It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Trailers and Camping

Vehicle: 1999 GV. Locked and Lifted

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:08 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
With so many camping topics coming up I thought id start one on swags. With so many different options on the market the choice is huge.

post up what swag you have or what you just bought. Thoughts on quality, little things you like and hate, Materials used where you bought it from and PRICE.

include pics and web details if possible.

I'll start

Been looking around for a cheap swag for the kids to use when they come camping with me.

Lots of the cheap dome style swags only allow access in from the top and the kids like climbing in from the end. So after lots of looking around I found one at Harvey Norman Big Buys.

Its a Diamantina Outpost King Single Swag. (Apparently its from the same supplier as the Roman Swags.)

For a cheap Swag ($129.00) its not bad quality. its Ripstop Poly Cotton canvas with 3 fiberglass poles. Internal space is great. Both kids fit in it with ease, it has several handy internal storage pockets in the zip open end flap and one either side of the head end for keys, wallet or phone, and it even has a handy pocket to store the poles when rolled up.
The Ripstop canvas is very stiff but should soften with use.
Mattress supplied with the swag is average so a new mattress is needed but it does come in a zip open cover so extra mattresses can be added.
The fiberglass poles are very flexible but look to be the same design as many available aftermarket. Pegs and guy ropes provided.

Overall quality is ok. better than I expected from such a cheap swag.

Vehicle: 1999 GV. Locked and Lifted

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:01 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Links from some previous Swag threads.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16864

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15651

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ooooohhhh!! I love swags!!

Mine is a Down Under single swag. Tear check canvas, simple and works a treat. It's had a good thrashing, holding up just fine. I've added an extra bit of foam to the mattress as it all got a bit thin and ineffective after a while.

The lady and myself also have an AOS double swag for when we camp together. Once again, tent style and simple. The AOS gear is a bit disappointing for the money. I believe their swags are made in WA but all their bags and other gear are all made in China. Quality is very ordinary, thoroughly unexciting.

If I were to buy another/replace one I have, hands down I'd buy Murchison River Swags and bags. Geraldton guy and the quality is bloody terrific!! Finished well. I Know heaps of guys who have them and I want one!!!

http://murchisonriverswags.com

Will try pics later

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:05 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427373038.189285.jpg

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427373079.007146.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny 2013

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:42 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hey guys i am hoping to get a double swag for myself and the girl friend... Most double swags seem to pack up too large to fit into a Jimny :/

Anyhow I found these ones thoughts??

http://www.realsmart.com.au/weisshorn-d ... -navy.html

And

http://www.swagsuperstore.com.au/produc ... ent-beige/

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 1991 swb vitara JLX

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:51 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
guys a M8 of mine custom makes swags .. he has been doing it 4 a while now along with other tarp related projects,, make a real nice swag .. lives in wollongong if anyone wants his number PM me

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:14 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
For anyone interested, got a message back from Swagsuperstore, apparently the swag listed above is packs into a carry bag with dimensions: 75 x 30 x 30cm... So would fit in a Jimny... I would prefer a swag with separate entrances on each side however...

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:44 am 
Reply with quote Top  
The lady and I use a normal swag, no poles or fly mesh. We also have a 3 man dome tent, one of the $40 ones from getaway outdoors.

Because it's not got all the extra fandangled bits on it it still rolls up small enough. The tent takes nearly no room. We've been using that setup constantly for 5 years now! Still works. Plus if it rains the tent packs up wet but the swag is still dry.

We drove from SA to Perth with that swag and tent in the back of a Sierra. I don't know if the jimny is much different dimension wise?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:51 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428967253.499548.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:56 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ended up ordering a Weisshorn double swag as seen above, won an ebay auction for $199 including delivery from ebay so that's alright... Will post back photos once it arrives!

Vehicle: Jimny (01/12)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:27 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I can not recommend enough just how good the swags are that Hal Saul makes. They're hand made in Australia with a tried and proven design with all materials sourced in oz and come with a lifetime warranty. I think even Malcolm Douglas used one... He's an old bloke who's been making swags for like 40-50 years.

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Well the swag arrived about a week ago, Havn't had a chance to use it but have slept on it in the lounge room to test it out. the 50mm high density foam was...alright? I ended up buying a ~50mm egg crate foam matress topper and put that on top of the foam matress and that has worked wonders, was only $35 from target for a double matress one, and just trimmed the edges to fit. Have a double sleeping bag to use in the swag for the time being.

Only complaint is the free bag that is included with the swag is far too small... ended up ordering an oztrail double swag bag which is perfect, can either fold the swag up so it will fit in the jimny, or just roll it up like any other swag to load it on the roof.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:04 am 
Reply with quote Top  
So my old one is nearly ready for the bin, More due to stupid propriety style poles/bends than anything. (and me setting it up / falling into it drunk too many times)

Has anyone had anything to do with Kulkyne? https://www.kulkyne.com.au/king-single-swag-70.html
The Darche is similar, slightly heavier canvas.

Ticks's a few boxes for me. Bit worried about it ending up full of dust when living on the roof. Anyone had experience with this?
I'd love to spend the cash on a Southern Cross, but when it only gets used a dozen nights a year max. I can't justify the big spend.

Vehicle: Suzuki Grand Vitara 04 manual

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Does anyone know where to buy replacement carbon fibre solid poles?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:54 am 
Reply with quote Top  
30ONA wrote:
Does anyone know where to buy replacement carbon fibre solid poles?
TYB got his last lot from Ray's . (about 4 years ago ... )

Our swag is a basic "double" 4'x7' made by a local bloke 30 + years ago. Simple design ... zip down each side. Probably cost more than the average brand name gear, ... even at mate's rates, but it's still going strong, and looks like doing so for a decade or two yet. And yes it has plenty of use.

For wet weather use we're under the ute awning anyway, and for heavier weather I hang another tarp over top.
Have a double layer of 2" foam mattress, down just past hip line then tapered to 1" at the foot.
I dislike the "tent" designed "swags" immensely, as you're always waiting for a pole to break, or get left behind ... the reason we gave up on tents.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:17 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
After all that, a bourke n wills popped up for sale for $100.

Will keep me out of trouble for a little longer.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:54 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
i had a burke and wills and cained it for about 10

brought a junglereef king single(they used to have no reserve auctions on ebay i got it for $70! hasnt been any on for a fair while now though. they are made by techniice) before doing the simpson dessert 3 or so years ago. i love it. did cape york in it last year and once again did well i slept in it every day for a month. i thrash it and its holding up better then the burke and wills did i reckon.

i just brought the young bloke a king single weisshorn($130ish on ebay) and it seems the goods did the hose test and it didnt leak

Vehicle: Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 4 dr

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I bought one from Anaconda ( NCA ) and haven't looked back.

It is the Dune brand ( their own ) Barwon double swag .... usually their RRP ( like they ever sell at that price LOL ) is around $469 however every time they have a sale or with a club member card ( which is free to join ) they come down to around $250 - $280 odd from memory.
Similar price to the Chinese made Kings brand from the Supacentre but made in India where the textile industry is much more dedicated and make to quality not just make to a price, I found it very good indeed.

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... BP90087672
The two opposing ends ( head and feet ) each have both a mesh and canvas zipper opening which is great for breeze and one side opening. I would have preferred that both opposite sides are opening, for when there is 2 people in there and it's just easier generally, however that was not a deal breaker.
It's good heavy canvas and completely waterproof, although I did season it anyway to be safe and to be sure.
Comes with pegs and guy ropes and honestly, other than maybe 2 poles to hold the side up like an awning, there's not really anything else I would change on it. Actually one thing I would probably change is a thicker mattress - maybe 75mm whether that would make any difference generally and also make the cover for the mattress removable with a simple zip around the edges. As it stands the cover is actually sewn onto the mattress so you have no real way over removing the cover to wash it unless you hang it on the good old hills hoists and hose it then let it air dry maybe.......I might just have to try that actually......otherwise they can get that closed up musty caravan smell happening.
The 50mm matress is OK, not the most comfy when compared to the mattress at home but you can sleep on it comfortably. I usually throw another foam mattress on top and I sleep like a baby - best night's sleep ever !

They have now also added to the range a new double swag which looks almost identical to the Kings brand with the big round hoop poles at either end and whilst these are still Made in India too, they have them on offer for just $199.....now I'm not sure why or how they're so much cheaper but obviously they're getting these in to try to compete against the likes of Supacentre and their cheap Kings gear.
I'd like to get one to test out actually and see what they're like.
https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... BP90145536

Anyway, I'll stick to my Barwon Double swag for now and should anyone want to see a good review video of it, it can be found here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDccYVM ... i&index=11

Grant

Vehicle: 1982 suzuki sierra ute

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:18 am 
Reply with quote Top  
bumstein wrote:
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427373038.189285.jpg

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427373079.007146.jpg

mate! that is a sick set up! very basic, fridge, swag and a few bits and bobs, cant wait till i get my Ps to finally use my gear in my Zute
my swag well, a couple of four ill mention :lol: so, i brought a very old major jim swag, i think its called that lol, its a flat swag, gets a bit poopy pants if theres ants or the forbidden nope rope hanging around, the swag was made in the early 1980s no zips, but metal buttons
gotta love showing the 100k cruisers and patrols what camping is really like!! :lol: :lol:

Vehicle: 1993 Suzuki Sierra 1.3 SWB

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:34 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
After using traditional fold over swags for about 50 years all over the country, in all weather conditions, I decided to give the Kings King single deluxe a go, I had read a lot of positive and negative feedback on King's products but I decided to give it a go anyway, it wasn't going to break the bank it was a dud. The first thing I did was leave it and a bath full of water for 2 days and then dried it out to proof it. My first experience was a week or so ago up on the Cooloola Coast just north of Noosa, we had a tremendous downpour, close to an inch of rain over a couple of hours I spent my time in the swag reading and snoozing. Guess what I was dry was a bone , no leaks. I have checked all the seams and stitching and I cannot fault it, if I had any criticism if you don't tension it properly on set up, the sides can come in a little bit, other than that I'm happy with it.

Jump to: