It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:39 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Not Enough

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:15 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum & am currently looking at purchasing a Suzuki sierra to take out to our family farm. Im looking for one that is a good fun car to take when I go fishing also therefore I would like to find a good one & keep it rego'd.

I have seen a Sierra for sale in northern NSW with a v6 commodore engine in it and have read only bad things about them, This one I have seen is fully engineered although its not running correctly although its apparently only a fuel pump...... I have been told as they can apparently make it start with spray start. The reason this one caught my eye was because its a sierra with a V6, I have since read that because of all the modifications required to the driveline needed to handle the extra power the additional wieght bassically cancelles out the extra power, is this true?

I was hoping someone could shed some light on their experiences and let me know your thoughts. I can send a link to the add although I'm not sure whats acceptable on this forum.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
More mods = more problems
The diffs, unis, transfer, ect... are all at there limit with a mild increase over stock let alone 4 x the power

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:56 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Just because something is engineered doesn’t make it a good idea, it merely meets the minimum legal standards for registration and construction.

If you need a car with the power and torque of a v6 (admittedly one a feeble as the Buick motor) to do the job you don’t want a Sierra. Sierras are best kept light and simple.

Take this from someone who has a heavy complex Sierra.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:14 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks Guys,

You have basically confirmed what I was thinking. I just wanted to check it wasn't a Holden Vs Ford kind of debate with the commodore engines. If you don't mind one more question...... For a weekend farm / fishing / 4x4 vehicle am I best looking for one completely stock (minimal mods) or one with a GTI engine or similar.

We often go to a farm in Hill End NSW and live in Camden NSW (3.5hr drive) & although I have been told it will be a slow bumpy ride there and back I'm totally fine with that considering some of the other cars I have taken there. The thing is the terrain at hill end in areas quite rocky and steep so I just want to make sure I do the right thing by looking at the correct sierra with the right torque for around the farm & enough speed to hopefully not sit on 80km/hr the entire way. For those who are thinking why am I after a sierra - I just like them, always have done and now I would like to purchase one.

I'm also keen to hear of simple mods to a untouched sierra that would make it more suitable for what I'm after, I'm not buying a sierra to build the ultimate off road 4x4 but a fun weekend car that's reliable & more than happy to spend the $$ to get it there. Any help is appreciated.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:03 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Firstly welcome to the forum!!

timj86 wrote:
its not running correctly although its apparently only a fuel pump...... I have been told as they can apparently make it start with spray start.

^ this is not likely the problem. I’ve seen heaps of cars where the seller says “it’s only the ....”, and “it’s a cheap fix, the part costs $xx from supercheap “. I ask then why they haven’t fixed it themselves and sell the car in complete running condition for more money?

The problems that Aerostart can resolve for a solid few seconds can be anything. And if it was a cheap easy fix like they claim they would have done it.

Also, although I can’t talk from personal experience I agree with Mr Rocky and Gwagon. A V6 is unnecessary (and will break driveline components) and who knows how bodgy they were doing the conversion. I’d put small wagers down that you’ll forever be chasing your tail trying to diagnose faults incessantly.

My advice, get a stock Sierra if Sierra’s are your thing. You’ll have HEAPS of fun and the more you drive it the more you’ll be able to choose what mods you want to do.

My advice is to stick to subtle mods and don’t mod anything without scouring AZ, draw on others experiences to make your own more. Read the Sierra 101 thread!! Priceless info and will answer questions you don’t even know you have yet [emoji3]

Let us know what you end up with [emoji3] enjoy

Edit: here’s the link to Sierra 101 in case you have trouble finding it

viewtopic.php?p=893398#p893398

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks again,

I will hopefully find the right car before Christmas. All of the help has been great and I now feel confident going back to what I was originally looking for.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hey,

If any of you come across a good Sierra please be sure to let me know.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:29 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Where are you located?

I know of a cracker LWB trayback in Karratha but it’s no good to you if your in QLD I’d imagine.

Keep searching gumtree, there’s always gems that pop up if your patient enough

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:47 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks,

I’m located near Camden NSW although wouldn’t say no to a road trip if it was worth while.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:07 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for your help guys, I have now bought a stick good condition Sierra (soft top) & will post some pics up in the other section of this forum (member rides) I think.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:42 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
timj86 wrote:
will post some pics up

Great work!! Can’t wait to see the trusty steed :)

Jump to: