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:34 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I love my optima but it's also old now. 2012-ish edition and its still winching in another swb Sierra of mine..

My LWB one is mounted under the passenger seat.

Chassis mounted
Floor cut, boxed and re-inforced as you're cutting through some.
Different transfer mount
Terminals facing passengers door
No bodylift
Baleno seats on Sierra rails. Passengers is lifted to match the drivers seat quirky setup but not needed
Allow some more body cutting for the terminals for less sparky action when disconnecting. (I had to make more later)

imgur isn't letting my put an image in, but here's a link to a pics https://imgur.com/a/siaEBKG

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:39 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I hadn't thought about chassis mounting. I planned to have the floor support the battery with a simple recessed box.

I'm sure your setup works great, but I think I'd prefer to have it all contained in the cab as it protects the battery, stops the terminals getting covered in the earths elements, and I can run the battery cables inside the cab and out through the firewall so they're protected too.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:55 am 
Reply with quote Top  
TBH I had issues with my battery box filling with mud inside the car, but that's most likely a Victorian problem.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:14 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Yea, we certainly have our fair share of mud to deal with here too, but it's not on that level. I've even still got the carpet in.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:21 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
If anyone is interested, it is possible Armsup copied from my build thread:

Okay, Before I start wiring, I obviously need to mount everything that needs wiring, so here's the battery situation.

I've decided to upgrade the battery, as well as relocate it. I've decided on an optima d34, mainly because I've had a good run with them in other cars, they have plenty of CCA for their size, (800cca) It's safe to mount them inside the cabin and they can be mounted in lots of orientations. they are heavy though at ~20kgs (that's roughly double the original size battery)

It's getting relocated to under the passenger seat. I've seen this done a few times and it's a bit of a no brainer imo - There's no sugar-coating the fact this car is getting a bit chubby, so the least i can do is put some of the weight in a better spot - doing this gets the weight down lower, smack bang between the wheelbase and also on the lighter side of the car, so it helps with theee old 'sierra lean'. In my case, I also want to have an isolator on the winch, so it makes wiring for that really short and easy too. it's also easier to run the wiring for the winch on the passenger side of the engine bay, as there is less stuff in the road.

To fit it under the seat it has to be recessed into the floor, so it can clear the seat. I was a bit worried this wouldn't be doable, as I don't want to raise/change the seats, and I also don't have body lift to help with clearance, but it all worked out in the end.

here's the battery just yeeted in there. all of the sudden it looks a bit bigger than it does just sitting on the bench. 8O

after a while on the tape measure, I was pretty certain I could make it work, so here's the making of the box. 1mm sheet, as usual.

I pressed in a recess to house a rubber bung. the bung is so I can relieve water/mud if I ever sink the car or whatever - it would make an awesome swimming pool without one.

Image Image

Image Image

here's the floor in flintstone mode. You an clearly see the transfer mount here.

The battery is about as far forward as practical. this means I only have to cut through one support rib under the floor, the rear one is still fully intact. there's also a body mount there that has to be cleared.

Here's the box jammed into the hole.

It's recessed ~70mm into the floor. There's heaps of room to the chassis, and looks like it could go lower, but the transfer mount sweeps upwards, so that's the limiting factor - there's ~10mm clearance from the mount.

happy with the position it got welded in.

Aint winning no Instagram awards there, but it won't go anywhere. I slobbered some seam sealer over it for good measure. (same process underneath)

The hold the battery, I simply used a small ratchet strap - cheap, easy, strong, low profile to clear the seat and super quick and easy to install/remove the battery. I welded some captive nuts underneath the floor and bolted the little strap holder thingy's in.

Here it is all mounted. I put a strip of rubber under the battery too - it's super solid.

A few little mods needed to be done to the seat so it could clear the battery.

Here's the stock seat:

So, the piece of wire that links both seat rails for the back/forward adjustment is in the road, as well as the lever itself, and that black cable.

That black cable with the loop in it is what automatically moves the seat forward if you recline it. ( to make it easier to get in the back or whatever) This never worked on my seat as the cable was out of adjustment, and I can't remember the last time I used it, so I just got rid of it. it doesn't effect anything, it just means two steps instead of one for access to the back - no biggie.

I still want the seat to adjust back and forth though, so I came up with this:

That's a shortened brake cable off of a bike. the metal strip goes above the seat rails and it basically just raises the middle section of the cable to clear the battery.

As for the lever, it simply got bent around further - they bend easily with a bit of pipe and some vice grips.

the seat now looks like this:

and here it is fitted. Heaps of room! Not sure what I was worried about. even sitting on the seat and compressing the cushion, there's plenty of room.

This is with the seat all the way back:

Sticks out a little, but it doesn't get in the road of anything, so it's fine. the seat still works normally and has full travel.

So that's basically done, I just have to throw some paint at it. it went well, and was actually less effort then I was expecting, I quite enjoyed doing it.

Vehicle: Suzuki Vitara

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:27 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for posting those pics Beery. You did a good job, and gave me some ideas.

Jump to: