It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Good Tech

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 2006 Jimny JLX

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:26 am 
Reply with quote Top  
20zook15 wrote:
unexpected need for some more space has arisen!

I think that's a common reason for it

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: Jimny 1800 2009

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:00 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Just some feedback on my M18 conversion. Did the conversion at 110000 km.
Odo meter now at 205000 km. So 55000 km done. No gearbox, transfer case and diff problems.
I also do not drive like grandma going to church. Done some serious off road stuff like a recent 5000 km trip in Mozambique.
I now fitted a ARB rear diff lock. I replaced the crown wheel and pinion just to be on the save side.
To my surprise, the original diff shows no obvious sighs of wear. The back lash seems to be very little and is about the same as in a new Jimny.
So this is my 2 cents worth of info. May it give some Mates peaceful sleep. :D :D

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:53 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I've also done 50,000 with my 1.8 and no driveline problems

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:46 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
To be fair Muscle, there are too many other variables to use your experience to put anyone's mind at rest. I've seen plenty of Jimny driveline failures with g13 and m13 engines.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:56 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
To be fair Muscle, there are too many other variables to use your experience to put anyone's mind at rest. I've seen plenty of Jimny driveline failures with g13 and m13 engines.

You seem to hang out with people who are great at breaking Jimnys.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I can only report what I see. I've never seen one driven hard either.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:46 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
I can only report what I see.

As Muscle was doing

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:29 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I think sample size is also important. I've seen many jimny's over many years.

Steve.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:31 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Living with one is better sampling than observation.

By the way I know you are Steve, it's in your user name so no need for signing off.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:51 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
zukenutter wrote:

Do you want to think about that a bit more? That makes no sense.

I'm 5'7" tall. Therefore I can say without further observations, from my experience of my sample size, that all men must be 5'7" tall.

Likewise, I could have lived with a jimny for a few years and broken nothing, that doesn't make my opinion superior someone who has observed many Jimny's being driven off road since they were launched, unless you wanted to find that Jimny's don't break.

Steve.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:09 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
zukenutter wrote:

Do you want to think about that a bit more? That makes no sense.

I'm 5'7" tall. Therefore I can say without further observations, from my experience of my sample size, that all men must be 5'7" tall.

Likewise, I could have lived with a jimny for a few years and broken nothing, that doesn't make my opinion superior someone who has observed many Jimny's being driven off road since they were launched, unless you wanted to find that Jimny's don't break.

Steve.

Me: Big long reply.. blah blah blah... Delete delete delete. LOL Not worth continuing and wrecking a perfectly good tech thread

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: 91 Tin Top

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:21 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
zukenutter wrote:
Me: Big long reply.. blah blah blah... Delete delete delete. LOL Not worth continuing and wrecking a perfectly good tech thread

Wise choice.
This was the last guy that tried to convince Steve that not every single part on a Jimny is made of glass..... :wink:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
And I wasn't trying to wreck anything. I was only challenging the idea that one person's experience with very little other information should put people's mind at rest. I think the whole reason we're on these forums is to learn from a broad base of experience.

In relation to jimny's driveline being made of glass, It would take a bit to turn that opinion around, but I wil provide some expansion. "When used for touring, or driven the same places and in the same manner as a comparibly equipped sierra, a jimny's driveline appears to be made of glass, from my observations and experience"

There.

Vehicle: LJ50V 2 stroke

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:34 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I broke more driveline part in my Jimny than there were replacement parts in Victoria at one point.
and this was over ten years ago, when everything had less wear than it does now.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:38 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Me: Start of long reply... Delete delete delete. OOPS! I did it again. :rofl: :rofl:

Gwagensteve wrote:
And I wasn't trying to wreck anything.

Yet you continue.

Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:39 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
pete_79 wrote:
Wise choice.

:lol:

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: Jimny

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:32 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Great thread! Just a pity the pics are missing from post 1.

My M16A engine arrives next week and next weekend I will be fitting. Looking forward to the strip and transplant. Thanks to all who contributed here!

Adjustable panhard rods
235/75r15 Kumho KL51

Ex: 2010 Suk Grand Vitara
Ex: Toyota Yaris TS

Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:59 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagon if you keep filling tech threads with pointless dribble you will be joining hillbilly in the moderated list

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:51 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Some information to update post 1.

I have just finished putting in the M16A directly out of the Swift Sport. There are a number of things you need to do different from the rest of the M series motors.

You have to use the M13A head on the M16A block, due to the M16A head not having the EGR valve. The ports are physically not in the head. I used the complete m13a head. Not sure what the difference is with the cams, but the intake and exhaust valves are exactly the same size. Howver, the intake and exhaust ports on the m13a head are bigger. This doesn't mean more power is going to be made, but its something to investigate.

Then the shower stopper...on all other M series engines, except the swift sport m16a, the timing gear on the crank is the same. To get the m16a to run on the m13a ecu, you need to swap this gear from the m13a crank to the m16a crank.

Simple as that.

Fired up on the first crank and running well, however there is some pinging. My jimny is currently at the exhaust shop for a full branch and 57mm exhaust, following that it will go to the tuner for a chip to adjust fueling and timing.

Adjustable panhard rods
235/75r15 Kumho KL51

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:58 am 
Reply with quote Top  
That's interesting about the EGR ports, haven't heard this before. I know a couple of people running the 1.6 Sport but I'm pretty sure they didn't swap heads.
Keen to hear more about how you go with chipping it.

Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:40 am 
Reply with quote Top  
i sure as hell wouldnt be swapping heads at the possible detriment of power to gain an egr valve that most people want to get rid of.

Vehicle: On the lookout

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
The Free image hosting website I was using has flipped to a pay service. I'll see if I can find the pictures again...

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:40 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thx Squibby. Pics would be great.

@tanshi, that's a debatable point. The Swift rally car used the m13a head, so there must be something good about it. I don't have all the tech details, but I know that as the motor is now it is a massive improvement ove rthe m13a. To be able to spin 235/75/15 tires and generate some smoke is enough power in my eyes. Having said that, I have access to m13a and m16a cams now and will see if I can figure out if there is a difference. The cams are actually marked witha code, and even the same year engines sometimes have different codes. Whether this has to do with different cam profiles or just bearing clearances, I don't know. I chatted with my tuner, and the one thing the chip is not able to remove is the EGR error that pops up.

@ZukeNutter, I will check for pics, but I cant recall if I took pics of the heads side by side. What I do know is that the m13a intake and exhaust ports are bigger, by some 5mm per port. The valves are exactly the same size. As mentioned above, I am not certain of cam specs. Chip is being installed and tuned on Thursday and then I will have more detail. What I do know is that it is running rich, if my AF gauge is working. It was bouncing around at about 10.5 AF on idle.

Exciting times!

Adjustable panhard rods
235/75r15 Kumho KL51

Vehicle: suzuki sierra

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:23 am 
Reply with quote Top  
will m15a non vvt manual motor from a holden cruze fit onto a automatic m13a 2003 jimny non vvt?

thanks
david

Vehicle: stock

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:14 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Yes no difference in auto or manual

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:12 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Some info to update Rivars' post

I have just finished putting in the M16A directly out of the Swift Sport. There are a number of things you need to do different from the rest of the M series motors.

You have to use the M13A head on the M16A block, due to the M16A head not having the EGR valve. The ports are physically not in the head. I used the complete m13a head. Not sure what the difference is with the cams, but the intake and exhaust valves are exactly the same size. Howver, the intake and exhaust ports on the m13a head are bigger. This doesn't mean more power is going to be made, but its something to investigate.

My Exhaust port was larger by 5mm, but Intake port, exactly the same.

Then the shower stopper...on all other M series engines, except the swift sport m16a, the timing gear on the crank is the same. To get the m16a to run on the m13a ecu, you need to swap this gear from the m13a crank to the m16a crank.

This "timing gear" is a "sensor plate".
It is inside the block on the crankshaft and fires the crank angle sensor, as opposed to the "timing sprocket" which lives on the crankshaft outside the block and drives the chain and camshafts.

Awesome thread and great engine conversion.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:53 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Glad you came right Barry.

I think I mentioned it in the private message, that the m16 cams have bigger lift and duration than the m13.

1.5mm on intake and 1mm on exhaust. The exhaust came is a direct drop in. The intake needs a bit of fine tuning...

On the end of the m16 intake cam is another tooth gear for the cam angel sensor pickup. This needs to be swapped from the m13 cam... Then when doing timing, the cam has to be retarded by 1 tooth on the timing marks to work...

My final dyno figures are 85kw and 145nm at flywheel.

Adjustable panhard rods
235/75r15 Kumho KL51

Vehicle: subaru

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:03 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Has anybody considered doing an engine swap with a diesel? They came out as standard in Europe.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:49 am 
Reply with quote Top  
The Diesel Jimny in Europe is made in Spain by Santana. It uses a 1.5 renault (?) diesel.

They're no great thing, being a cheaply engineered car that exists just because of the cheaper diesel price in Europe. It doesn't exist because it's awesome.

The Renault engine and its appropriate gearbox isn't readily available here. Every time this comes up someone links the ACME adapter for the VW TDi engine, which also isn't readily available here, doesn't really fit in a RHD application, (and wasn't designed for a Jimny anyway)

If you wish to pursue this further, in my opinion you'd want to start with a very early Jimny (G engine, lever shift transfer, no immobiliser, no ECU involvement in transfer shifting etc, and import a 1.9 TDI VW motor with a mechanical pump.

You'd also want an overdrive gearbox, not the Jimny gearbox with a direct 5th, because early Jimny's rev far too high at 100km/h to work with a diesel.

consider also that most laden jimny's with a front bar and/or dual batteries and/or a winch already take the front axle over maximum weight. roughly doubling the weight of the engine (and perhaps gearbox) will play havoc with the front axle housing and radius arms.

Vehicle: subaru

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:44 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for all the info. I didn't know much about the European version only that they made one. I thought the diesel option for Oz would be better than petrol.thanks again. Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next

Jump to: