It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: Suzuki JT Grand Vitara Sport

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:19 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi all,

Have had a nice 2015 Grand Vitara Sport 5 door wagon for about 6 months now. It is used mainly for getting the missus around town, and on weekends we take it up the beach with a couple of dogs in the back (Suzuki branded tub mat makes a great sand catcher!).

I'd like to look at getting some upgraded / lifted suspension under the little beast (when the weather is this hot and dry, the sand is powder). Is there a thread that already details this sort of stuff? If so could someone please direct me toward it - I'm not good at navigating forums!

If there isn't a thread, does anyone have any recommendations for approx 2'' lift suspension manufacturers for this model GV?

Additionally, if larger diameter tyres are fitted, is there any way to adjust the speedo to suit on these models?

Vehicle: 2006 2.7 prestige auto.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:40 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Don’t go over 40 mm or you will really wear lower control arms .Travelling at speed over the whoopsies on the beach you will end up hitting maximum suspension travel. I do this a lot. Get as much lift as you can from rubber. I wish I had stuck with 30mm OLD MAN EMU do a good 30 mm

When I went up in tyre size it corrected how my speed under read. Use a gps and test your current speedo accuracy. But I have no ideas how to correct it if it is wrong.

Vehicle: Suzuki JT Grand Vitara Sport

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for the reply!
I just this morning had a play with the built in gps, there's a handy full screen speed display. If it's accurate, the factory speedo dial reads between 2 and 5 ks high depending on speed. So I can use this when going up in tyre size. What's the largest tyre size that could be fit under the car with a mild (30mm) lift?

Vehicle: 2006 2.7 prestige auto.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:09 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
245 75 16 is the standard go to size . Lift on the NGV doesn’t really make that much difference on what you can fit I don’t think. The limitation seems to be the gaurd rubbing at full lock. I’d check the speed with a gps app on your phone the speed on that display might be sourced from OBD.

Vehicle: Grand Vitara 2010, 2.4 litre

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I put Dobinson into mine. It blew on the Gibb River road under very severe conditions. That caused a lot of problems. Otherwise it has been really good. I cannot recommend it, nor would I say it's a bad choice.

Vehicle: 2015 lwb Grand Vitara

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:45 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I also have a 2015 GV. Mine has 225,60, r18. I have also played with the speedo and the GPS and on mine it has about 5km diferencie between the gps and the speedo (speedo down 5kms)
I have been looking at getting the lift too but wanted to change the tires first as the stock Dunlop’s are not very good on sand. Any suggestions on the best after market suspension for the GV.
Cheers,
Julio

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 2012 Grand Vitara 2.4

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 am 
Reply with quote Top  
JBF wrote:
Any suggestions on the best after market suspension for the GV.

Ive got my 2012 GV booked for the 2nd July for 40mm ironman suspension :mrgreen: heard its decent. Gunna cost me $1400 fitted

Vehicle: 2010 NGV

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:11 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
NarnieeBish wrote:
Ive got my 2012 GV booked for the 2nd July for 40mm ironman suspension :mrgreen: heard its decent. Gunna cost me $1400 fitted

Nice price.

I had a Dobinson's kit put in this year for $1600 fitted and I feel it was a great improvement over stock (which by then had done 140,000kms). Please report back how it went (maybe with a different thread).

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:07 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Biggest tyre is limited by the front strut coil seat.
245/75R16 or 245/70R17 - depending on what rims you have.
18" rims are harder to get suitable tyres that end up in this 775mm overall diameter.
The body / sub-frame design transmits (much) more noise from aggressive tread patterns (M/T tyres) than you might be happy with.
I have driven Ironman & OME kits, + OME dampers with Kings springs & would be happy with any of those. Would lean to the OME kit if it was my money.
30mm is as much as you would want - as stated, rear bush in the front control arm will have a shorter life at higher lift & the car will run out of down travel over speed bumps = a not nice, crashy ride.
They are lower to the ground than most owners who use the car for even mild 4WDriving would like - but you can't realistically do anything about it.
Underbody protection is worthwhile. The Ironman set of 3 steel plates has limitations, especially the rearmost plate & it's mount, but it is a good start point.
There are digital speedo correction 'black boxes' available - Marks 4WD adaptors for instance, but I have not used one on a NGV.
Rgs, Michael

Vehicle: 98 SQ420, 05 JB420, 21 A6G415

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 am 
Reply with quote Top  
ZUZUKI wrote:
There are digital speedo correction 'black boxes' available.

I don't know if it's still available but Jaycar used to offer one as "build it yourself" kit, and also preassembled - I haven't used it myself, but I've helped a couple of people get it installed and running via the forums - I'm now at the point where I have enough tire to need it, so, if it's still available from the Jaycar US site, I will be getting a couple later this year.

Vehicle: MY13 2.4 SWB GV (02 Paj Io)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:23 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
fordem wrote:
ZUZUKI wrote:
There are digital speedo correction 'black boxes' available.

I don't know if it's still available but Jaycar used to offer one as "build it yourself" kit, and also preassembled - I haven't used it myself, but I've helped a couple of people get it installed and running via the forums - I'm now at the point where I have enough tire to need it, so, if it's still available from the Jaycar US site, I will be getting a couple later this year.

One of the first things i'll be doing given the speeding issues i've had in my io ;)

the Jaycar kit is now only sold "assembled" - works for all digital pulse spedo's

Jump to: