It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: MG410 Gypsy

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:45 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hey guys,

has anyone got one of these in there cars?
Attachment:
storage unit.gif

http://www.jcwhitney.com/wheel-well-sto ... 8d2119u0j1

please feel free to share your storage idea's. As im trying to add a tool box and a place to hold all the essential spare
parts needed in bush, incase we need to go mcguver when out in the bush..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vehicle: 1985 Holden Drover

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:05 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Looks very expensive for what it is IMO. Just get a normal alloy toolbox and bolt it to the floor.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:12 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I'd be very surprised if that would fit in a Sierra.

Personally, I use a 1960's Zarges trunk. These are still available, but are awfully expensive.

http://www.zargescases.com

You can see a picture of mine here.

Trimcast make a space case that fits very neatly in the back of a sierra.

Here's one in the back of Gregc's car

These aren't cheap either, but they are very durable and a very neat fit. You can get them from ARB, or (I think) direct from trimcast as you are in Melbourne.

If you are looking for smaller boxes, I use ammo boxes. They are very strong, seal, and are super cheap from disposal stores. The over-centre latches are way superior to most toolboxes - they don't rattle or come loose.

I use a mix of 7.62 and .50cal boxes.

One of the nice things about ammo boxes is that they can be cut to shape and welded up as they're steel.

Here's my .50cal box sitting in the back of Piggles

And how my 7.62 boxes sit in each corner. I've had to cut the bottom edge off the box to get it to sit here, but that's cool.

The 7.62 boxes are large enough to fit a snatch strap and two shackles, are a plenty big enough for normal tools, but obviously won't fit a breaker bar or 1/2" socket set.

Steve.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: JK Jeep LWB Sierra LJimny

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:02 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I picked up a Stanley tub with a hinged lid from supercheap auto for $25 and bolted it to the floor using the existing seat holes. It worked out really well and is alot safer now and there is still room for me to bolt the single seat in the back if it's ever required.

I recently bought a smaller shovel which fits in the tub as well, so all of my gear is secure...

It's just a cheap option...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 am 
Reply with quote Top  
all great idea's i think i will go with the idea of the ammo boxes, makes so much sense.

thanks for all the pics guys.

think i might pick some up on the weekend!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:39 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I've used those stanley type tubs before and they were quite good, but I found them a bit flimsy if heavily laden - the sides wanted to spread. It's probably not too much of an issue if it's appropriately bolted down to keep it stable though. Mine were strapped over the top. They're also not all that space efficient as theres that big flange where lids fit over the sides, and the sides are tapered to there's quite a lot of lost room if you want to pack beside one.

I'm not sure the availability of Rubbermaid action packers in Australia, we had one at work we bought a Kmart many years ago and it was very good.

These have a really good lid that's solid like an esky lid.

Steve.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:45 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I guess nothing will beat a set of drawers.

i like the look of those rubbermaid's
NSW based company
http://www.coxengineering.com.au/produc ... ontainers/

would be great to have something moulded to fit!!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:55 am 
Reply with quote Top  
http://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/trace ... box-50-cal

for $15 bux, i really cant complain. hahaa

Vehicle: LWB Sierra (assembly required)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
simple set of draws.

2 plastic "Ki-tab" tubs from Bunnings at about $30 each, 1 sheet of ply, I used 18mm 'cos it was free but 12mm should do, make a top, a base and three uprights, and hey presto - draws.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
steve125 - sold. i think ill make a set too

Vehicle: 92 Suzuki Sierra

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:58 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
.50 cal under hood passenger side. Fits quite a bit of stuff. Have contemplated swapping the sierra airbox for a boxy 80`s suzuki swift one so i can put one on the other side.

passenger side oem tray, after remoing it 6 years ago i put it back in, takes heaps of gear. have a cargo net to go over it all but never installed it as its pretty secure

$3 cargo nets from ebay, and .30 cal centre console

considering making some moulded bags like these

(sidebag set bottom corner)

Vehicle: 1985 lwb sierra UTE

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Use full topic guys iv got huge ali toolbox that was on my last zook I wana swap it for some of those 30 Cal boxs what the amo. Cases worth how water tight are?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.ph ... ddles.html

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.ph ... -tray.html

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.ph ... -tray.html

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.ph ... odels.html

found this :)

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJ50V, SJ70

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:

Here's one in the back of Gregc's car

These aren't cheap either, but they are very durable and a very neat fit. You can get them from ARB, or (I think) direct from trimcast as you are in Melbourne.

If you are looking for smaller boxes, I use ammo boxes. They are very strong, seal, and are super cheap from disposal stores. The over-centre latches are way superior to most toolboxes - they don't rattle or come loose.

I use a mix of 7.62 and .50cal boxes. The 7.62 boxes are large enough to fit a snatch strap and two shackles, are a plenty big enough for normal tools, but obviously won't fit a breaker bar or 1/2" socket set.

Steve.

The Army also use Trimcast Spacecases, and these can be bought cheaply surplus, either through auctions or from some Disposals stores. I have a couple in a few different sizes, and I've never paid over $100.

I love Ammo boxes, too. The .30cal (or 7.62) boxes fit under a Sierra seat. They are air and watertight, the one under my Driver's seat holds a first aid kit. Being water tight, water crossings dont threaten soaked bandages. And my toolkit lives in 2 .50cal boxes. One has the most basic tools that can come out on a trip by itself, the 2nd one contains the special tools and usually stays at home except for longer trips. A third .50cal Box contains an Air Compressor on a wooden base.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:51 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Great advice and pucs guys, thanks!!

Ive decided to build a set of drawers with a gap in the middle for a shovel, straps and all that.
I like the two ammo boxes where the wheel wells are, so i might try sneak them in too. Ill post somd pics up when im done

Vehicle: 92 tintop sierra

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:28 am 
Reply with quote Top  
The whole back section of mine is a huge draw/fake floor. Previous owner did it out of mdf and speaker carpet. Im scared for when i take on some water :lol:

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJ80

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:03 am 
Reply with quote Top  
i have a large hinged lid and a small hinged lid in front of a cut out for a jerry can (water bottle in it in the pic) next to a shovel storage spot under the spare (small cut out)
large lid is hinged at the start of the jerry can cut out to allow a flat area for a fridge
all made with 12mm ply and carpeted

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:42 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
KEENSY85 wrote:
Use full topic guys iv got huge ali toolbox that was on my last zook I wana swap it for some of those 30 Cal boxs what the amo. Cases worth how water tight are?

30 cal ammo boxes are anywhere from $5 (grubby and dented) to $20 (mint condition), but at twenty bucks they are still asking too much- most often real good first class ammo cans go for $10 to $15. water tight and air tight, take lots of punishment- after all, they are designed for grunts to chuck around and still be serviceable.
When you buy them- open them up, make sure the hinge pins are not damaged and loose and there is no rust inside.
If they had water inside when closed up there is no way for water to escape so they can rust in the bottom seams.
These cans are used for carrying all sorts of stuff around- not just ammo- minute traces of explosive residue (if present) are corrosive.
Rinse the can out, dry in the sun and its all good.
Last time I bought a bunch of cans from my local hardware, I got a bonus of 200 rounds of 5.56mm ammo in 15 round stripper clips that the military inspector missed!
Hardware store bloke was happy to give them to me as he didnt know what to do with them Armsup gottaloveafreebee

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:28 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
missmyljdaze wrote:
KEENSY85 wrote:

30 cal ammo boxes are anywhere from $5 (grubby and dented) to $20 (mint condition), but at twenty bucks they are still asking too much- most often real good first class ammo cans go for $10 to $15. water tight and air tight, take lots of punishment- after all, they are designed for grunts to chuck around and still be serviceable.

.50cal http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-50-CAL-A ... 35bfc26e60

.30cal http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUSSIE-METAL ... 231e0a780b

The cases are far more waterproof than you will ever need. I think they're good to about 100m depth.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:33 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
303zuke wrote:
Gwagensteve wrote:

I use a mix of 7.62 and .50cal boxes. The 7.62 boxes are large enough to fit a snatch strap and two shackles, are a plenty big enough for normal tools, but obviously won't fit a breaker bar or 1/2" socket set.

Steve.

The Army also use Trimcast Spacecases, and these can be bought cheaply surplus, either through auctions or from some Disposals stores. I have a couple in a few different sizes, and I've never paid over $100.

I love Ammo boxes, too. The .30cal (or 7.62) boxes fit under a Sierra seat. They are air and watertight, the one under my Driver's seat holds a first aid kit. Being water tight, water crossings dont threaten soaked bandages. And my toolkit lives in 2 .50cal boxes. One has the most basic tools that can come out on a trip by itself, the 2nd one contains the special tools and usually stays at home except for longer trips. A third .50cal Box contains an Air Compressor on a wooden base.

Here's my army surplus Spacecases in the back of the Sierra, and various size ammo boxes I also use. On the ground in front (from L to R) are a .30cal, a .50cal and a 20mm box. (BTW Steve, I think that's a 20mm case in the back of Piggles?).

The large Spacecase will fit between the wheelarches and with the rear seats folded up. With the rear seats removed, 2 20mm cases will fit in behind the Space case where the seats folded up. I remove the seat bolts and have a tiedown fitted in it's place and throw a light ratchet strap over them. While the Spacecases fit together excellently (designed to be modular so different sizes will still interlock), the Ammo cans will if stacked like with like, that is .30cal cans with .30cal cans, .50cal with .50cal. By keeping most of my stuff in .50cal cans (like the air compressor), they will neatly lock into each other when strapped down.

Personally, I prefer the idea of removable boxes that are watertight, dustproof and lockable over more permanent fixtures like false floors and drawers, simply because you can remove them during the week, or move them from vehicle to vehicle. The Spacecases and 20mm cans also make great campfire chairs!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vehicle: 1985 lwb sierra UTE

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
303zuke wrote:
missmyljdaze wrote:
KEENSY85 wrote:

.50cal http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-50-CAL-A ... 35bfc26e60

.30cal http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUSSIE-METAL ... 231e0a780b

The cases are far more waterproof than you will ever need. I think they're good to about 100m depth.

Sweet

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:06 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
303zuke wrote:
On the ground in front (from L to R) are a .30cal, a .50cal and a 20mm box. (BTW Steve, I think that's a 20mm case in the back of Piggles?).

yep, my bad.

It hadn't occurred to be to use a 7.62 box as a first aid kit box. That's a tops idea. I can't put anything under either of my seats, but it's not hard to find room for a 7.62 box, In fact, from memory, a 7.62 box will fit inside the door skin of a cut out 1/2 door.

Steve.

Vehicle: SJ51T

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:22 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Also gotta make a mention to Jonno165's idea of using the tailgate to house some winch extensions, snatch and tree trunk protectors.
not good for much else and can't put too much weight in it.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:33 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Santos wrote:
.50 cal under hood passenger side. Fits quite a bit of stuff. Have contemplated swapping the sierra airbox for a boxy 80`s suzuki swift one so i can put one on the other side.

When I joined the club in 1993, it seemed that every suzuki in the club had a toolbox mounted there. If you have complete inner guards, it's a great idea. It started to get a bit out of hand though - I saw a car with a huge mesh basket on one side with 9485674958769458 spares and tools jammed under bonnet, and another car with this massive fibreglass moulded box that used almost all the space on the passenger side.

I think some of the influence on this trend was a guy that ran a driver training business in Melbourne and had an epic amount of stuff jammed under bonnet in hid 80 series, from memory, including a chainsaw. :wink:

I don't think a single ammo box under bonnet is a bad idea at all, but I don't think I'd be storing flammables or anything except tools in it.

Steve

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:29 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
I don't think a single ammo box under bonnet is a bad idea at all, but I don't think I'd be storing flammables or anything except tools in it.
Steve

I got the idea originally from a porshe boxter/carrera underhood storage space to fold up something in sheet that utilised the entire length of the passenger side. Maximising the cargo area and out of sight. Maybe even make an internal locking section for transport of a combination rifle/shotgun... relocate windscreen washer bottle and charcoal canister but keep jack inside the unit.

After so many years of NOT putting in the .50 call like others cause i was going to get to making something infinately better, i decided last month that it was stupid me not utilising the space and fished out one of my cals and put it in (holes where already there from the original owner who had mounded a ford airhorn cause the stock horn beep affronted is masculinity :rofl: ) going to go .30 Cal centre console for the same reason.

I agree about flamibles in the enginebay .50 cal, at the moment it just has rags, jumper leads and some spare parts like a coil and light bulbs. In the rest of the engine bay i have pocketed 4x 1L oil bottles, 1l of water, 500ml of brakefluid, WD40 Spray and rags. Constantly trying to utilise every square cm of dead space in the car. (keep 8L of water under driver seat)

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
You don't think an aerosol can of WD40 can become flammable under heat and pressure?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:19 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
303zuke wrote:
You don't think an aerosol can of WD40 can become flammable under heat and pressure?

not when it sits behind the stock airbox, a looooong way from the exhaust

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:03 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Ok here it is, picked these boxes up from tullamarine for 18 dollars each.

Made a box from masters out of marine ply. All up cost me under $200 including the boxes. I think they have come up pretty neat, there a tight fit, just going to bolt them down to the floor and use come cammo boxa for the wheel arches.

Ive always wanted a set of drawers but didnt want to pay big buks for them. So this was my solution. I will finish ot off with a door to stop them sliding around offroad.

If anyone wants a set of the containers let me know.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: G13BB Jimny

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:25 am 
Reply with quote Top  
What width are the Trimcast cases that fit between the wheel arches?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:51 am 
Reply with quote Top  
The sizes are available on line from memory. It's a pretty snug fit between the guards. Gregc's car is tubbed and the tubs had to lightly massaged to get the box to drop in.

Steve.

Jump to: