It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: 2008 Suzuki Jimny

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:23 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi All

I want to learn more about engine/vehicle management and since I'll likely be fitting a bigger engine to the Jimny in the future, I'm looking at fitting a standalone Haltech ECU (flavour yet to be determined). I've already confirmed the M13A Trigger and Home signal configuration is supported in the form of the M16A option in the Haltech ESP software. Further detail can be found at the Haltech forum.

Since I want to be able swap back to the OEM ECU to drive the car between tinkering sessions and possibly keep the Haltech if I sell the Jimny, I'll be making a patch lead for between the vehicle harness and the Haltech. Given the female plugs (same as OEM ECU) are not readily available I've sourced a spare ECU from Gerryb here, to butcher for the plugs. I've also got the AMP Superseal plugs on the way from DigiKey for the Haltech.

What I still need to work out is the pin-out of the ECU harness. Since Suzuki went to an online manual for the VVT Jimny's I'll likely have to bell out and test every connection. :|
I plan to post as much detail here as I can gather
If anyone has a link to or copy of the wiring diagram for a VVT Jimny MT ECU. I'd be much obliged. I'll still need to bell and test a lot of it anyway but would be nice to not be going in so blind. I do already have copies of the the latest available manuals that are proving to be of some value, but they're pre-VVT and relate to the 3 plug ECU's not the 4 plug unit my Jimny has.

I'll be farming the actual fuel, timing and VVT mapping etc out to a real tuner with a dyno and I'm hoping to be able to find one in Vic that will let me sit in on the process.

I've also pretty much written off getting the factory immobilizer operational unless I get real keen, sniff the workings and possibly patch in an alternative microprocessor to do the job. Maybe not so difficult now I think about it......

Still need to get my head around the 4wd controller I/O and what that connection actually does. This doesn't scare me a whole lot though either.

All this being said I may very well be biting off more than I can chew, in which case I can always just go the piggyback option and be done with it.

If anyone has any info that may be useful please post away.

Aaaaaand before any naysayers chime in...... I know it's probably (read: definitely) not worth the money or the hassle but I like to learn and there are very few options for fitting an aftermarket ECU to my 3.0L CRTD Colorado and the Jimny will be a whole lot cheaper to fix if I cock anything up...... and cocking something up is very likely :)

Watch this space......

Vehicle: Vitara 1994

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:58 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
If you doing to learn that’s cool. The only way I see it being worth it is if you plan to go turbo and or bigger engine down the track. For the NA tune I would just let the self learn do what it does.

A turbo jim would be great fun in sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:12 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
There's 1, possibly 2 Jimnys in perth running Haltech ecus.

Kyle Smith/Smiffkid (user on here) has one with an M16a turbo running haltech. The other I heard word of mouth but I don't know who owns it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:21 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Kyles is g16b and isnt what you would call economical.
I dare say you will struggle to get factory driveability

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:35 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
MrRocky wrote:
I dare say you will struggle to get factory driveability

So much this.

Cold start, "under the curve" throttle response, economy, transients etc are all areas where factory ECU tuning will be miles ahead of a local dyno tune on an aftermarket ECU.

With an internally standard motor and a desire for off road drivability, I don't suggest the effort will be worth it. The best you could achieve is getting close to stock drivability with a tiny (like imperceptibly tiny) increase in power.

I started to type out that "if you were dealing with a reflash of a factory ECU to allow for, say, a big cam in an LS3, I'm sure good results could be had...."

and then remembered there's a guy at work who has exactly that - An LS3 VF with a cam and exhaust and apparently it's a pig - runs fat - owner isn't happy at all - and this would have to be about the most common reflash ever.

I completely understand the need to aftermarket ECU's in boosted/highly modified/race applications, but they're not applications where daily drivability are important at all.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:05 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
With an internally standard engine I seriously doubt you will get any increase in power also with a very high chance of losing power. Most tuners tune rich which kills power.

If you are doing for the learning experience, go the whole way and learn to tune with it NA and then slap on a turbo later when you have the tuning skills.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:44 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I had heard about the turbo Jimny from friends in WA who saw it in action on the dunes. They were impressed but I doubt I'll go the turbo option I prefer scrub to sand. And then again ya never know.

The main aim is to learn more about engine and vehicle management. Not chasing power from the ecu alone so any gains will be a bonus and even if I wasn't so keen to get my head around it all. I'd still likely go a piggyback setup when the bigger engine goes in just to make sure it was fueling properly (better). It will be at least an Elite 1500 as I want to see the self learning in action. Flex fuel is also on the cards later on and possibly DBW, again just because. The driveability is going to be part of the challenge and I plan to keep it as plug n play as possible.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:22 am 
Reply with quote Top  
What bigger engine do you plan on going?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:08 am 
Reply with quote Top  
M18A is the plan

Vehicle: suzuki jimny

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:25 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
such a cool project!! I toyed with the idea of going a full haltech for the same reasons as you, to learn + play

I did a fairly deep dive into the VVT ecu literature when I adapted a 05 liana ECU to my 06 M18 jimny a few months ago. I have VVT jimny manuals a bit big to email but if you send me your vin number I can email you the relevant manuals/schematics or if you are in melbourne you could come grab the whole lot.

its all pretty straight forward just a bit daunting when you first look.

as for the 4wd controller it's a myth that it has any interface with the ECU, the only connection there is the A/C clutch circuit which runs through the controller from the ECU

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:58 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Sweet! PM sent

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:59 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi All

Just a brief update.

I have received the sacrificial OEM ECU (Thanks GerryB) and the AMP connectors and pins to make the patch harness.

I've been provided with a better set of manuals that cover the VVT version of the Jimny which should save me a whole lot of time and frustration. (Thanks TroyC)

I have also sourced a spare set of M13A injectors I will be sending off to be serviced and have dead times reported. (Thanks again GerryB)

I made a start on the I/O mapping for an ELITE 1500 and it looks like I'll be able to get it all working without an expansion module and all without using the DBW I/O's so they're still available if I get really keen and decide to tinker with DBW later on. I have added a Wide Band O2 module though.

Stay tuned

Jump to: