It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: 2010 Jimny Sierra

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi Folks,

My 2010 Manual Jimny, which doesn't get a lot of use ~40,000K since new, has developed a noise that's driving me a bit spare. Noise occurs at idle / low revs, when the car is moving or stationery, in-gear or neutral.

Constant chirping / whistling. Noise goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed around 1cm.

Mechanic suggests it's a push-off bearing. $40 part (yay) $500 in labour to pull the gearbox in order to get to it (facepalm).

I've seen a couple of threads here from a search that sound fairly similar, so if anyone who's had it happen to them, or seen it before would chime in, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Vehicle: Coily.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:03 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
matt_g wrote:
Hi Folks,

Constant chirping / whistling. Noise goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed around 1cm.

Mechanic suggests it's a push-off bearing. $40 part (yay) $500 in labour to pull the gearbox in order to get to it (facepalm).

Thanks.

Yep,Clutch bearing is most likely culprit on those symptoms.If vehicle is used in the sand or mud/water its amazing how they work their way into the Bell Housing and affect the clutch/bearing.
Also its amazing how long they last making a noise,i had a Prince Skyline GT and the bearing went at around 50,000 and it was still working but noisy when i sold it at around 100,000.
The thing is if your going off road its too much of a risk it will seize so best to get it done but normally the clutch is done at the same time,labour cost is still the same.
Someone on here may do it for,easy job,knock it over in a few hours.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:24 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
It could be that your clutch cable is a little too tight and the the throw out bearing is *just* touching the clutch. That's very easy to check and adjust yourself.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:12 am 
Reply with quote Top  
sideways wrote:
It could be that your clutch cable is a little too tight and the the throw out bearing is *just* touching the clutch. That's very easy to check and adjust yourself.

if it's DIYable, i'll try to figure out why the grip on the top of the gearstick has come loose and twists left and right, while i'm at it.

What's involved in checking and adjusting yourself?

cheers.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 am 
Reply with quote Top  
The easiest way to check is if there's clutch pedal free play.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 am 
Reply with quote Top  
matt_g wrote:
sideways wrote:

if it's DIYable, i'll try to figure out why the grip on the top of the gearstick has come loose and twists left and right, while i'm at it.

What's involved in checking and adjusting yourself?

cheers.

The gear knob simply screws on. If you can't turn it tighter (clockwise) far enough then pull it completely off, apply some thread locker, put it to its correct position and let it set overnight.

If you crawl under the car the clutch cable is next to the bellhousing on the drivers side. Adjusting it is quite self explanatory once you're there. I don't know if the procedure is in the owners manual but it's certainly in the workshop manual.

FWIW if the throw out bearing was dead it would make noise when you push the clutch in. With the cable properly adjusted and your foot off the clutch it has no contact with any moving parts so it shouldn't make any noise.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:46 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
sideways wrote:
The gear knob simply screws on. If you can't turn it tighter (clockwise) far enough then pull it completely off, apply some thread locker, put it to its correct position and let it set overnight.

I wasn't sure about it, because it seems to turn in both directions, it'll twist too far towards me or too far away with equal ease... and i'm pretty sure i've never spun it around to loosen it up that much. So the rubber grip should rotate while the stick itself remains still? I'm not gong to be turning it, and suddenly find myself with the entire thing in my hands, and the sounds of small washers and sprigs disappearing into the depths of the transmission tunnel? :roll:

sideways wrote:
If you crawl under the car the clutch cable is next to the bellhousing on the drivers side. Adjusting it is quite self explanatory once you're there. I don't know if the procedure is in the owners manual but it's certainly in the workshop manual.

I'll have a look online and see if i can find a workshop manual. Would the idea be to have the car idling while doing it, and adjust until the noise stops, or is that a good way to lose fingers?

sideways wrote:
FWIW if the throw out bearing was dead it would make noise when you push the clutch in. With the cable properly adjusted and your foot off the clutch it has no contact with any moving parts so it shouldn't make any noise.

Yeah, depending on what the correct terminology is, but it definitely makes the noise at idle, in neutral, with feet off the pedals. Depressing the clutch pedal by even 1cm or so, and the noise stops. Let the pedal off, noise comes back.

cheers.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:31 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Input shaft bearing on transmission. It's not the thrust bearing. As sideways points out, it would make the noise when the clutch was depressed if it was the thrust or pilot bearing.

Woah there - are you saying the STICK is turning, not just the knob? if so you have a problem with the shift mechanism, not the knob. It's attached to the rear of the gearbox via a relay shaft, from memory, so you won't be messing with the inside of the gearbox at all.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:33 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
Input shaft bearing on transmission. It's not the thrust bearing. As sideways points out, it would make the noise when the clutch was depressed if it was the thrust or pilot bearing.

So are you adding to the idea that it's not the "push off bearing" as my mechanic described it? His explanation (demonstrated on another gearbox he happened to have open at the time) was that pressing the clutch loads the bearing (from the side?) and stops the squeak.

Gwagensteve wrote:
Woah there - are you saying the STICK is turning, not just the knob? if so you have a problem with the shift mechanism, not the knob. It's attached to the rear of the gearbox via a relay shaft, from memory, so you won't be messing with the inside of the gearbox at all.

I wasn't sure, but just went out with a torch to check the 1cm or so of gearstick between the rubber skirt and the chrome trim on the gearnob, and it wasn't moving when I turn the knob left to right. Tried turning it clockwise to tighten, and over the course of a few revolutions it completely ate that whole centimetre of exposed stick and tightened up in the correct alignment. God only knows how it could have come loose in the first place, it's not like you could not notice it unscrewing if the alignment was wrong... unless it is shipped from the factory not screwed all the way on, and the thread's just gotten loose in position over the years?

cheers.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:32 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gear knobs do sometimes come loose. Many are now press fitted to avoid this problem.

The "push-off" bearing is called a thrust bearing.

As we're saying, if the clutch cable is properly adjusted (so it has a small amount of free play) the thrust bearing will NOT BE TURNING when your foot is off the clutch pedal. Neither will the pilot bearing. Both bearings only turn when the clutch pedal is depressed. In the following simple drawing, you can see that the thrust bearing is pulled away from the clutch when the clutch is engaged (i.e you're not touching the pedal)

Vehicle: 98 SQ420, 05 JB420, 21 A6G415

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
matt_g wrote:
Depressing the clutch pedal by even 1cm or so, and the noise stops. Let the pedal off, noise comes back.

Read that sentence carefully...

Yes, with the cable properly adjusted, the clutch release bearing should not be rotating, and any noise that disappears when the pedal is depressed will be coming from the transmission - BUT - it's going to take more than one cm of clutch pedal movement to completely disengage the clutch so that the input shaft stops turning.

IF - note that - IF - the cable is not properly adjusted, and the release bearing is just touching the diaphragm fingers on the clutch plate, it will be noisy, and the slightest increase in pressure will silence it, provided that the bearing itself is good.

The key portion of the sentence is "by one cm or so" - the noise is more than likely the release bearing rattling because of an incorrect adjustment.

Jump to: