It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:10 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: 93 Suzuki Sierra SJ50

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:44 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi everyone
So just wondering will a distributor from a 93 Sierra that has electronic ignition with vacuum advance work on a 1988 Sierra with a points style with no vacuum advance distributor ??
The spark from the plugs are very yellow visually
I replaced rotor button leads coil cap and plugs
But spark is still yellow
I see that the condenser can foul up up needs replacing from time to time
Whilst engine still cold I had cleaned and re gapped the points the car started idles fine and accelerates but if tried driven under load it struggles to have the balls to go then after 5-10 minutes of running it starts to idle poorly stumbles and eventually cuts out then won’t start at all
sometimes will start extremely rough and dies within seconds as if the fuel is not igniting
I put brand new points in but to no avail put back the old points started once again good idle and ability to rev but within minutes of warming back up it starts to cough splutter and stalls again... put new fuel filter carby vacuum leads fuel pump etc I initially thought carby but after 3 carbies no avail did the whole scenario with the distributor cleaning points then she went revved etc but once it got to operating temperature it would start to give up and not maintain idle till was cold I’m thinking it has to be ignition or spark issue as the only thing that made it run was cleaning he points but once it got hot that’s it it was back to square 1 so was thinking of using my distributor from my wrecked 93 and replacing the one in the 88 with no electronic ignition or vacuum advance with points
Can anyone please give me some ideas
Thanks so much everyone

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:30 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi Mate,

Sounds like someone has fitted a points distributor where it is normally electronic? Bin it!

Also check that the coil is the right one, maybe raid all components off the spare motor and start again?

Hope this helps

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
:wink: thanks will try that... when my dad got the car it ran like shit was looking to replace the dizzy but its like the one off a 1litre with no vacuum advance and has the old school points setup and cant find any around to buy only the one with electronic ignition etc is available …. so they are a direct swap?? if that's the case I will raid the 93 and try that thanks again for your input
Boggomobile wrote:
Hi Mate,

Sounds like someone has fitted a points distributor where it is normally electronic? Bin it!

Also check that the coil is the right one, maybe raid all components off the spare motor and start again?

Hope this helps

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJ50V, SJ70

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:26 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Yes, they are a direct swap.

All 1.3 Sierras from 1984 on should have the electronic distributor. These were frequently retrofittted to 1.0lt SJ410s and even 800c LJ80.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:11 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
:D thank so much I was wondering about that … saves me from chasing my tail much appreciated
303zuke wrote:
Yes, they are a direct swap.

All 1.3 Sierras from 1984 on should have the electronic distributor. These were frequently retrofittted to 1.0lt SJ410s and even 800c LJ80.

Jump to: