It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Renault

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:52 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi all new to the forum and looking to buy a Sierra, I’ve been around a bit and had a few 4wds including maybe the best modded Great Wall wagon going around. Any way ime now thinking of building a Suzuki Sierra and looking for advice on which model to start as a platform. Something that I can get all the bits to lift , lock, alter t/case and diff gears . Hope I can get some good advice from you
Dennis

Vehicle: A manly awesome man jimny

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:58 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
1.3 narrow track LWB is the go.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:32 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for that . What year are we looking at? And why this model?

Vehicle: Carless

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52270 this will be some of the best advice you can read on the forums as they basicly told you everything needed to know about a sierra.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:22 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
saph wrote:
http://auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52270 this will be some of the best advice you can read on the forums as they basicly told you everything needed to know about a sierra.

Great reading. My posts still need to be moderated so cant reply quickly

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:35 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
LWB wide track if you can find one, but they are incredibly rare. Next, sheps recommendation. Then in order, If you’re regular sized, 1.3 NT trayback. Then SWB WT 1.3, LWB 1.0, SWB NT 1.3, SWB 1.0 and coil sierra (SJ80) a distant last.

Vehicle: '92 Sierra, 1.6efi, SPOA, 31s.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I'd buy a new jimny before an SJ80.

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
It sort of depends on what you want to end up with.
The LWB cars are favored because they are inherently & ultimately more stable in serious off-road conditions, which sounds like you want to be doing if looking for locks & ratios etc.
The easiest way of finding a LWB is to look at the 1990s Maruti (Indian built) 1.0litre cars. They started out as a full length 'tub', but most had the back cut off & a fibreglass cab & alloy tray fitted.
Not the best start, but the other LWB options, as has been said, are hard to find in decent condition.
Take a bit of work to turn into 'ultimate' specification (although there are a few combinations on this theme).
These are W/T, with lower diff ratios than 'regular' W/T versions, you can fit in the 'cab', they will be 10 or so years newer than just about any other LWB you will find, but most can't live with the 1.0litre / 4speed combination.
Having said that, most will suggest swapping a 1.3litre out for a 1.6 so you are already up for swapping & engineering.
Anyways, welcome & good luck with your search.
Rgs, Michael

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:08 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for all the info. So I've been browsing American gear sites and some things like crawl gear and lockers are not available for certain year models.
Any help with best year model?
Then I got to work out narrow track or wide, you've told me both :)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:45 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I say narrow track as the suspension spacing works well with wide track diffs. 1984 to 89.
I would avoid a maruti unless you plan on replacing everything

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:48 am 
Reply with quote Top  
But realistically you would be better off getting a cheap beater SJ50/70 and just thrash it for a bit before getting carried away
as sierras aren’t for everyone and they are very different to everything else.

What fucks them is when people try and make them into the same as every other make.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:45 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for all the info from everyone. There not as cheap as I was hoping, thought I could find something nice for under 3G. Will keep looking

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:34 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Bigden wrote:
thought I could find something nice for under 3G.

They’re well sought after and not as common as they used to be, this means you generally have to decide between cheap or nice.

There are bargains that pop up here and there but it takes some persistent scouting and the ability to jump on them when they appear. Good luck, hope you find one

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Maybe like shep said, plenty of fun to be had in the meantime in a SWB - SJ50 = N/T 1.3 G13A/5spd - sort of late 1984 to 1988.5, SJ70 = W/T 1.3 G13B/5spd - 1988.5 to 1996. (1996on to 1998 = SJ80 / Coily - don't go there for a hard core car base).
Then you can decide if a Sierra is really for you & if, so, keep a look out for a LWB.
Any :blingbling: you get for one of these as a SWB will transfer across into a LWB version (with a bit more work to do so with a Maruti).
Rust & body damage is what kills Sierras. All the mechanical stuff can, & often is, changed.
We seem now to be in the realm of $2k for a complete, maybe non running, but fixable car, $4k for an average running, registered car, but probably not pritty, $6-7k for a nice, clean car, jump in & go.
Anything over that will have extensive mods, done well, engineered etc, although, would you believe.......we just sold a 1988.5+ W/T, all done up & nice like (back to bare chassis, stripped of every nut & bolt, rebuilt G16A + Vitara 5spd, repainted, lots of accessories & in-your-face powder coating etc, for $30,000 :shocked:
The guy has had WWII Jeeps for ever & got offered & accepted silly money for his Jeep, so he paid us silly money for our Sierra - was meant to be a long term display car & we originally told him it wasn't for sale, but everything is at the right price.
$30k was the right price. He looked at it as a more modern Jeep - Disc brakes, 5spd gearbox, (Jimny) power steering, heating & demisting etc. in a similar sized, fold the windscreen down, take the doors off sort of deal.
A few other projects on the go, but we will have to find another to build now.
Rgs, Michael

Jump to: