It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:47 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: 1992 Sierra sj70 Tin Top

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
hey guys

my 1992 g13ba tin top sierra currently has a weber carby on it i think its a cheap replica, i just cant get it tuned to how i want it and i would like to go back to the stock carby and stock intake, (car had the weber when i purchased it). i also just purchased land on a steep hill and would hate to think how the weber would even try to handle that.

i found what looks like a new unit on ebay for 166 dollars

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carb-Carby- ... ctupt=true

would i be asking for trouble buying this unit ? any other place i can get a new oem quality carb for my g13ba, im looking for reliability and smooth running rather then performance.

sorry for all the dumb questions.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:29 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I reckon you’ll be better if looking into the Toyota 3K or 4K carby, you can buy them cheap off eBay. others have done the conversion so its been trialed and tested. Have a look in the good tech section or search, there should be plenty of info on it. Hope this helps

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
i see they sell a conversion kit on bay that adapts a 3k to the zook, i might go down this route. do you know if their is any difference between a 3k and 4k carb if im looking for reliability?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Not that I’m aware of but I haven’t done the conversion myself. Search 3K and see what others have posted about it

Vehicle: 90 Lwb + 89 Swb

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:02 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Some 3k vs 4k points. I thought they had a install article also but couldn't find it:
https://www.certifiedmachine.com/parts-for-samurais

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:55 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
think i know why my weber has been giving me so much grief. the choke looks like its sticking at some point in its travel, will look at it more tomorrow. i do still plan to convert to 3k carb soon but for now i think i might rip the electric choke off and convert it to manual for now.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:59 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
fujitsubo wrote:
i think i might rip the electric choke off and convert it to manual for now.

Good choice. The elec choke on the Weber’s are rubbish IMO. I disconnected it complete and ran without a choke. Starting was a little performance but it was better than assing around with the choke mech.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:10 am 
Reply with quote Top  
The choke has played up on both my Webers. It get stuck closed, or open. Sometimes the spring isn't strong enough to close it. I had a pin on the bellcrank fall out on my old one. My Sierra is terrible with the choke stuck open, very hard to start and keep running.

I've bought and fitted a number of the new cheap eBay/china carbies and I've always been pleased. I fitted an eBay 4K carb to a friends 1.3 sierra and it ran great, they're like $90 posted. I'd never bother rebuilding a stock carb for that price. You don't need any sort of adapter kit, just a choke cable and a fitting for the fuel inlet.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:00 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
so i have taken the weber off the last owner installed, ready for the new 3k carb, i have noticed they have ported the inlet manifold to suit a weber.... so now its no longer divorced...

is this going to give me issues ? should i be getting a new manifold ? i have new gaskets and an adapter made for the 3k carb that i will be using when installing so further up it goes back into a divorced holes.

this spacer and 2 gaskets.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:21 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I’d leave it how it is..

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:45 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
That's what I thought, as long as the gasket is sealing it then no harm done.

Jump to: