It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Good Tech

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 03 Jim M13A no-vvt, Vinyl Spec

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:57 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gday,

Thought I'd put a quick write-up on how I chucked my Rhino Rack and basket/awning combo up on my Jimny, just in case the instructions werent obvious enough for anyone.

This is a kit that is designed for Jim's WITHOUT the factory front-to-back rails. Personally I was happier with this sort of setup, due to the reduction of overall height as well as less wind noise.

Anyway, on with it.

Once you get the kit, youll want to get it all out and assemble it off-car. its pretty damn light so its easy to do. If you want to screw the cross-bars to the "feet" now would be a good time, use the black self tapper screws in the kit. I also found the next step a LOT easier if this has been done square. so make sure you measure from each end of the track to ensure that it all lines up nicely. Placement of the feet does NOT matter at this stage, as you will pull it apart again later. just make sure its square.

Note, there are plastic spacers in the kit labelled right/left with an arrow. The text is facing up, and arrow points forward and they are placed under the feet.

Lift this up on the roof,

Now its on the roof, line it up where you want the final product to be roughly, and stick some masking tape under each hole.

For me, I found the best looking spot was 170mm from the back edge of the roof (back door open) as below.

As you line everything up, you want to make sure that the tracks will lie as flat as possible, it wont be able to along the car due to the curve, but left-to-right is important.

Now that its sitting there where you want it to go, mark the tape with a ball-point or whatever. be careful not to move it around.

Take the whole lot back off the roof, and you can also take the cross-bars OFF THE TRACKS. Then you can put the little plastic end-bits in for later.

Okay, so now you should have some nice hole marks lined up, with the roof rack in pieces on the floor. ITS DRILLING TIME!!! :rambo:

I found the best way to do this was to use a 2/3mm bit, then move up to the required 5mm. I didnt require a centrepunch. Your call... But one thing I will say is, have a vacuum cleaner on hand to get the swarf out as you go.

Also, the Jimny only has one layer of roof skin here, so either be REALLY CAREFUL! or use a bit of masking tape on your drill bit as a stopper.... otherwise youll go straight through the inner-roof. Yes, I had this happen. but luckily I was only on the 2mm bit, so you cant see it.

Again, get that swarf out with a vac.

and once you are done, clean the holes up a bit and give them a paint with a few coats of cold-gal. there are about 12 holes.

Okay, now the fun part.

Youll need to get everything ready before you go ahead. so make sure you have

*Rivets (in the kit)
*Concertina rivet gun (VITAL!!! dont use a hand-gun)
*Selleys Mastic (also important, dont just use any old silicone)
*RAGS for mess with mastic

Got a pic of the mastic I used, as well as what a concertina gun is for the un-educated.

Now you want to get some mastic on those holes, dont be stingy, theres only 1 layer of steel keeping the rain out remember? it cleans off with kerosine or turps on a rag if you get a little silly with it. Then line the tracks up and get those rivets in there! Im not going to insult anyones intelligence here, but you only get one shot. so do it right.

should look like this afterwards. You can see the brass mounting nuts for the cross-bar feet also.

Okay, well thats the hard part done.... the rest is pretty obvious now. get the cross-bars back on there and mount your basket whichever way you like. heres some pics of how mine is up now. If you want some extreme close ups of my bracketry, let me know... but its pretty simple.

CHEERS!!!!
:peaceout:

Last edited by Scales on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:49 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Explain why you have to use mastic? Can't you just use any neutral cure automotive silicon? Also, why can't you use a normal rivet gun?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:24 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hey, I'm just telling people the way I found the best way of doing the job. If you want to go use silicone and a normal gun, go nuts, and best of luck truly. this is just worked best for me, and i thought id share it. Up to you if you want to take the advice.

The mastic is a much better suited sealant for the job as it is basically a lap join with a lot of vibration and differing load on the join. So mastic creates a skin with a soft core that will "work" itself with the vibrations and not set in a potentially brittle "chunk". think windscreen sealants... because that is EXACTLY what it is... Silicone will probably work, but its longevity is questionable in this situation.

And as for the rivets... they are massive... so yeah go nuts with a hand gun, I doubt youll have any fun or success, i NEARLY did it with a regular hand gun, but glad i didnt.

omnipotent being
omnipotent being

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I did mine with a hand gun, but I have better than average crimp strength I guess, youll break a cheap tool as well

what awning is that?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:22 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ironman awning.

I just went through the install instructions and it actually calls for what I said also. But yeah if you got a bad ass hand gun, I guess its ok! i just had one available so I went with it! I have a Kinchrome one, but those rivets were pretty beefy.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: suzuki

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
man that looks sweet! same rails as mine!
they are STRONG 2.. i have had over 250kg on mine!!!

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: Nl pajero Lwb, 98 jimny

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Yup one of the best thing I done to the Jimny was my roof basket! Even with rear seats removed all I could fit in the back was a half drunk bottle Pepsi, 1 old sock and a fart! All the lightweight camping gear goes into my basket when out bush for days on end. Got myself a roof bag now to keep the dust/rain off my badass camp chair.... Can't wait till it warms up a bit!....farkin winter... Sux!

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:12 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
yeah i cant wait to give it a go out bush. gotta go back to work wednesday so wont be happening this time home.

The rack combined with my drawer, I have a LOT of useable space now. Anything on top of the drawers go in those white rectangular tubs too so I shouldnt have any problems fitting my gear in anymore.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny 2009

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:58 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi Scales. Is that the 1.4m x 2.0m awning? I was thinking about this size but wondered how much cover that one actually gave you. The 2.0m one would have a bit of an overhang though. Thanks Mike

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:20 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I have the TJM 2.0m awning and it overhangs a little but not enought that it bothers me. It only sticks out the back as far as the rear tyre and at the front it's about 25cm past the roof line.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:23 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Scales wrote:
Hey, I'm just telling people the way I found the best way of doing the job. If you want to go use silicone and a normal gun, go nuts, and best of luck truly. this is just worked best for me, and i thought id share it. Up to you if you want to take the advice.

The mastic is a much better suited sealant for the job as it is basically a lap join with a lot of vibration and differing load on the join. So mastic creates a skin with a soft core that will "work" itself with the vibrations and not set in a potentially brittle "chunk". think windscreen sealants... because that is EXACTLY what it is... Silicone will probably work, but its longevity is questionable in this situation.

And as for the rivets... they are massive... so yeah go nuts with a hand gun, I doubt youll have any fun or success, i NEARLY did it with a regular hand gun, but glad i didnt.

Take it easy man you do realise who asked the question? Check again. :thefinger: Just trying to clarify it for other people who may actually be using this thread to do the same. No point in saying you must use something a particular way and not explaining why in the first place.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:27 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Lol, sorry dude, didnt see who it was lol. yeah it actually says to use that shite in the instructions. Thought you were just another troll :peaceout:

Last edited by Scales on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:30 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Mike57 wrote:
Hi Scales. Is that the 1.4m x 2.0m awning? I was thinking about this size but wondered how much cover that one actually gave you. The 2.0m one would have a bit of an overhang though. Thanks Mike

Nah Mike, its the 2x2.5M awning. It barely overhangs at all. thats 2m ALONG the car btw.

it lines up just within the rear bumper vertically (I didnt want it past the rearmost of the car), and probably hangs out front barely 20cm or so. Perfect size IMO. You cant see it at all when driving and have to really lean forward to see it.

It comes out well enough to fit another car under if you were that way inclined lol.
When I get home, ill take another pic side-on so you can see the overhang. that wont be for another 2 weeks.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny 2009

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:47 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks Scales. It is certainly on my list of things to get so a pic when you get time would be great.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
If this helps in the meantime Mike, Jay has the same awning, mine sticks out the same distance at the front with none out back...

Vehicle: 2" lift, 215 a/t

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:25 am 
Reply with quote Top  
where abouts did you get the roof rack kit from and how much if you dont mind me asking. I want to do something similar to my jim.

thanks

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Go to the bottom of the page of he therad viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22946&start=360
Scales wrote:
I got a few more pics of me mounting the rails etc, which I'll stick in a thread a bit later on.
anyone whos interested in costings, this is what it was:
Rhinorack Crossbars and Tracks $295 (RRP $345)
Pro-Rack basket $100 (RRP $180)
Ironman Awning 2x2.5 $250 (RRP $340)

I got most stuff at a pretty decent rate cos im such a good customer at Opposite Lock :roll: , and the basket was on special at supercheap Armsup . so overall pretty happy with the outlay involved. I didnt include the 30 odd dollars that i had to spend on extra stainless steel hardware that i had to use. :evil:

Vehicle: 2" lift, 215 a/t

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:04 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
thanks for the link to the costings! did you need to take off the hoodlining for this?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:12 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
no. not needed. The pics is pretty much every step you need to take.

Vehicle: 1998 Jimny

Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:55 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Just a note of thanks for this "how to" made life much easier when we fitted the rack to my jimny.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:28 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
ianw53 wrote:
Just a note of thanks for this "how to" made life much easier when we fitted the rack to my jimny.

No worries mate. Glad it helps someone.

Vehicle: 2015 Suzuki Jimny

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:47 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thinking of fitting a roof basket on mine.

Anyone got some clearer photos of what they look like with an awning?

Post your baskets everyone!

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: 98 Jimny

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:42 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Here's a link to some that may help.

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=Suzuki+jimny+roof+awning

Vehicle: Jimny, 2015

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:42 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Good post. I'm thinking of ripping my factory ones with a more solid option.
Hope there still hanging in there

Jump to: