It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Good Tech

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:33 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
yeah the hand piece is small, and hard to keep steady

Vehicle: 91 Tin Top

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:34 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
When I was working in heavy industry (mining & milling) I'd always go for the Lincoln migs, every time.

At home I've got a sweet little "TransTIG 16Pi", it's a High Frequency pulse TIG / stick caddy welder that has done me well for everything I've needed it for at work and around the house. It's got really fine control on the stick and was fine doing all the panel work on my brothers HG Holden. The HF pulse TIG is so smooth on stainless. I used to make a lot of fairly light gauge SS chutes and hoppers for work and you just have to get your gaps right and the pulse does all the work for you.
I'm pretty sure this TIG is a superseded unit now, I bought mine over 10 years ago. It's been dragged around everywhere and still going strong, I'd recommend them if you ever see a second-hand one pop up.

I recently borrowed the "BOC 200c" MIG from work to do my trailer, it was decent enough for a 15amp MIG, but wouldn't spend my own cash on one.

Vehicle: Sierra sj80

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:56 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Got my self a nice little nascar series lincoln 180c, i got it for $895 as i twisted a couple legs all lincolns have gone up new wide from what I've seen around the 1050 mark.

Platinum Supporter
Platinum Supporter

Vehicle: 2010 jimny

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:57 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
trying to do some fault finding.
i have cigweld weld skill 170. whenever i fuck up and stick a rod to my trailer causing a dead short, then rip the stick off, i have to turn the welder off, let the fan stop, then restart it. after that i can start welding again.

i can do anything, including trying to get a arc on the positive clamp. theres just no current/ voltage flowing through. anyone heard of that before?
its like theres a breaker in there that requires full restart to reset...

http://www.cigweld.com.au/product/diy/w ... -tool-box/

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: <3 Edna <3

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:07 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
1-the earth clamp should be nagative

2-do you have a 15amp power point your using?

3-you have a cheapish welder, it might just be an inbuilt overload function so that it doesn't blow, which annoying as it is is probably saving it.

Platinum Supporter
Platinum Supporter

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:49 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
1- check all good
2- nope, and im runing a 15A lead into it. I have however run a mates welder (exact model) like this and not had a problem at all. Then Monley was welding on 85A. At the moment im trying to weld on 60A which isnt a problem. Unless I stick a rod trying to get a arc
3- I emailed cigweld. They reckon it is weird. My mate who has the same welder will be back from holidays soon and ill try using his to see if it happens. If his is fine and mine still buggures up ill claim the warranty. It hasnt had enough useage to break thats for sure.

Are cigweld regarded as cheap? I mean it cost me over 300 bucks so it dosent seam cheap...

Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 08 SV650

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:17 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I have the same model and a similar problem, although mine has had a bit of use and abuse. Running 10A supply though. Got progressively worse until it started shutting off as soon as I struck up. Haven't tried it again for a while, had access to MIGs.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I have the same model and using a 15A outlet havent had any dramas with it. Have you tried it using a positive earth to see if it makes a difference ?

Platinum Supporter
Platinum Supporter

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:13 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
^yeh I have I found with eleterode neg or pos the problem still occours.
Might take it to a local electrician who do test n tag to see how better it runs on a 15a outlet...

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:09 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Haha, only positive earth if its TIG ;-)

Yeah they are cheapish. Its in the same boat as tigers11 verses ARB. They work 99% of the time but they have poorish quality.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
31zook wrote:
Haha, only positive earth if its TIG ;-)

I had heard to use a positive earth for thinner stuff, under 3mm, when stick welding as it doesnt heat up the material as much so less chance of warping or blowing holes ? Have done it when welding up 1ish mm tube without any dramas.

Vehicle: 91 Tin Top

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:20 am 
Reply with quote Top  
^^ correct.

And I wouldn't say CIGWeld is as bad as Tigerz11, maybe more like the BCF brand 'XTM'.... :P

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:49 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thats a new one to me bev. If it works I guess.

I would like to see someone TIG weld with the wrong polarity haha

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: G13BB Jimny

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:45 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
It's weird. The job arcs back to the tungsten haha

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB Ute, Lkd 33's

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
So there's plenty of talk on MIG's but not a whole lot on arcs.
I'm wanting to use and arc as it saves on buying gas and consumables and is suited for outdoors and portability.
I've found a bit of a list with the following inverter DC arc welders that aren't too expensive.
Uni-Mig Arc 170 or Arc 140
Cigweld Weldskill 170 or 130
BOC Smootharc 170

Any opinions? owners?
Mainly just general purpose 2-6mm steel, no need to use the tig function.
I've used an old old "pie warmer" AC 3 phase arc reasonably competently before but no idea on the newer ones.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:21 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ive got the cigweld and love it. 2-6mm is easy as, I have even done exhaust tube with it before, I tried panelwork and it can do it but it is far from ideal.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 08 SV650

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:11 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I've got a Cigweld 170 too - was great before it started tripping circuit breakers as soon as I got an arc started. Haven't had a chance to suss out the problem.

Platinum Supporter
Platinum Supporter

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:53 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
DarkHorse wrote:
I've got a Cigweld 170 too - was great before it started tripping circuit breakers as soon as I got an arc started. Haven't had a chance to suss out the problem.

Is it tripping the breaker or the welder itself? Mine has a quirk. If I stick a rod trying to get a arc it trips and I have to turn it on and off again to get it to put out voltage again

Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 84 LWB NT

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I think it's time I upgrade my CIG. The 175i transmig is a bit rubbish compared to a using a Lincon 180sp the other day :(

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: G13BB Jimny

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:34 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Armsup

Vehicle: AGD - 1:43

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
if you need some help the give me a pm, may be i can help you in this regard, I am a professional welder

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: 2012 honda city

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Donald-123 wrote:
if you need some help the give me a pm, may be i can help you in this regard, I am a professional welder

good to hear that donald, check your pm plz, thanks

Profile WWW  

I live here!
I live here!

Vehicle: Which one?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:15 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I have read this thread a dozen times over the past couple of years, but here's my situation in a nutshell:
I want to weld body panels easily (well, as easily as possible) and I'm happy to sacrifice welding ability at greater thicknesses (4-6mm) in pursuit of that.

Should I:
a) Shut up, buy a 180c
b) Get a 180c and shut up
c) Get something cheaper and/or smaller with the sole purpose of gluing thin sheet to other thin sheet

I have other welders available to me if and when I feel the need to stick really heavy plate to other bits of heavy plate.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 84 LWB NT

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
A

Or buy something like the CIG transmig 175i that can do stick, TIG and MIG. It welds the thin stuff pretty well and can easily burn 10mm plate together all day long for the same price as the 180c.

I live here!
I live here!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
monley wrote:
A

Or buy something like the CIG transmig 175i that can do stick, TIG and MIG. It welds the thin stuff pretty well and can easily burn 10mm plate together all day long for the same price as the 180c.

I have been thinking more and more about this type of option, particularly due to the Binzel (or Binzel copy in the case of the 175i) guns for ease of parts and such.

I have generally never been a fan of multi-function machines but looking around Trade Tools today it seems that literally everything other than their cheapo 90A mig are now 3-in-1 units (stick/mig/tig).

Any thoughts on this thing: https://www.tradetools.com/product-rang ... -argon-reg

Amperage is nothing to write home about but duty cycle holds its own in this price category, at 35% at max (160A). I have other options available should I ever need to weld together an M1 Abrams but it looks ok on paper? Comes with all torches and leads, rollers/liners, argon reg, and a genuine Binzel gun.

I originally went to take a look at this https://www.tradetools.com/product-rang ... p-portable thinking it was a standalone mig but it's actually just the same machine with a shittier gun and none of the other extras. I have a feeling the $150 extra is well spent on the other unit, should I go this route.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:28 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Yep. Do it. Your not gonna weld all day every day and it will do the job just fine

I live here!
I live here!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:18 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
These are on special from BOC for another month for under $710. They are usually about $950

http://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au-boc-in ... rc-mig-180

I have sold a few now and everyone that has used it has come back and said they were impressed. Standard 18 month warranty and use a binzel torch

I live here!
I live here!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:56 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
ball wrote:
These are on special from BOC for another month for under $710. They are usually about $950

http://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au-boc-in ... rc-mig-180

I have sold a few now and everyone that has used it has come back and said they were impressed. Standard 18 month warranty and use a binzel torch

Cheers, ball. I am actually going out to BOC in the morning to 'talk shop' about this very unit based on your suggestion. It looks like it ticks a lot of boxes for me, except for maybe the 50amp minimum current but semi-synchronous operation and 0.6 wire should mean a numpty like me should be able to glue some metal shit to some other metal shit and have it stick.

I live here!
I live here!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:50 am 
Reply with quote Top  
And sold! $706 for that unit as well as a D-sized bottle of argoshield and another free refill in the next 12 months was a cracking deal. They even gave me a hat signed by Jason Bright to sweeten the deal Armsup

All in all, I now have a complete mig kit, a bottle of gas plus one refill, a new pair of fancy gloves to replace my shit ones, a new auto-darkening helmet, two rolls of 0.6 and 0.8 wire, and a bunch of tips and sundries, and it all came in at around 900 bucks.

Thanks again, ball.

I live here!
I live here!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:36 am 
Reply with quote Top  
henno wrote:
And sold! $706 for that unit as well as a D-sized bottle of argoshield and another free refill in the next 12 months was a cracking deal. They even gave me a hat signed by Jason Bright to sweeten the deal Armsup

All in all, I now have a complete mig kit, a bottle of gas plus one refill, a new pair of fancy gloves to replace my shit ones, a new auto-darkening helmet, two rolls of 0.6 and 0.8 wire, and a bunch of tips and sundries, and it all came in at around 900 bucks.

Thanks again, ball.

No worries.

Sounds like you got a better deal than I get out of them :?

You may need to get a different feed roller to run .6 wire. Not sure if the standard one goes that small.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: