It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Vehicle: Vitara SV420

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:33 am 
Reply with quote Top  
shep wrote:
Try and find a short dongle, mine is 5cm long and digs into my leg when driving.

Are they are those new ones that also come with the 'automatic temperature protrusion calibration system'? :lol:

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny Sierra 2015

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:52 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
vet 180 wrote:
Qthefun wrote:
vet 180 wrote:
Qthefun wrote:
going to order a obd and have fun explaining to the wife what it is for :P

Good Idea. We have an oem quality temp sensor to tap into and know the parameters that that temp sensor in that location should operate within. so we are looking at 80-90deg from that sensor in that location to be within factory specs.

Just tell the wife the truth, you bought a cool gadget that allows you to monitor your engine and trans.

The OBD2 sensor we hooked up to my mates r50 pathfinder worked great. We overheated the engine in the desert (because american spec radiator) and the obd2 app would tell the exact temp when it started to increase well before the dash gauge did. It meant we had time to react and get the car in a cool spot to cool down. If we relied on just the Dash gauge we would have been in a little trouble i reckon as it only started climbing after the obd2 sensor already said it was hot.

Latin wife... some times the truth hurts lol

So vet do you think pulling out the obd2 sensor before service should keep us safe yer?

Literally just ordered it! like that it is expandable ;)

kkkk My wife is also latin (Brazilian)......trust me I know!

You could even keep the sensor in and they wont care, but I would pull it. There is no way for them to know you had it plugged in. It's also good as you are not adding another potential failure point. You also know the range of temp for that gauge in that location because as you have noticed gauge location will have different readings each person with their own opinion on what is correct.

Ha ha true! learnt any Portuguese?
at least this will help sort out temps :) mission accomplished!!

shep... mate is that a dongle in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Vehicle: A manly awesome man jimny

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:55 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Haha ya strange buggers. The obd port is close to the inside leg when driving

Pun intended:)

Vehicle: Vitara 1994

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:25 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Qthefun wrote:
vet 180 wrote:
Qthefun wrote:
vet 180 wrote:
Qthefun wrote:
going to order a obd and have fun explaining to the wife what it is for :P

Good Idea. We have an oem quality temp sensor to tap into and know the parameters that that temp sensor in that location should operate within. so we are looking at 80-90deg from that sensor in that location to be within factory specs.

Just tell the wife the truth, you bought a cool gadget that allows you to monitor your engine and trans.

The OBD2 sensor we hooked up to my mates r50 pathfinder worked great. We overheated the engine in the desert (because american spec radiator) and the obd2 app would tell the exact temp when it started to increase well before the dash gauge did. It meant we had time to react and get the car in a cool spot to cool down. If we relied on just the Dash gauge we would have been in a little trouble i reckon as it only started climbing after the obd2 sensor already said it was hot.

Latin wife... some times the truth hurts lol

So vet do you think pulling out the obd2 sensor before service should keep us safe yer?

Literally just ordered it! like that it is expandable ;)

kkkk My wife is also latin (Brazilian)......trust me I know!

You could even keep the sensor in and they wont care, but I would pull it. There is no way for them to know you had it plugged in. It's also good as you are not adding another potential failure point. You also know the range of temp for that gauge in that location because as you have noticed gauge location will have different readings each person with their own opinion on what is correct.

Ha ha true! learnt any Portuguese?
at least this will help sort out temps :) mission accomplished!!

shep... mate is that a dongle in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Yeah learnt a little bit, no choice really as her family don't speak English. But I still have trouble with basic comumication, it can get quite difficult and fustratrating tbh. And yourself have you learnt any?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:42 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
ci muco!!! lol only enough to get my self into trouble... not back out again :P

shep... if the dongle was on the outside of your leg I would be worried ;)

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:02 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
So went for a flat out 5 hour desert run on the weekend, but my wife took my phone so didn't monitor temps. Would have been interesting as it was a decent drive. Next drive will be 2 weeks. I will post some results then

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:38 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
but it reads trans temp?
like testing when you got the obd?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:52 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Got my OBD2, hooked it up, no trans temp...
got heaps of other stuff.
maybe it needs a plugin

Vehicle: 91 Tin Top

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:05 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Some of the cheaper scanners have limited functions, try some other apps first. Not that many options on iPoo, but a few to chose from with android.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:13 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
bought a good OBD2 and using torque (has the software to read trans temp) as I believe the obd2 has ability to read all the factory sensors :)

Will have another play with settings/other apps (only ever use android)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:49 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Qthefun wrote:
bought a good OBD2 and using torque (has the software to read trans temp) as I believe the obd2 has ability to read all the factory sensors :)

Will have another play with settings/other apps (only ever use android)

Post results I will be intersted

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny 2013

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:17 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I booked my Jimny in for its 70,000 service the other day, i asked Suzuki (Armstrong Auto) - Toowoomba, how often their system says the auto trans oil needs changing.... Their response was that the oil is made for "The life of the car". Personally i find that a bit concerning???

Vehicle: 98 SQ420, 05 JB420, 21 A6G415

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:16 am 
Reply with quote Top  
The Jimny FSM I have says automatic transmission fluid should be changed every 100,000 miles, or every 12,000 miles under severe driving conditions - towing, rough and/or muddy roads or repeated short trips in extremely cold weather - and whilst this may not be applicable to your particular model, it does appear to be identical to the wording in my other Suzuki FSMs.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:08 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
striker99 wrote:
I booked my Jimny in for its 70,000 service the other day, i asked Suzuki (Armstrong Auto) - Toowoomba, how often their system says the auto trans oil needs changing.... Their response was that the oil is made for "The life of the car". Personally i find that a bit concerning???

They are wrong. It's at 40,000kms with the major service

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:09 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
fordem wrote:
The Jimny FSM I have says automatic transmission fluid should be changed every 100,000 miles, or every 12,000 miles under severe driving conditions - towing, rough and/or muddy roads or repeated short trips in extremely cold weather - and whilst this may not be applicable to your particular model, it does appear to be identical to the wording in my other Suzuki FSMs.

12,000 miles it is for me then

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:26 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Still no luck with trans temps :(

Vehicle: Vitara SV420

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:49 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
vet 180 wrote:
fordem wrote:

12,000 miles it is for me then

Ah so around 20,000kms. Just like we suggested on the first page of this thread eh Vet! :D

Vehicle: 2009 Jimny

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:16 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Qthefun wrote:
Still no luck with trans temps :(

I couldn't read any data from my OBD dongle in the Jimny either, until I found this app. Give it a try

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.malykh.szviewer.android

Jumping into this interesting thread after having to replace all my clutch plates due to overlooking the 30K oil change interval and playing often in the dunes. My Auto started slipping in 4th on my way back from another dunes trip. It held itself till 85K Km :roll:

Anyway, I learnt the lesson and now I'm looking for an additional external cooler.
Do you have any photos of installed ones in the Jimny, how they look when installed and where to install it?
Also is there any recommendation for a std cooler from another car that can fit?

Thx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jump to: